DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60

Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by stecom90
The idrive shows vin of ssd in bluetooth menu. It's normal.
You must code the cic with .ssd file and compare the new .man with your old e60 .man
For other module, don't use the .ssd file
I know about everything you say, these steps already completed. But now I can't code anything with original FA, that's my problem. I can solve it replacing CIC.C1A from E60 daten to CIC.C1A from E89 for ability to code everything with original FA except CIC (because of incorrect keyword codes in CIC.C1A) and MEDIA (because MEDIA is not shown on ECU list and that's normal situation).
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Members

Don't try to code cic with original FA and don't mix cic files.
For another module, in ncs, you choose CAS and when you push "back", NCS read your original FA stored in CAS
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by stecom90
Don't try to code cic with original FA and don't mix cic files.
For another module, in ncs, you choose CAS and when you push "back", NCS read your original FA stored in CAS
When I push "Back" with original FA (from CAS or another module, not matter), NCS says me, that he don't know option HFP_AUDIO_PROFILE and then I can't choose any ECU for coding. That's all. I'll post screenshots later.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
New Members

Hello again!
Answering for own questions:

1) To change BMW Bluetooth name you need Tool32: run Tool32, open CMEDIAR.prg, find "steuern_bt_geratename" job, enter new name (f. e. "BMW " + last 5 digits from you car's VIN) and run job once (F5). That's all. After your car goes sleep, changes will be applied.

2) For ability to use original VO after coding CIC with fake VO you need read CIC configuration, open FSW_PSW.TRC, then remove HFP_AUDIO_PROFILE option completely, rename TRC-file to FSW_PSW.MAN and code it to CIC using fake VO from SSD. Then you can use original VO for coding all ECU's like factory method, including CIC, but remember: if you code it with empty MAN or factory settings profile you loose your combox configuration and it will not work. So be careful while coding anything
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 LCI 2010

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Attached is an .ssd file (rename to *.ssd) that will allow you to read the COMBOX right away without any changes.

If you've never used a ssd file before.
1. In NCS after you choose the Profile, click the VIN button.
2. Then instead of clicking the ZCS button you choose "Open File".
3. Then point to your ssd file. That will fool NCS into thinking the car is anything with any VO. Basically does not look at the car.
4. Click the back button and now you are in the normal NCS except its using a different car/vin/vo to what you have. In that list you will see the MEDIA ecu listed.

You may actually want to create a better ssd file and that is simple too. Just grap the normal fa.trc when you connect using NCSExpert and then modify the attached ssd file.

This method avoids you having to change the actual VO or date on the car at all.
Hi

In the .SSD file there is E90, but my car is E60 from 0909, should i "FA WRITE" with the E90 text or should i change it to E60? And the date to 0911?

Regards.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 M5
Model Year: 2006

Hello all, I've got an 06 E60 M5 with CIC and combox retrofit. Used the E90 .SSD files to install the combox. Everything works OK now except the climate control and the internet options.

1) when I press the AUTO button, originally before installing the Combox, there is a climate control pop up screen appear. But after I retrofit the combox, nothing appear on the screen while press AUTO button. Which setting do I need to do?

2) still do not know how to use the internet function. Someone told me that I need to use the "Russian" combox VIN in order to use it. Does anyone know how?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

Subscribed
Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

Subscribed
Old 12-23-2016, 12:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530d E60

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Attached is an .ssd file (rename to *.ssd) that will allow you to read the COMBOX right away without any changes.

If you've never used a ssd file before.
1. In NCS after you choose the Profile, click the VIN button.
2. Then instead of clicking the ZCS button you choose "Open File".
3. Then point to your ssd file. That will fool NCS into thinking the car is anything with any VO. Basically does not look at the car.
4. Click the back button and now you are in the normal NCS except its using a different car/vin/vo to what you have. In that list you will see the MEDIA ecu listed.

You may actually want to create a better ssd file and that is simple too. Just grap the normal fa.trc when you connect using NCSExpert and then modify the attached ssd file.

This method avoids you having to change the actual VO or date on the car at all.
Hi Bruce_miranda,

I did the .ssd method as you described but when I open the file I get error invalid FA: #0914..

I have a E60 from 2004 with CIC and I have a combox bought on ebay.. But this method give me error.. Do you know what the problem could be?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 528i
Smile Need help with Coding the combox

Originally Posted by Slyncka
So I've been meaning to start this topic for a while now but just have been too busy. I think if I at least start it then I'll be more motivated to update.

I just want to share my whole cic retrofit with everyone so they can maybe benefit from it. I put countless hours into the research, 100's of bookmarks, taking apart my car more times than I'd like to remember, and sorting through the good/bad/intentionally misleading info.

The reason I want to make a post is because I think its what these forums should be about, not serving as a group that can be exploited and charged for information that isn't patented, copyrighted, or whatever you want to call it. And that's what I've seen way too much of on all of the forums I've visited.

Anyways, enough of that. I basically did the whole thing on my own with the info I found from different places, I'll post the sources as best I can (there are a ton). The easiest part is the hardware replacement and there are already a lot of posts about that so I'll try to only talk about stuff I had trouble with or thought could be different.

The main areas I'd like to talk about are on the software side like...

-Changing the language and other general settings with ncs expert. Don't pay someone $200 to do this.

-Getting the VIN from the new cic so you can get the fsc code to update the maps. You can get the fsc code for $100. It most likely comes from a piece of software called e-sys or straight from BMW. In the end it doesn't matter where it came from if it works. You type it in via the idrive controller after you put in the first nav update DVD (which can be downloaded and burned)

-Activating the navigation feature is needed and the best way to do this is with a CAN bus chip. This is because you can sell the piece later or sell it with the CIC to help resale since this is a clear issue a new buyer has to deal with. (I still haven't got around to figuring out exactly what these do, but I know it isn't that complicated and I'm still learning about the CAN bus)

-You can get the 6FL BMW apps without the really expensive snap in adapter with a simple pin swap. This is kind of iffy since it doesn't retain the Apple standards for how they ground the iPhone. I dont have an iPhone so this may be one of the last parts I check out, but since its so easy who knows.

-Playing DVDs while the car is in motion can be coded very easily and doesn't need any extra hardware.

-The combox media costs $242 brand new straight from BMW, do not pay someone $600+ for this thing when they just bought it and are reselling it. This one really got me...

-The car will need to be coded to think its an e90 since the combox was never released for the e60. This also isn't very hard using ncs expert but can be tricky at times. Im about 95% there on this but not sure if it's my phone or the car.

Don't worry about any of this being "OEM" because its not, anyone telling you otherwise is full of it, worry about it working.

Hopefully if a few replies show up it'll motivate me to organize this stuff since there are so many pictures and other files. Im not looking to teach how to start using ncs expert since this is documented well and you're not going to 'brick' your car (I wish it would actually let me do more incorrect stuff since this would be easier for this stuff).

I just thought I would start a thread make up for the other mods I've learned on this forum.

I'd also be willing to help install or code for someone who's close to western PA for free. Im not kidding when I say I think these forums should be a place to share information.
Hey Slyncka - I have a 2010 e60 with factory CIC. I installed combox media to get bluetooth audio basically, I am unable to do the coding. Can you help me with it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60