DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing from Pre Lci Lights to Lci Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,
Default Changing from Pre Lci Lights to Lci Lights

hi guys i got my self a set of Lci rear lights and a Lm2 i have also ordered the retro fit wires from bmw

i had a few questions i know i need to wire the two wires from the retro fit wires back to the Lm2 what do these two wires as in what is there exact function

also would fitting the Lm2 into my car give me any new codes or faults?

i know i need to code the new lm2 to the car, i think the Lm2 is from a Lci model without xenons and i dont have factory xenons i have aftermarket H7R xenons i take it that wont cause any issues?

thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: Coupe

You won't have issues with the LM2 as long as you code it properly (vin, etc). You will also need to code the LCI tails.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

What would need to be coded for the tails will they not work once lm2 is coded and all wires are plugged in?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: Coupe

Originally Posted by BallyM5
What would need to be coded for the tails will they not work once lm2 is coded and all wires are plugged in?
Sorry, you're right, I was thinking 2 different things as I posted that. You'll be ok with just coding the LM2
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d E60 *///M Pack* CarbonSwartz

There are cars with LM2 equipped with Pre-LCI lights (manufactured from ??-2006 to 03-2007), so just coding LM2 to your car is not enough to make the tail lights work correctly. NCSExpert will code the LM2 with the configuration according to your MFG date + VO, which corresponds to PRE-LCI Lights, so you will get bulb check errors in the blinkers and wrong brake/position lights and missing functions, even if you wire the two extra wires from the tail lights to your LM2.

The OEM retrofit kit is intended to retrofit the Headlights and tail lights at once, the correct procedure is;
1st - Install the LM2 (Direct swap)
2nd - Wire everything related to headlights and tail lights correctly
3rd - Add +MUEB to your VO in NCSExpert (CAS and LMA)
4th - Code your LM2 module (LMA) with STANDARD Expertmode to your car

And everything should be working perfectly. BUT you are only retrofitting the tail lights and keeping the Pre-LCI headlights, and if you do it this way you will get plenty of errors about headlights, so the process for you to have the job done is much more complicated, it would be as follows:

1st - Install LM2
2nd - Code your LM2 module (LMA) with Expertmode to your car
3rd - Check if everything is working with your PRE-LCI lights + LM2. If yes, then save a LMA.TRC and keep it safe.
4th - Install your new LCI Tail lights and make all the wiring including the two new wires to the LM2.
5th - Add +MUEB to your VO in NCSExpert (CAS and LMA)
6th - Code your LM2 module (LMA) with STANDARD Expertmode to your car
7th - Check if your tail lights work correctly. if you have brake light instead of led rods when in driving lights, you have to swap pin1 with pin3 in the Pre-LCI connector side of each OEM rear lights adapter. At this moment you will have errors in your idrive regarding your headlights, that is normal.
8th - Save a new LMA.TRC
9th - Compare the first LMA.TRC with the new LMA.TRC, the purpose of this is make a final LMA.TRC which merges the pre-lci headlights parameters with the LCI tail lights parameters.

Headlights parameters are much more cryptic and complicated, so it is easier to use the first LMA.TRC as base (with headlights working) and replace on it all parameters related to Tail Lights with the new ones from the new LMA.TRC (with tail lights working).

10th - Rename the final LMA.TRC to FSW_PSW.MAN and code the LMA with it using a profile capable of doing that.

This way you will have full oem LCI tail lights working as it should with the same voltages and everything as OEM, and keeping the Pre-LCI headlights still working perfectly.

Maybe there is an easier method, just wiring everything and then trying to mod the LMA.TRC by hand without comparing, just ftrying and fixing the errors one by one, or maybe someone in the forum has gone through all the process and knows which parameters should be changed directly to make just the LCI tail lights working. But this way you will never know if your voltages and other parameters are fully OEM.

Good Luck.

Last edited by RoberMC; 02-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for taking your time with the reply I really appreciate it.

I test fitted the lights last night just to see how they looked and worked with the lm1 they worked very similar to this ricky effect with no rear brake bulbs coming on behind the bars the bars went brighter when you press the brake so did the round fog light bulb

The indicators worked fine and so did the rear fog light

Only thing that didn't come on was the reverse lights

Do I need to change vin on lm2 and flash or does just coding with expert profile do the job

Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Any idea what those two wires do that have to go to the lm2? From the retro fit wiring?

Can I not use sone sort of resistors if that's what there job is in lm2
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d E60 *///M Pack* CarbonSwartz

You need to install the LM2 to make the tail lights work correctly.

Pre-LCI tail lights have:
1- Turn light
2- Reverse light
3- Fog Light that doubles as position light
4- 1 brake light that doubles as position light
5- 1 brake light that doubles ad position light

LCI Tail Lights have
1- Turn signal
2- Reverse
3- Fog light that doubles as position light
4- 1 Brake light
5- 1 Brake light
6- Led rods as dedicated position lights

That is why you need the two extra wires, LCI tail lights have the same functions, but with one more light, if you don't wire them, you will miss one function on each light. It is possible to make them work with LM2 without the extra wires, sacrifying one of the brake lights to make the rods light, but it requires hacking the retrofit kit adapters and probably some coding hacking also.

When you do FA_WRITE on the LM2 it will get your current VIN and vehicle order (VO), the same applies to CAS.

Install LM2, load NCSexpert, open Expertprofile (must be the original untouched expertprofile) and just load VIN/FA/ETC from CAS, edit it to add +MUEB, then FA_WRITE to CAS and LMA, and then SG_CODIEREN to LMA.

Try your LCI tail lights without the new wires installed to see which function is missing.

REMEMBER: To make BACKUPS of everything before doing anything.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RoberMC
You need to install the LM2 to make the tail lights work correctly.

Pre-LCI tail lights have:
1- Turn light
2- Reverse light
3- Fog Light that doubles as position light
4- 1 brake light that doubles as position light
5- 1 brake light that doubles ad position light

LCI Tail Lights have
1- Turn signal
2- Reverse
3- Fog light that doubles as position light
4- 1 Brake light
5- 1 Brake light
6- Led rods as dedicated position lights

That is why you need the two extra wires, LCI tail lights have the same functions, but with one more light, if you don't wire them, you will miss one function on each light. It is possible to make them work with LM2 without the extra wires, sacrifying one of the brake lights to make the rods light, but it requires hacking the retrofit kit adapters and probably some coding hacking also.

When you do FA_WRITE on the LM2 it will get your current VIN and vehicle order (VO), the same applies to CAS.

Install LM2, load NCSexpert, open Expertprofile (must be the original untouched expertprofile) and just load VIN/FA/ETC from CAS, edit it to add +MUEB, then FA_WRITE to CAS and LMA, and then SG_CODIEREN to LMA.

Try your LCI tail lights without the new wires installed to see which function is missing.

REMEMBER: To make BACKUPS of everything before doing anything.

thanks RoberMC once i get a chance il go ahead with fitting the LM2 and see what errors get

i have made a back up already of the LM trace

il try the lights with out the wires and see what difference it makes

if they are needed to make it work il go ahead and fit them

how hard is it to make these work like the ricky effect i guess i wont have any strobing issues as i have a LM2 and if i change the wires to make it work like the ricky effect

its weird how the LM1 does this effect without any modifications could it be achieved by adding the brake light wire to the rods wire?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: Sapphire black-stealth e60

Im looking in2 doin this but it looks long lol so i need the lci rear lights miranda cables nd im not sure weather mine is lm1 or lm2(07 plate 520d) thanks in advanve 4 any replys

Quick Reply: Changing from Pre Lci Lights to Lci Lights