DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Change Brake Fluid

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My idrive is telling me that I need to change my brake fluid. Anybody have a DIY?

I did a search, but couldn't find anyone asking about or doing the job on their own.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by Mike_F' post='631874' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:45 PM
My idrive is telling me that I need to change my brake fluid. Anybody have a DIY?

I did a search, but couldn't find anyone asking about or doing the job on their own.

Thanks,
Mike

The location of the brake fluid reservoir is behind the cabin filter.
This is generic DIY but applicable to BMW as long as you can find the bleeder valve on each of the brake caliper.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...to/4213448.html

Have 1/2 friends to help you:
1. MAKE SURE the reservoir is always FULL
2. Help press and release the pedal
3. Tighten and release the bleeder valve to bleed the fluid.

If you are not a track addict w/ R comp and High Heat Range Race brake pads you will be HAPPY w/ the $7 a bottle Valvoline Synthetic that you can find @ Autozone. I used this on my previous STi for track days and it never gave up on me:

For ABS, you may need a electronic tool to activate the valve.
But what I do, drive around and find a road w/ dirt/sand and slam the brake to engage the ABS couple of times then go back home and rebleed

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Members

Thanks for the instructions. Can you please confirm that these are the proper steps?

1) Suck out brake fluid from master cylinder reservoir.
2) Fill master cylinder reservoir with new brake fluid.
3) Bleed each break until you get new break fluid coming out.
4) Drive around and break hard to activate ABS a couple times.
5) Rebleed each break again.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

You've got them correct Mike!

Watch this video, it's for Honda 599 Motorcycle but the idea is the same:

Just make sure when you bleed them, you don't let the air get sucked into line when you open the bleeder valve.

Have someone at driver's seat (to brake and release), another @ brake fluid reservoir (to make sure reservoir is always full), and another at the bleeder valve

You also need to start the engine.

Bleeder Valve guy: Yell "Brake" then loosen the bleeder valve then fluid will flow. Tighten it back then yell " Release".
Repeat until clean brake fluid flows out.

Some cars require specific sequence of which brake needs to be bled.
As for BMW, I don't really the detail because I haven't ordered the shop manual.

But rule of thumb from what I've seen/done, always bleed the brake that is the furthest away from the master brake cylinder. I usually do it in this order: FR, RR, RL, then FL.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Bavarian Autosport (http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp) has great DIY sections in their newsletters. Look at Summer 2004 and Fall 2005 for brake fluid changes.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 PM
JPJ
Contributors

I would suggest looking at getting a pressure bleeder (mine is from Motive). I've done both methods before and the pressure bleeder makes it so much easier/faster and a one man job. The basic unit is $50 from Summitracing.com. I upgraded to have extra attachments (I've used it on my 1969 GTO and on a newer GM car, plus did my E46 330i that I had before the E60). I do some driving schools, so have to change the fluid more often then BMW standard frequency.

It will last forever and is a nice tool to have.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Members

Don't suck the fluid out of the reservoir, it will induce air into the system, if air gets into the ABS pump you will need to purge it, and thats almost impossible without a diagnostic computer.

Just top up as you use it. Try and rent or buy a vacuum bleeder, it draws the new fluid through the system without introducing any air, the pressure systems can either aerate the fluid (bad) or blast it all over the place (worse).

if you buy one you could rent it out to members on here!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chris f' post='643602
the pressure systems can ... aerate the fluid
News to me. The BMW service documents (34 00 050 and 34 00 025 to be specific) show the use of a pressure bleeder.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='643780' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:47 AM
News to me. The BMW service documents (34 00 050 and 34 00 025 to be specific) show the use of a pressure bleeder.

Have you ever used a pressure bleeder?

I'm a fully qualified vehicle mechanic and I don't like them, any garage worth its salt uses a vacuum system, why would you use pressurised air to bleed your brakes when you don't want air in the system?
I'd understand if there was no other way, but there is.
Also, it fills the reservoir up to the top so you have to pump some out to get the correct level anyway.

Spend your money on a vacuum system.

This is a cheap DIY type one:
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Brake-Bleeder...pe-Sealey-VS020
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chris f' post='643924' date='Aug 11 2008, 05:10 AM
it fills the reservoir up to the top so you have to pump some out to get the correct level anyway.
If you don't empty the reservoir all the way, and it fills the reservoir up to the top, then how is air introduced to the system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid