DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey evryone. Do not buy any bypass module. You can do yourself a bypass module very simple.

the steps:

step 1: Locate the sensor module: The sensor module is located under the passenger seat and it?s accessible from the back of the seat. Use a mirror to locate it. Rotate it gently and it will come loose very easy.

The module has 2 connectors. One with 2 wires (BLUE and WHITE) and the other connector has 3 whires.

The BLUE-WHITE cable goes to the seat mat. We cut the seat mat whire 5 inches from the connector. Now we have a piece of whire (blue-white) with the connector. now we need a 200 ohm resistor and a diode (i used 1n4001). All you have to do is solder the diode with the resistor at the end of the whires with the connector, plug the connector back in the module and you-re done. (simplified version: cut the whires that go to the seat mat and instead of the seat mat solder the resistor and the diode) it will simulate that someone is sitting on the seat.
Worked for me (E60 2005)

I have attached some pictures found on the internet so you can have an example. In some newer models you don`t have to reset the airbag light but older models you must reset the airbag light after you install the bypass module
BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT-bmw-srs-module-disconnected1.jpg
BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT-918-1363-large.jpg
BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT-bmw-srs-bypass-schematic.jpg

Excuse my english... good luck !
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

But if you go Mcguiver on your seat mat, will it go off in an accident or just bypass because your tricking it?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by wliue60
Hi~
My car (05 545i) has passenger seat mat sensor problem. And the airbag and seatbelt lights are on. I went to a dealership, confirmed! Now I got a bypass module off from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This bypass module has two wires which is easy installation for the older seat mat sensor. But my car has three wires to the mat sensor. There are white, Red and Brown.

Anyone has any ideas know how to connect it? The seller said he has customer that`s done it already.
Thanks for your help.
Hello. I have managed to get my airbag light off with the following procedure. Follow that 3 whires and you will see that they go unther the leder of the seat. Get the leder off the clamps and you will find the SBE unit. The unit has a grey cable and on the other side it-s linked with the seat mat. Cut the 4 plastic whires that come from the seat mat, and solder 2 150 ohms resistors like in the picture atached. It worked for me. You may have to reset the airbag light. Tell me if it worked for you. (you will have to use a cutter to cut the silicone so you can solder the resistors. Easy job. Good luck !BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT-seat-mat-bypass.png
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
But if you go Mcguiver on your seat mat, will it go off in an accident or just bypass because your tricking it?
if you test a good seat mat you will see that it has around 1300 ohms when nobody sits on it. When someone sits on it it depends but it has around 700,800,900 ohms. The diode has around 500 and the resistor 200, total of ~700 ohms. The answer is YES. it will blow off in case of accident.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

It's crazy because the dealer said it wasnt my seat mat, it was the bst cable in the back. (battery safety terminal) wtf?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem not too long ago, but it went away after a day or two. If it ever comes back, I'll know what to do.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this bypass trick the car into thinking that someone is sat in the passenger seat at all times? If so, then I guess the seatbelt warning will be on all of the time?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwfive
Does this bypass trick the car into thinking that someone is sat in the passenger seat at all times? If so, then I guess the seatbelt warning will be on all of the time?
A very good question.

I suspect the bypass must emulate an unoccupied seat (but not open circuit which is what happens when the oe mat sensor breaks).
Else as you point out the seat belt chime would go off all the time wouldn't it??

So unless somebody can convince otherwise isn't the bypass module trick potentially permanently disabling the passenger airbag??

Anybody?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by wliue60
Hi~
My car (05 545i) has passenger seat mat sensor problem. And the airbag and seatbelt lights are on. I went to a dealership, confirmed! Now I got a bypass module off from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This bypass module has two wires which is easy installation for the older seat mat sensor. But my car has three wires to the mat sensor. There are white, Red and Brown.

Anyone has any ideas know how to connect it? The seller said he has customer that`s done it already.
Thanks for your help.
And you had this fixed already under the recall? If not, check if it was.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Members

Hi guys I have a 2005 525i and i try to loca the black square box under the front passenger side and i can't find, Please help pin point it and pics it PLease.

Quick Reply: BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT