DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT

Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

Hi~
My car (05 545i) has passenger seat mat sensor problem. And the airbag and seatbelt lights are on. I went to a dealership, confirmed! Now I got a bypass module off from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This bypass module has two wires which is easy installation for the older seat mat sensor. But my car has three wires to the mat sensor. There are white, Red and Brown.

Anyone has any ideas know how to connect it? The seller said he has customer that`s done it already.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Members

look, unsure how to connect, BUT, You will have to go to the dealer to reset the code...! that is something you cannot avoid.

BTW, i would also check with the dealer if by "bypassing" the seat mat sensor, you are completely disabling the airbag for good. (not that it isn't already disable because of the error)

The only real way to fix this is to get it fixed properly, and hope it doesn't happen again.
Its a fault that happens a lot and BMW fix the issue by replacing the mat with another factory one (will last just as long)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Make sure your car is not part of the recall. My 04 was and it was replaced free of charge. Please also note as long as the warning is there the airbag will not work on that side.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
look, unsure how to connect, BUT, You will have to go to the dealer to reset the code...! that is something you cannot avoid.

BTW, i would also check with the dealer if by "bypassing" the seat mat sensor, you are completely disabling the airbag for good. (not that it isn't already disable because of the error)

The only real way to fix this is to get it fixed properly, and hope it doesn't happen again.
Its a fault that happens a lot and BMW fix the issue by replacing the mat with another factory one (will last just as long)
My friend has a scanner. He can reset it for me. I really don`t want to spend over $500 just for a seat mat sensor.
No one done this before??
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Make sure your car is not part of the recall. My 04 was and it was replaced free of charge. Please also note as long as the warning is there the airbag will not work on that side.
Ya too bad my car is not part of the recall.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

are you sure about that? I have an 05 545 and it was covered. has the dealer actually told you no? i'd suggest a new dealer or a call to NHTSA

NHTSA recall/complaint site
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by wliue60
Hi~
My car (05 545i) has passenger seat mat sensor problem. And the airbag and seatbelt lights are on. I went to a dealership, confirmed! Now I got a bypass module off from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This bypass module has two wires which is easy installation for the older seat mat sensor. But my car has three wires to the mat sensor. There are white, Red and Brown.

Anyone has any ideas know how to connect it? The seller said he has customer that`s done it already.
Thanks for your help.
You've better talk to seller again to find out how to perform the 3 wires/2 wires connection.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

I have 05 545i and the airbag warning light came on before (see pic)
I think BMW fixed it under warranty / recall and there is no warning light anymore on Idrive.

Then I start to notice that when I have passenger, the airbag light at the dome light is on saying Pass Airbag Off.

Is this second problem related to this sensor?
Attached Thumbnails BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT-photo.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

I have same problem
Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Total bullshit. I just came from the BMW dealer in Bloomfield Nj and got the passenger restraint mat sensor checked and the tech said it wasn't the mat, it's the battery safety cable. And it has to be replaced and code cleared. Besides that. The even charged me $50 because it wasn't the sensor. If it was the mat sensor, it wouldve been free. Bullshit. Does that sound right? Please...someone pm me with some info.
BMW customer relations told me that there was an extended warranty for this particular issue. And now... There isn't an issue? Just money out of my pocket. I don't have factory warranty so all repairs are out of my pocket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BYPASS E60 PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT