DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake fluid change DIY

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

i got the pressure bleeder attached but the fluid doesn't run out on its own when i open the bleeder valve, any idea why? do i have a leak somewhere? the pressure is holding in the tank...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

You only actuate the bleeder valve after you're done bleeding the system to de-pressurize the tank. If no fluid is going to the system when tank is pressurized (aprox. 20psi)
check your tubing connection. Also make sure siphon tube is connected properly inside the tank. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

Ahhhh....I ended up doing it the old fashioned way, by pressing the brake pedal to force the fluid out. I don't know what was wrong with the pressure tank, I'll have to check it out later, too tired tonight and I've got work early. Everyone mentioned that you have to becareful that when you connect the tank to the MC because fluid may spew out due to the pressure that is in the tank, but when I connected it I had no issue. I thought that I was just that good at connecting it, but after I had given up on the tank and I was empyting it, I was trying to force the fluid out of the tube by pressurizing the tank and then opening the end of the tube, but nothing even budged. Maybe there is a connection problem within the tank or the end connection (it was pumped up to 20 psi). Again, I'll have to check it out another time. Thanks for the help regardless. I was about ready to call in sick to work tomorrow
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='840149' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:59 PM
You only actuate the bleeder valve after you're done bleeding the...
Sorry, I was thinking of the tank pressure relief valve. Just check the connection, specially the cap-tubing coupling.
Is the tube present and properly connected insidethe tank?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='840187' date='Apr 8 2009, 12:06 AM
Ahhhh....I thought that I was just that good at connecting it, but after I had given up on the tank and I was empyting it, I was trying to force the fluid out of the tube by pressurizing the tank and then opening the end of the tube, but nothing even budged.
If the cap is not connected to the tubing via the quick disconnect coupling fluid will not flow because of the check valve.
The tank will remain pressurized. Connect the cap to the tube and fluid will flow out.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Anyone know the order to do a RHD car?

I need to do mine at the weekend
Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

Is the pressure bleeder needed? Can you just pump in the new fluid by pumping the brake pedal? Is there some issues with a BMW doing it this way? That's how I did it on our old honda and never had any issues, except needing two people.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
zen
Members

You can do it the old fashion way except for the fact that it takes two people to get it done . One to pump the pedal and one to bleed and make sure the MC is alweays full.

As a final thought, I personally think it is a bunch of BS regarding the necessity of changing the fluid unless you have a race car. Name any other manufacturer that has this requirement and don't say that BMW's are something special. In my case the dealer didn't do it on my car and I have a hunch it may just be a scam.

In fact my car will be 4 years old next month and it has been to the dealer twice for service and whereas the work order in both instances indicate a "Brake Flush", I know for a fact that it was never done.

If anyone takes their car in for the "Brake Flush" as part of the regular maintenance take some precations so that you can tell if they actually performed the flush.

Examples: (it may be worth your while to see if you actually got the flush)
1.put a twig or piece of black thread under the clamp holding down the houisng for the microfilter or some other method to tell if the left microfilter was actually removed.

2. put a piece of black thread under the weather strip at the rear of the engine bay to be able to see if the weather strip was removed for the flush.

3. put a small glob of grease on each on the bleeder valves to see if the dust covers were actually removed. In fact just remove the dust cover off of one the bleeders to see if is stilll off when you get the car back.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Awesome! I just got this warning on mine and was dreading the dealership. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!

Sean
Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Members

How much brake fluid do you need to purchase? I just got the warning on my newly acquired 2006 530 CPO and will need to do this in this next month or so...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake fluid change DIY