DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

BMW 2004 E60 530i (Pre-LCI) CCC DVD drive / player replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I can think of is to take it back apart and check the connections, maybe something didn't get solidly attached, or got pinched in the reassembly?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 AM
New Members

Default Help, please; swapped drive and now screen is blank

Thanks, huguetguy, I'll try that, but given the crackle and pop I heard through voice command, and that it doesn't work anymore, I'm sure I screwed up something. Couldn't find any blown fuses, though I'm not even sure which one is responsible for voice command anyway.

I tried asking on Just Answer, and for $29 all I got was, "you have to take it to the dealer to get it coded." I sent the guy a copy of the service bulletin where it expressly states that it's not necessary, but he maintained, "It's recommended for pre-2006 cars." What BS!

Any further thoughts from anyone are certainly welcome.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
New Members

Default Help, please; swapped drive and now screen is blank

Huguetguy, I owe you one. Your common sense suggestion was the ticket. I pulled apart the dash, (replacement wood bezel arrived with UPS today), looked behind the CIC, and sure enough, a cable was loose. Buttoned it up, et voila, I finally have nav. Many thanks!

Last edited by Spinne; 09-18-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: I fixed my problem.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60

Hey guys so quick question. My cd navigation drive keeps prompting me no cd.. cd error. Then if I ever get it to load on the map it won't show me nothing put a pink screen. Has this happened to anyone else. I've tried other navigation cds from my friends e60 that work and same issue. Should I replace the navigation cd drive? Will I have to reprogram the ccc to recognize the drive or anything? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i E61 touring

Picked up 2006 (pre LCI) 530i touring E61 last week with CCC Prof Nav.

It came with the 2007-2 map DVD. Within 30 mins of using the nav got the dreaded 'DVD Read Error'. Then after ejecting and putting back in a couple of times just got 'Insert Nav DVD' where it refused to recognise it at all - it seemed quite hot when i pulled it out
Return journey 5 hours later had the same thing: Initially worked for about 5 mins then not again

As it's an old DVD (although not visibly scratched) I have burned the 2014-1 maps onto a new DVD+R as suggested by forums, stuck it in yesterday and it worked for the 5 mins i tested it for, but haven't had a chance to try for longer yet so keeping everything crossed!.

The only thing i've noticed is that the drive accesses the DVD a LOT (the original navteq DVD as well as my burned copy), i.e. almost continuously and very noticeable with the engine idling or off - is this normal behaviour? If it is then no problem, if it's another indication of a read error to come next time I use the car it would be good to know very soon so I can report to the vendor

As it was reported to the dealer (not a BMW dealer) i can probably get repair under sale of goods act if it's faulty. Any thoughts? Do you think it's:
(a) the DVD drive laser itself? Is the continuous accessing normal behaviour?
(b) the cooling fan which i saw mentioned on this thread? and how easy is that to fix?
(c) just the old 2007 DVD reaching the end of it's natural life and my new burned DVD may last longer?
(d) All of the above!

PS If anyone needs tips on burning Nav DVD then please let me know, happy to help.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545I Sport X5
Model Year: 2007 2003
Engine: 4,4
Default 2005 545I iDRIVE DEAD

Greetings,

Well, it finally happened, my iDrive died after being intermittent for weeks, off, on, and now off for past two weeks.

My question is, what to look for that could bring iDrive down. Is it the CCC unit, or MULF which I cannot seem to find in my trunk area, just a navigation module and Everest which I think is bluetooth which I never use. So is this Everrest module in place of the MULF I see mentioned as a potential reason for killing iDrive? I searched under spare, nothing but two small modules there, so no MULF?

Now the other question is where in CCC unit, is it always attached to DVD unit like those with NAV. I don't have NAV, so I assume there are some variables, but curious if the most common scenario is with CCC which sadly is most costly unit.

Thanks,