DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Safety Terminal Bypass

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Did you ever figure this out? I was just quoted $1,100 replace the cable, which is just outrageous.
And I thought $824 was high!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
I replaced my BST cable and it was quite easy. The cable itself was about $250 and it took about a half hour to install.This is certainly a better option than the $1100 quote or messing with your airbag system.
Did the error code have to be reset or did the airbag light go off on its own?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Dutch
Did the error code have to be reset or did the airbag light go off on its own?
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I had to reset it. That's generally the case with airbag fault codes.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:32 AM
New Members

Just completed my BST bypass after confirming I had the BST code. Even after clearing all fault codes with the BT tool and confirming NO codes were present, I still had the airbag light on the dash. Other BST bypass threads and roskinc videos all used INPA to clear the codes so I got that software working and cleared EM and the airbag and seat belt lights went out. I didn't need to clear IM or HM but did it anyway. Just wanted to let anybody else trying the BST bypass and using the BT tool that you might need INPA instead in order to clear the codes.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Can someone link me to the exact resistor I should buy? I bought a 2.2 ohm 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack but it didn't work for me.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sosimple
Can someone link me to the exact resistor I should buy? I bought a 2.2 ohm 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack but it didn't work for me.
That resistor should work.

Are you sure that the error code for the SRS is pointing to the BST?

Here's a video of how it's done.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by phamine
That resistor should work.

Are you sure that the error code for the SRS is pointing to the BST?

Here's a video of how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6bSfm9kqJ0
Figured it out awhile back. When I first installed the resistor, I was just twisting the resistors together and using electrical tape to test everything (did not fix the error code). Once I soldered the resistor in place, the fix worked. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004
Default Tried the 2 ohm 5% resistor fix... no workie....

Still getting the error message.

What's the next step? Please!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 e60 5 series 2300cc saloon

Originally Posted by BarryLeeClark
I had exactly the same problem and it failed the MOT (I'm in the UK) because the airbag light was on. I followed this guide but could only buy either 1 ohm or 2.7 ohm resistors (from Maplins) so i bought 2 x 1 ohm resistors and wired them together in series - took me 10 mins and its all sorted... I know this is an old thread but thank you , thank you, thank you!!!!

Cheers

Barry
Hi
I have just joined the forum and i think i have the same problem did your BST activate and after installing the resistor did you still have full power on the car
Old 06-08-2020, 02:49 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 525xi

Originally Posted by lsxcamaro545i
Hi, how you folks doing, Im new to this site and to the BMW world, just a week ago I bought a 2005 BMW 545i and when I got it, she was running like a champ. Then out of the blue she decided to give me an airbag light. To say the least, I was pissed and was wondering what caused it. My brother works at a Chevy stealership and he has a scan tool for BMWs, so we hooked it up and the error code was 9aff. After some searching on the internet and figuring out what it was, I found the Z3 deleting BST thread on bimmerfest.com. I used that as a guild and made my own DIY mod. I would like to share the bypass or delete of the BST if you would like to save yourself money and the hassel of the stealership. This works, no airbag light for me anymore. All that is needed is a 2 ohm resistor and a soldering iron. Just cut the two black wire and place the resistor inline of the BST. Next tuck the wires away neatly and have the computer cleared of the airbag light and it should be good to go.

I tried doing this c110 to clear code easily. Didn’t work. Got my 2ohm resistors and cut what I needed. Tried to start vehicle didn’t crank or start. Went to reconnect it. Still nothing. Here's what happened. But prior to that error car ran perfectly fine. W just co2 sensor issues. It still ran fine.

5 minutes before I started the car and it ran for about 5 minutes. So I turn off and then I connect this c110 then tried to erase and the air bag restraint code but it was unsuccessful. I then played with and auto search the whole system. And cleared/ Erased some codes thinking it was gonna fix things but it didn't as well. After I went to the trunk to cut the BTS positive cable and disconnected it so I can connect 2ohm to offset restraint error. So I went back into driver and try to start. And Nothing. Connected the cable back. And nothing. Tried jumping it from rear and front. Nothing. Bought a whole bought positive bts cable from another bmw and nothing. Disconnect ibs and still nothing. Tried tapping starter with new positive bts cable and jumper cables connected in trunk and portable jumper in undergood and still nothing. Also new "awd and dsc malfunction / start off assistance inactive" on dash came one that never came on before. and Any suggestions or help from anyone? Please? thank you in advance. Your response is very appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Safety Terminal Bypass