DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Attaching a spoiler

Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the "DIY's" regarding the attaching a spoiler.

I got an E-bay "special" and despite its low price th quality is really nice.

It comes already taped with the 3m tape and that is I think the best way to do this. If it falls off, I can re-attach or just clean residue and throw it away.

I think the key to a successful bond is cleaning the surface.

What might be the best way? Denatured alcohol? Would just a bit of liquid dawn suffice?

Thank you in advance!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='391464' date='Feb 14 2007, 06:24 PM
It comes already taped with the 3m tape and that is I think the best way to do this. If it falls off, I can re-attach or just clean residue and throw it away.
Save your money
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='391464' date='Feb 14 2007, 11:24 AM

What might be the best way? Denatured alcohol? Would just a bit of liquid dawn suffice?

Thank you in advance!
Just wipe down the surface with a damp cloth and follow with a dry cloth. Make sure there's no dirt on the surface and attach. If you're really concerned, you could use Goo-off, but personally, I would leave that coat of wax (if there is one) on that area. Should you not like the look after a while, it's good to know you have protection under there (Oh buy...here I go again. LOL!)
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='391521' date='Feb 14 2007, 01:44 PM
Just wipe down the surface with a damp cloth and follow with a dry cloth. Make sure there's no dirt on the surface and attach. If you're really concerned, you could use Goo-off, but personally, I would leave that coat of wax (if there is one) on that area. Should you not like the look after a while, it's good to know you have protection under there (Oh buy...here I go again. LOL!)
I looked further and the 3M General Purpose Adhhesive Cleaner is what they recommend for their tape.

For the record, its a ABS plastic "M5" knock off. The smallest, thinest least obvious one available.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

Who'd you buy it from on Ebay and did it come prepainted?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I have a question........

Anyone who added a spoiler ever have any trouble or complaints with hearing "rattles" from the spoiler?

I asked my dealer about the aftermarket prices, and the sales guy said 2 of his clients who added them complained about "rattling" sounds. Ugh.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391591' date='Feb 14 2007, 10:11 PM
I have a question........

Anyone who added a spoiler ever have any trouble or complaints with hearing "rattles" from the spoiler?

I asked my dealer about the aftermarket prices, and the sales guy said 2 of his clients who added them complained about "rattling" sounds. Ugh.
he would mine came off they had to refix it!so there you go if the finish is ok well go for it.
i have found that my spoiler takes all the ring (wifes rings)scratches and saves the trunk lid.haha
Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='391464' date='Feb 14 2007, 10:24 AM

Thank you in advance!
What style spoiler did you get? The other potential problem is positioning the spoiler right. Some cheap aftermarket product may not fit very well with the contour of the car; hence, rattling may result.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Remember to show us the picture after you attached the spoiler.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='391619' date='Feb 14 2007, 06:28 PM
What style spoiler did you get? The other potential problem is positioning the spoiler right. Some cheap aftermarket product may not fit very well with the contour of the car; hence, rattling may result.
last nite I pulled the bumper plugs and installed my reflectors. Took 2 min!

Took out the spoiler and tried to align it up and got the jist that it really is not going to be snug. I positioned it a few times and just wrapped it up for another day.

This morning I saw I had some surface scratches on the trunk which will buff out, but it pissed me off. My fault of course!
Its going in the garbage!

Not the worst $99 I ever blew, but if I toss it I will forget it. The spoiler has some twist in it that perhaps the 3m tape will take care of but the thing that got me was the lack of fit.

5 min with menzerna and my porter cable will take the scratches out but im not going with that piece of crap. Not worth selling and I can't imagine returning it as it really is nothing wrong with it other than its a piece of junk.

Hey, somtimes you win on E-bay, sometimes not.

The Chrome grills are excellent quality and were very reasonable! Win on one, lose on another!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attaching a spoiler