DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 black saphire bmw 528i

These are the wires you need to tap into to get the stock woofer signal. You will be saving lots of work. I hope this is helpful for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk-img_4280.jpg   add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk-img_4282.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 535d LCI

Thanks i will have to take another look at my setup in the boot (trunk) im pretty sure i didnt have that silver box with wires going into it. Will have to do more searching otherwise i will have the joyful task of getting under the seats! The joys of wanting more bass!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Hello, I just found this thread and wanted to see if anyone has any advice on installing the following in my 06 M5.
Here is what I'm installing and trying to do:
2 sets of MB Quart Q 61/2's
1 set of MB Quart Q 51/4
Powered by McIntosh amp (4x 110w)
1 JL Audio 13W7
Powered by an old school Orion 2250 (The Beast)
I want to tap in to the existing Idrive system. I've heard that power becomes an issue, especially with both of my amps. If anyone has any advice on this install, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Msport ,

Nice write up , any idea which colours are plus/negative

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d msport

Hello,i've seen ur post on how to add a subwoofer....
I've done all the steps...but now i don't know how to take the wires from back seat to trunk....I can't find any gap between the back seat and trunk....
Can u help me?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525d msport

Hello all!!
I have installed a sub in my e60,i didn`t used the cigarette lighter for remote wire because i`ve put a switch so i can turn it on or off when i want.
But the problem is that after a while the sub didn`t work anymore,and after i changed it worked very well till today(1 week)and the amp doesn`t power on anymore...
The problem is i think because i forgot it on 1st and second time....but why?
Any ideas?Thank you !!!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535D

Hi, found an old post - hoping someone can help...?

In my e60 i have:

Morel 4" components in the door
Earthquake subs under the seat
4 channel amp in the boot, powering the above speakers.

I want to install a amplified sub in the boot - i connected this to the rear speakers only to find this is not the correct way as it will not play the low end frequencies required.. Beemer Lab - formerly Planet 5: E60 Audio: RCA Feed from Rear Speakers - quick n dirty guide.

Then i found this link: Beemer Lab - formerly Planet 5: E60 Audio: Getting a Bass RCA (Audio) feed from the Stock-Subs.

Now, can i tap into my sub wires? as my subs are connected to the amp that is in the boot - not sure if this is even possible? as the amp controls the power to the under seat subs, would this work for the amplified sub?

if yes would i need a high low converter on the sub wires that leave the amp?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 520D M Sport 2008 177BHP

Hi there. I have readed all posts about getting a right subwoofer working on a e60. I will need your help i am trying to find the best way how to get a clear signal from the underseats speakers.
So i have already bring some cable from the speakers into the trunk. I dont know if i will need a ticker cables or just normal speakers cables. Mine it's aboout 1mm tick. Grey cables from underseats speakers?!?
I have this cables from both speakers connected to my Hi-Low line adapter that exits through RCA into amplifier and from there into subwoofer.
Can you tell me how to adjust the bass level from the car player, and how to adjust the amplifier gain and everything for a really good sound??? Or it's possible to get the audio signal directly from the car amplifier?
I dont want distorsions because both underseats speakers still connected. Waiting for your response. Cheers
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bogdy1987; 04-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 M Sport

Hey E60 Rules - Ten years later I am reading this post hahah! I have the same standard stereo -
No amplifier, 4" in front and rear, and small woofers under seats, no tweeters in front doors.

I want to buy the MB Quart replacement 4" coax speakers, and power them with 4 channel amplifier.

My question is - do I need an audio processor to adjust the high frequency output from the head unit?
Do I need any special harness from Technic or anything similar?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2020, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Deestay, on coincidence I searched for my old topic

Great some people may have used the shared information.

That's a good question, I would start with just replacing the speakers without additional amp, I guess you already have enough improvement.
As you have the same simple audio setup as I had there is a lack of connections for an seperate amplifier as far as I know. (even pretty sure)
A quality lowering solution is 4 LOC modules to bring back 4 signals from speakerlevel to line level, insert those 4 line levels in a seperate amp which will end
up in new high level signals. But al those LOC are very bad for signal quality.
So I should just upgrade speakers

Grts from the Netherlands after 10 years

Quick Reply: add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk