DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

'06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading many forums I've finally completed putting in oem bi-xenons into my e60 which came with stock halogen lamps (no adaptive headlights). Many of the steps were scattered throughout the many posts so I've put together the complete steps to save you guys time. First off, if you have the time and money, it was well worth the swap, total costs including parts and supplies were around $875, could've been less but i got kinda ripped off from the guy that sold me the lights. (told me it was complete with ballasts, bulbs and igniters, false! didnt come with anything)

1) cut the green wire coming from the socket in half (xenon light beam adjust feed), splice the end from the socket to the gray wire (angel eye wire, to get rid of error message) cause theres only one angel eye bulb.

2) connect the other end (the end going to ur xenon lights) of the green wire to the white wire (high beam feed) this would make your bi-xenon highbeams work.

3) splice the two fat brown wires coming from the socket together to give ur ballast ground

4) get a 4700uf 35v capacitor, connect the negative end to the brown wire and positive end to the yellow wire going to your ballast (gets rid of strobing effect and error messages)

if you dont want highbeams skip step 2, all this should take u nomore than an hour, took me two days to sort everything out lol...
hope this helps, well worth the trouble... also this is only for an e60 that came with no projector halogen lights.
seriously doubt i can make the adaptive feature work...

Last step....have fun adjusting the lights lol, took me awhile....

Hope this helps..
p.s. don't let the dealer see the inside of ur headlight capsule lol...bye bye waranty.....
The following users liked this post:
JCapirote (09-17-2019)
Old 12-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats, at last i find the info i'm looking for, looking to do the same on my halogen e60, got the lamps but dont know what to do with em...................
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

good on ya mate, well done..........
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mtrinh1' post='751895' date='Dec 24 2008, 08:17 AM
After reading many forums I've finally completed putting in oem bi-xenons into my e60 which came with stock halogen lamps (no adaptive headlights). Many of the steps were scattered throughout the many posts so I've put together the complete steps to save you guys time. First off, if you have the time and money, it was well worth the swap, total costs including parts and supplies were around $875, could've been less but i got kinda ripped off from the guy that sold me the lights. (told me it was complete with ballasts, bulbs and igniters, false! didnt come with anything)

1) cut the green wire coming from the socket in half (xenon light beam adjust feed), splice the end from the socket to the gray wire (angel eye wire, to get rid of error message) cause theres only one angel eye bulb.

2) connect the other end (the end going to ur xenon lights) of the green wire to the white wire (high beam feed) this would make your bi-xenon highbeams work.

3) splice the two fat brown wires coming from the socket together to give ur ballast ground

4) get a 4700uf 35v capacitor, connect the negative end to the brown wire and positive end to the yellow wire going to your ballast (gets rid of strobing effect and error messages)

if you dont want highbeams skip step 2, all this should take u nomore than an hour, took me two days to sort everything out lol...
hope this helps, well worth the trouble... also this is only for an e60 that came with no projector halogen lights.
seriously doubt i can make the adaptive feature work...

Last step....have fun adjusting the lights lol, took me awhile....

Hope this helps..
p.s. don't let the dealer see the inside of ur headlight capsule lol...bye bye waranty.....

Hi guys.. i've got a bit of a job on my hands.. i'm trying to fix the lights on a e60 530d.. it originally had standard hallogen lights, and the guy who had it before, tried to fit xenons to it..

Basically, when you turn the switch "once" to turn on the side lights, the full dip beam comes on with the angel eye rings all together.. so the wiring has been done wrong somewhere.. so i will investigate the wireing and make sure it is wired as you explained above.. BUT, there is a more serious issue.. both beams are just facing straight down on the ground in front of the car.. they don't lift up to light the road ahead.. they are just pointing straight down, and i can't find any kind of adjustment that moves them up enough to see the road in front..
Is this a wiring issue? or is there some way to adjust the lamp to come all the way up from the ground.. they seriously just make two spots on the ground.. about 5 feet away from the vehicle.. i'll try and remember to take a picture in the dark, and i'll post it on here..

Thanks in Advance for any help on this issue..

Mike
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

Nice write up....

I also did this swap over the course of the last month. I never connected the green wire to the grey wire so my AE's werent working, but I recently did this and they work fine (I was actually stuck on this step and started a thread)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=68642&hl=

I am a little confused about the highbeam directions. My xenon highbeams dont work (this is not a huge deal) but I dont understand your directions. When I cut the green wire, I then spliced it to the grey wire...the other "half" isnt going anywhere, not sure how you would connect this to the white wire.....any help ?

By the way, I connected these two wires at the wiring harness, and not within the headlight itself.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

I also did this halogen to xenon retrofit. Everything works perfect, but sometimes car give error message from parking lights. The message disappear and comes again. Sometimes it takes longer time when message come, but it is irritating anyway.

Can anyone help this?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Milko75' post='770158' date='Jan 17 2009, 09:30 AM
I also did this halogen to xenon retrofit. Everything works perfect, but sometimes car give error message from parking lights. The message disappear and comes again. Sometimes it takes longer time when message come, but it is irritating anyway.

Can anyone help this?

Thanks.

I have the same issue as you....I have found out if you start your car and immediately turn on the head lights, the error will not come up.....then after a minute or so turn off the lights and it should work....probably not the answer you were looking for but a quick fix to avoid the "dong"
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Thanks you reply ? and the first aid I?ll try this way.

I?m thinking some small extra resistors to parking lights, but this is just thinking at this moment.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by MikeeMac' post='769316' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:04 AM
Hi guys.. i've got a bit of a job on my hands.. i'm trying to fix the lights on a e60 530d.. it originally had standard hallogen lights, and the guy who had it before, tried to fit xenons to it..

Basically, when you turn the switch "once" to turn on the side lights, the full dip beam comes on with the angel eye rings all together.. so the wiring has been done wrong somewhere.. so i will investigate the wireing and make sure it is wired as you explained above.. BUT, there is a more serious issue.. both beams are just facing straight down on the ground in front of the car.. they don't lift up to light the road ahead.. they are just pointing straight down, and i can't find any kind of adjustment that moves them up enough to see the road in front..
Is this a wiring issue? or is there some way to adjust the lamp to come all the way up from the ground.. they seriously just make two spots on the ground.. about 5 feet away from the vehicle.. i'll try and remember to take a picture in the dark, and i'll post it on here..

Thanks in Advance for any help on this issue..

Mike
almost positive you bought a set of bixenons with adaptive headlights which u do not have. have to find a way to trick it or retrofit adaptive headlights. Does auto leveling work and did u try adjusting the headlights higher using the level positioners?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Milko75' post='770599' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks you reply ? and the first aid I?ll try this way.

I?m thinking some small extra resistors to parking lights, but this is just thinking at this moment.
u don't need resistors, your car is giving the error message cause the xenon light assembly has only 1 angel eye bulb thus only 1 wire, stock halogen assemblies has 2, just cut the green wire in half (in the light assembly) and attach the end coming from the socket (ur car) to the gray wire. (so pretty much ur putting both angel eye wires to that one bulb)

so ur pretty much have ur highbeams on the whole time if u dont cut this green wire.

do steps 1 and 2 and the message will go away. ( i had that problem too)

ill send pictures if ur still not sure.

Quick Reply: '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap