Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

leather and interior clean and conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci
Default leather and interior clean and conditioner

Im looking for something to treat my seats and interior on my 2010 550i but dont want a high gloss and oily seats and dashboard. what do you guys use to clean your interior? mothers, meguiers, or the bmw products? thanks!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Any water-based vinyl / leather cleaner will work. I like Lexol since it's inexpensive and seems to work well. While you can use a water-based leather conditioner if you wish, it won't make much of a difference since the leather, as in most cars, is urethane-coated. That's why if you put a drop of water on your seat, it will bead up instead of soaking in. Whatever you do, don't use an oil-based leather conditioner. Not only will it be messy, it can damage the urethane finish and cause cracking/peeling.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci

thank you very much ill prob. just go with the stuff from bmw
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

I have used this, mainly because of the wonderful leather smell it leaves behind. Gliptone
Lexol is good too.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Leatherique is the cleaner/conditioner used by many including myself.

If you have dried, hard, leather, this is stuff to soften it up and clean at the same time.

Check it out here:

Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Lexol works well. I too dislike products that will make your interior gloss.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

I tried Leatherique and it ALWAYS left my seats shiny. Also as stated earlier the leather is coated and unlike the leather in older cars. Leatherrique was meant for older cars.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium
Default BMW brand cleaner

I use the BMW brand cleaner(not their "green cleaner"). It's a one-step process for the leather. There are even sponges and papers towels in the box. If your leather is really dirty, I would probably wipe it down with water or clean off any residue spots before applying the BMW product. Another review I read on the internet says that the BMW stuff smells bad(comparing it to the smell of an actual cow, not leather). I've been around lots of cows, and I can honestly say the inside of my car doesn't smell like a cow after using this product. It leaves the seats somewhat softer, but they do look cleaner, with no greasiness - nice matte finish.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Members

+1 on the BMW stuff. I used it about every 3-4 months for 4.5 years on my 2006 525i and the seats looked like new when I traded it in. I also used Aerospace Protectant 303 on the dash, tires and all black plastic parts (interior and exterior) and I used Gummi Pledge on all rubber seals. Those are the only 3 products you really need to keep everything looking new, almost indefinitely.

One other tip: the front and rear windshield rubber seals are a pretty easy DYI to replace. If yours are cracked and ratty, replace them and maintain them with Gummi Pledge. It makes the car look years younger.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy
+1 on the BMW stuff. I used it about every 3-4 months for 4.5 years on my 2006 525i and the seats looked like new when I traded it in. I also used Aerospace Protectant 303 on the dash, tires and all black plastic parts (interior and exterior) and I used Gummi Pledge on all rubber seals. Those are the only 3 products you really need to keep everything looking new, almost indefinitely.

One other tip: the front and rear windshield rubber seals are a pretty easy DYI to replace. If yours are cracked and ratty, replace them and maintain them with Gummi Pledge. It makes the car look years younger.
I also use the BMW Leather protect/cleaner. Works pretty well. I have also replaced the front and rear window seals. I first took the car to BMW to see how much they would charge to replace. was quoted over $2000 for both as they said BMW requires them to remove both front and rear glass to replace. I told them that I have seen videos of them being replaced and the glass is not removed. Anyway...I took car home and got to replacing the seals. Rear took all of 30 mins to remove and replace. Then went to front and it came out very easy. Washed the gunk away and as I put water on the windshield I heard a pop. It was a hot day and when cold water hits hot glass any chips in the glass will turn into a crack. And mine did. So note to anyone replacing the seals...it is very easy...takes all of about 1 hour to replace both including cleaning and removing the remnants of the old seals....just make sure the glass is not hot when you do it.

Quick Reply: leather and interior clean and conditioner