Go Back   5Series.net - Forums > Information > Detailing Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Members

So I come back home from school yesterday and clearly, my dad has been driving my car to and from work in the icy weather Chicago's been having lately, and all this road salt is caked to the side of the car. Ok, fine, he bought it, it's his, but when I'm home and the car's dirty, it's my fault, so I'm trying to get this fixed.

I know nothing about paint care, but I'm guessing hosing it off with freezing cold water in freezing cold weather would only invite ice to form and that doesn't sound too good either. Most car washes are closed when it's close to or below freezing, but I still haven't physically gone and checked to see if that's true or not in my area.Still, I'm pretty sure the BMW sales rep who sold us the car said that the dealerships complimentary car washes ended when it was below freezing.

So now comes the hard part for me, since I feel like the answer's straightforward, but I'm still not getting it. How do I take care of this road salt? It has to be off the car, I know that, but what's the proper way of doing it? Hosing off with cold water, bucket of warm water and hand wash it, or are car washes supposed to be opened during this kind of weather?

Want a Lockerz.com invite?

http://www.lockerz.com/
E60714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Contributors

I use a Foam Cannon and spray the car down and let the soap work it's way into the dirt and salt. I then spray it down really good and do the Foam Cannon again, to loosen up any particles I missed on round 1. I then have 2 buckets and a new set of mitts. One bucket is just water. The other is soapy water. I wash one section at a time with the mitts and clean them off in the water bucket, before submerging in the soapy bucket again. I then wash section by section until the car is clean. This is the best way to prevent swirls and scratches, especially since it's not only salt that's caked on your car, but dirt and road grime too.

And yes, I even do this in the winter when it's freezing in NY too. It sucks, but it's the only way. If you take it to a carwash, you're going to end up with scratches. It's inevitable in the winter.
  • 2012 Alpine White E70 X5 50i Sport w LCI Aero Kit & Rocker Panels (wife and kids car)
  • 2001 Jet Black Dodge Durango SLT Plus (train and home depot car)

Retired:

2009 Jet Black E70 X5 4.8i Sport w Aero Kit
2007 Jet Black E60 530xi Sport
2003 Jet Black E39 530i Sport
C's Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Contributors

Find a nice hand car wash place. There is one about 15 minutes away for $20. They clean the inside too. If you want wax, its $40. I'm sure Chicago has some good hand car wash places.

2004 530i. Silver Grey (A08) & 2012 E70 X5 35i Platinum Grey.
nigxdoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Contributors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='748453' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:19 PM
Find a nice hand car wash place. There is one about 15 minutes away for $20. They clean the inside too. If you want wax, its $40. I'm sure Chicago has some good hand car wash places.
+1
2006 M5 Indianapolis Red, Sepang Bronze Light Full Merino Leather, Madeira Wood Trim, Ventilated Seats Front, Heads Up Display, Nav, Comfort Access, M Mulitifunction Seats, Active Seat Bolsters, rear elec. shade, Heated Seats Rear, Through Load, Fold Down Rear Seats, Park Distance Control, Logic 7, IPOD Integration, Summer: 166's with Conti Sport Contact 2 /Winter: 184s with Michelin Pilot Alpin

2007 Carerra C2S Cabriolet, Slate Gray, 6spd, Two-tone Full Leather, Active Sports Seats, Bose Audio, Nav, Dension GW500/Bluetooth, smart top

2007 Mercedes-Benz E550 4matic, Black, P1, sport, pano sunroof

2006 X3 3.0 Silver Grey, Nav, Leather

Gone: 2006 550i Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Fold Down Rear Seats, Park Distance Control, rear elec. shade, HK Logic 7, IPOD integration, Axxis Deluxe brake pads. Summer: 172s with Conti Sport Contact 2 /Winter: 184s with Michelin Pilot Alpin
Westcoast M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Senior Members

Send a message via MSN to Jon M5 Send a message via Skype™ to Jon M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='748442' date='Dec 19 2008, 04:50 AM
I use a Foam Cannon and spray the car down and let the soap work it's way into the dirt and salt. I then spray it down really good and do the Foam Cannon again, to loosen up any particles I missed on round 1. I then have 2 buckets and a new set of mitts. One bucket is just water. The other is soapy water. I wash one section at a time with the mitts and clean them off in the water bucket, before submerging in the soapy bucket again. I then wash section by section until the car is clean. This is the best way to prevent swirls and scratches, especially since it's not only salt that's caked on your car, but dirt and road grime too.

And yes, I even do this in the winter when it's freezing in NY too. It sucks, but it's the only way. If you take it to a carwash, you're going to end up with scratches. It's inevitable in the winter.
Wow!! Someone else that is as "anal" as me!! Good man!!

For those of you who thought Calton was a nice family man...
[quote name='C's Bimmer' post='758042' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:30 AM']I LOVE this stuff. For all you members that are in your mid-30's, remember "Faces of Death" on VHS? I used to rent that crap all the time. The best was when the father puts honey on his daughters face in Yellowstone and the bear rips the girls face, right off her face. Totally gnarly![/quote]

My Car Gallery.
Jon M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Contributors

C is absolutely right!
And it's not even anal what he said. Just get familiar with www.autopia.org!

Anzafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Contributors

It warmer here on LI. You always get above freezing within a day or two. Chicago probably stays below freezing longer, I go to the car wash when it's freezing, you want to get the salt off of the suspension too. Even C's Bimmer is not anal enough to do that by hand-or is he?
2011 MB E550 Cabriolet- Olivine Grey with black/natural interior, black top and headliner. AMG body kit and sport package, paddle shifters, staggered AMG wheels/summer high perf tires, premium 2 pkg, dynamic handling, Airscarf and Aircap, wood kit.
__________________________________________________ _______

Other Current/Previous Owned Cars- Volvo XC90 AWD (Current), BMW 535i, Jeep Commander, BMW 545 SMG, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW 528 & 525, Jeep Cherokee, Acura GS-Type R, MB E300, E190, Nissan 300ZX Turbo, Honda CRX, Honda Civic S, Toyota Corolla E5, Pontiac Tempest (first car)

Other Currrent/Previous Owned Motorcycles- Harley Davidson Street Bob (Current), Kawasaki Ninja ZX1000R, Honda CB900F SS, Yamaha RD-400, Yamaha RD-350, Honda CL350. Yamaha YL1-100 Twinjet (first street bike)
pennetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Members

Send a message via MSN to IceyTys

I hope you spent a little extra at the dealership and bought the under coating and rust proofing options!!!

As others have said, it its a quality car wash place (meaning $$) they are usually open during the winter months, look to spend $30-$50 or so. However most good gas station touch free car washes are still open during the winter time, they usually have garage doors thats close when inside and although they dont do a tip top job they'll get most of the contaminants off the car, which is what your really looking for during the winter months.

I usually dont drive my car in the snow or when its nasty, but occationally in Denver Ill get caught in a storm or something and I usually follow it up in the next day or two with one of those coin operated places and spray the car down.

Again, the key is just to not let those ice slicer chemicals and what not sit on the paint on your car. You dont have to worry about the paint after a wash and the water just freezes...it wont hurt the finish.

Finally do a good wax job twice a year, once right before winter and once before summer.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Senior Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='748484' date='Dec 19 2008, 01:38 AM
+1
+2
cheers
vern
05 530iA 12/04 Titanium Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Logic7-RES-SP-Xenon Headlights-PP-PDC-Nav-HUD-FDRS-CWP-Euro Red Reflectors-Wheel Locks- OEM All Weather Floor Matts, Euro Delivery 1/12/05 Redelivery 2/22/05 Progman 30.02
. MY 2010 4/20/2009 535i Black Sapphire Metallic-Black Dakota Leather-iPod and USB adapter-Fold down rear seats-Park Distance Control-Rear sunshades-Active Steering-Head-up Display-Logic 7-Sport automatic transmission-Cold Weather Package-Navigation system-Premium Package-Sport Package Euro Delivery 5/12/2009 Redelivery 6/30/2009
vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Contributors

i have hot water run to my garage and run a hose from it and use that.
2004 530i, sport package, beige leather, xenon headlights, led side markers, led license plate, all weather floor mats for increased speed, 20% llumar all around, euro overlays, m5 trunk finisher, LCI taill lights with v6 cables, debadged,
R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors with posi quiet pads.
nola530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM