Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tipping the SA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Krozi
I think a nice bottle of wine would do the trick...I would scratch the cheese though

I gave my SA a bottle of wine after he really helped me out one time. I would never tip my SA with cash, that's sort of an insult the way I see it. Giving him $100 is an insult dude, you'd be better off giving him a cheaper bottle of wine. Even donuts would make a better impression. Just bring in 100 donuts for the entire dealership. Tech's love donuts. That will help you down the road a lot more than $100.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I did the wine thing once and then moved to cash. The difference was night and day. I don't even make appointments anymore. I walk in, get my car on the lift immediately by the Tech I prefer and if a loaner is required, I get choice of what's on the lot. That never used to happen before -- even after I did the wine.

Another member on here (no need to mention names) does cash and ended up getting $2500 in brand new tires on his car for free. The old tires were were worn out, but his SA filed a claim for road damage by doing something to his old tires and it worked. Imagine that? And all for just $100. Tipping your SA is pretty common. It's not an insult at all, as long as you're not giving him $5 -- $100 is very much appreciated. Marc - that means you can't give him your allowance out of your piggy bank.

Good luck with the wine though!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by joebaggg
Yeah cash is tacky. Lol what's wrong with cheese? I love cheese haha wine it is! Everyone drinks wine right?
Suit yourself -- but it's not. I thought so too at first, but I did the wine thing (as I collect wine and gave my SA a very rare bottle that he and his wife enjoyed) and then moved to cash. He accepted it like it was a common occurrence. The difference between wine and cash was night and day. Up to you, but it's not tacky at all. I'm treated like royalty now and happy I did it.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I walk in, get my car on the lift immediately by the Tech I prefer and if a loaner is required, I get choice of what's on the lot. That never used to happen before -- even after I did the wine.
I get the same same exact service you just mentioned, but I don't have to pay my SA to get it. Sucks for you.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Giving a service employee a gift is a personal option; I'd steer clear of cash because that might infer something like a bribe or payoff. However, a nominal gift (bottle of wine, gift basket, etc) is OK - IF you know the person enjoys wine or spirits and ISN'T a recovering alcoholic!!

That said, gift cards are handy - to an area restaurant - for example. One small gesture that can go a LONG WAY is a personal thank you card to the SA or a letter to the GM of the BMW store. HOWEVER, don't write anything that could get the SA in trouble - like specifically mentioning free or upgrade or anything like that. Stick to comments like excellent customer service etc.

One last thought I use with indies who may not have food or treats at their business. Sometimes when I'm out running errands I'll just stop by with a box of donuts from a local bakery - just for the heck of it. And you know what, when I've called because I'm in some sort of a jam ... it's never, "Well we don't have time until next week ... it's always, "Come right on over we'll fit you in and take care of the problem!"

A little kindness goes a long way!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I usually go with a thank you card with cash enclosed. X-mas I either do a bottle of wine/liquor or GC to something local (shopping mall, restaurant, visa GC, etc...)

Cash isn't an insult IMO, some one does their job well and/or has gone above and beyond for you, so a "cash bonus" makes sense. You are telling me you'd rather get $100 in donuts than $100? Let me know if you want a job krozi

Seriously tho, even my patients sometimes give me cash from time to time. While it's not expected nor required I understand it's a display of their gratitude for the service they have received from me and my staff. I worked hard to get my staff to that level as well as maintain that level of service daily. It's nice to know it's noticed and appreciated. A little positive reinforcement is always a good thing. Usually I use that money to buy lunch or a starbucks for my staff, which is exactly what I think my patients would want me to do with the money. Kind of like getting a card + cash for x-mas rather than a pack of underwear.

I get the same same exact service you just mentioned, but I don't have to pay my SA to get it. Sucks for you.
that's cuz you wash their cars or at least used to
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Please share your expertise on how you've done this: Do you subtly slip in an envelope with the $100 cash and say it's a small gift? Thanks,

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I tip my SA on every visit. It goes a long way, especially with cars that are heavily modified. I highly recommend it to those that are not doing it.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I usually go with a thank you card with cash enclosed. X-mas I either do a bottle of wine/liquor or GC to something local (shopping mall, restaurant, visa GC, etc...)

Cash isn't an insult IMO, some one does their job well and/or has gone above and beyond for you, so a "cash bonus" makes sense. You are telling me you'd rather get $100 in donuts than $100? Let me know if you want a job krozi
Lol well I think that tipping someone who actually has a well-paying career is just...I don't know...not appropriate. Tipping the techs, or the dude that pulls up the car is another thing...

I also don't like tipping someone who just does the job they get paid to do. If they go out of their way and really help me out, like my SA, then a sign of gratitude is in order. Cash is too impersonal. My SA is really nice and I could never see me giving him $100, it would just be really awkward. If you HAVE to drop $100 each time just for better service then he's not the type of person to really deserve a tip. What happens when you stop giving him $100 each time? Is he still going go out of his way?

My SA is just a nice person who doesn't demand money to give someone outstanding service. If you're a nice person and not a bag of tools, then he'll treat you right regardless if you give him a gift or not. And service like that warrants a bottle of wine or donuts every now and then

that's cuz you wash their cars or at least used to
Hahaha I actually never got hired for that job So sad lol.
I might be working in the parts department soon though...we'll see.

-Krozi
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

I normally give my SA a gift card to a nice restaurant. It really does go along way. When my car had the brake booster problem I was able to get it all fixed before the details of the recall came out. They did it all new booster, lines everything. Most of the stuff they did wasn't even covered under the recall and I am way out of warranty. I was expecting a little bill but when I picked up the car it was a great big 0.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Lol well I think that tipping someone who actually has a well-paying career is just...I don't know...not appropriate. Tipping the techs, or the dude that pulls up the car is another thing...

I also don't like tipping someone who just does the job they get paid to do. If they go out of their way and really help me out, like my SA, then a sign of gratitude is in order. Cash is too impersonal. My SA is really nice and I could never see me giving him $100, it would just be really awkward. If you HAVE to drop $100 each time just for better service then he's not the type of person to really deserve a tip. What happens when you stop giving him $100 each time? Is he still going go out of his way?

My SA is just a nice person who doesn't demand money to give someone outstanding service. If you're a nice person and not a bag of tools, then he'll treat you right regardless if you give him a gift or not. And service like that warrants a bottle of wine or donuts every now and then

Hahaha I actually never got hired for that job So sad lol.
I might be working in the parts department soon though...we'll see.

-Krozi
I don't tip every time I bring my car in for service, usually annually like at the end of the year. Also, in a situation like the OP described, I do think a tip or gesture of gratuity is in order.

Agreed about gifting someone regularly and then them possibly expecting it. But it's kind of like a child and parenting. You can choose to spoil them or teach them the value of gifts/rewards. In terms of an SA and tipping them you are rewarding them for their service/work. how often and manner of how you do this dictates the interactions between you two. Again, it's positive reinforcement, I'm not trying to spoil him, rather thank him for his work. What happens if you do your job to the utmost best but never get recognized or rewarded for it? Would you continue to maintain that level or let it slip a bit as you would expect the end result to be the same, nothing, most likely with you ending up in quitting or relocating.

My SA as well is a great person, provides excellent service consistently, and is a personal friend of the family. That does and should not stop me from letting him know his continued service and work is appreciated via occasional gratuity.

Not sure why you think a person in a "well-paying career" getting a form of gratuity is in appropriate. It's still nice to know your work is noticed and appreciated regardless of your career and/or tax bracket. It's not like I'm holding a sign up at the freeway offramp asking for change. I'm working for their business and support, going the extra mile, glad that it's noticed and appreciated. I'm not working for a tip, I'm working for their return business and business support/referrals. In most cases IMO it's not even considered tipping, but rather "marketing" and/or "networking: just saying. As if I were to send you or my brother to my SA and let him know I referred you, granted he should get the same treatment regardless of my name drop/mention, but the peace of mind knowing me, my friends, my family, my referral is going to get taken care of is well worth a small gesture of gratuity from me.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Contributors

You are telling me you'd rather get $100 in donuts than $100?
You buy your donuts at a different bakery than I do!

Mine are P R I C E L E S S !

Quick Reply: Tipping the SA?