Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

No More free oil????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:59 PM
I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.

There's your answer right there. I would never set foot in that dealership again.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Wow,

there is something wrong in Germany, not in the US - if I have to fill in some oil at the dealer, I would never get the idea NOT to pay for it... (it's a German manufactorer... well said...)

So we've heard US about 12$, UK about 30$...

and here are the German Prices: about 45$ (no joke, normal dealer price!)

So hey guys over there in the US keep cool

If you got some dealer doing this "service" for free you are on the lucky side
... and those, which will ripp you, they are just

Just a lead: There are a lot of oil which is approved by BMW - in Germany the dealer can get a register of it - maybe your US dealers can do also...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:59 PM
The low oil- add one quart alert went off (as it seems to every 1500 miles or so on my car), so I stopped in to Santa Monica BMW for some more. I was told, "Sure, go to parts and pay for it , and we'll be glad to add it for you". I have always been given free oil between oil changes at all dealerships for my last 3 cars, but Santa Monica has abandoned this "courtesy". Have other US dealerships done so as well?
WTF???
They hit me up for $12.50 for a quart of oil. They are well known for being a horrible dealership, but they are the closest one to me and one of the service guys are cool.
Is there another Synthetic Oil that I can purchase aftermarket that will be appropriate? I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.
Was that the "installed" price? Weren't you charged for labor?

After all, the maintenance program covers all scheduled (not unscheduled) services. A fluid top-off is unscheduled and not entirely out of the realm of reason that a dealer might not offer you "free" oil. That said, you have the luxury or shopping and having services done at other BMW dealers - find one you like and that likes you and be done with the PIA situation.

Last point, there are several commercially available oils that are suitable for your car. And, as already posted, you can buy them at retail outlets for $5.00 - $7.00/qt. Your oil consumption should be monitored to track any mechanical problems that may surface in the future (receipt with date and mileage noted should suffice - stick it in your owner's manual).
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Members

Well I hope the local dealer here will still top off the gas tank. We've had the car over a week now a some yellow light that looks like a gas pump just came on... I think I need some free service too!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='638576' date='Aug 3 2008, 08:00 AM
So then go back to one of those six, simple huh? And, if for some reason there's been a grand conspiracy amongst all dealers in SoCal to stop providing free top-off's, so what?

Thanks!

This is the kind of helpful comment that makes this such a great place.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638388' date='Aug 3 2008, 12:35 AM
After 6 BMW's and with 3 of them covered under the "Ultimate Service" deal at about 6 different dealerships, all top off fluids were provided without a blink.

That's where I got the idea.

Situations change man. The economy has been rough on everyone. I am fairly certainly that M-B and Audi do not even offer "free" scheduled maintenance with their new cars any longer.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributors

I think that some may be looking at this the wrong way.
That $6 quart of oil keeps the customer happy and keeps us buying a new car from that particular dealer. It is really the dealer's choice, but we also have a choice on where to go for service and to buy a new car.

I entirely agree that you should not sweat the small stuff, but when it comes to one dealer being petty and another treating their customer right, I will choose to give my $2,500 profit on my next purchase to the one that treats me well.

That being said, this is not worth getting all upset about. They probably do it to others, and they have to charge more because the customers go elsewhere. Simply take your business elsewhere on your next purchase, and that is the best way to make your point.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='639607' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:04 PM
Situations change man. The economy has been rough on everyone. I am fairly certainly that M-B and Audi do not even offer "free" scheduled maintenance with their new cars any longer.

Audi stopped in the 2007 model year, MB was before that like in the 03-05 model year range .Caddy, Lexus,Acura,Infinity, don't offer it , I don't know about Jag , It may still since it changed hands to Tata... I think Lincon does but only for 3-36, VW DOES on 2009 3-36m.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='640214' date='Aug 5 2008, 11:29 AM
I think that some may be looking at this the wrong way.
That $6 quart of oil keeps the customer happy and keeps us buying a new car from that particular dealer. It is really the dealer's choice, but we also have a choice on where to go for service and to buy a new car.

I entirely agree that you should not sweat the small stuff, but when it comes to one dealer being petty and another treating their customer right, I will choose to give my $2,500 profit on my next purchase to the one that treats me well.

That being said, this is not worth getting all upset about. They probably do it to others, and they have to charge more because the customers go elsewhere. Simply take your business elsewhere on your next purchase, and that is the best way to make your point.

+1, well said
Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638237' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:06 PM
No appointment is necessary for free oil- you just pull in to the service bay, and I would always be in and out.
The markup is what burns me.

The MSRP for the oil is $5.75.
I paid $11.50.

For me, I just can't stand being taken advantage of.
Any autopart store will sell you the oil for less than $6:50. Why do you have to go to the dealer when you can buy it yourself and add it to the engine ?

Quick Reply: No More free oil????