Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

No More free oil????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='637650' date='Aug 1 2008, 03:07 PM
Your car is a 2008!!!! Brand freggin new! Shouldn't that be covered under your maintenance agreement? How many miles on your car? A quart ever 1500 miles on a practically brand new E60? While I know the turbos need lubrication, that's a pretty significant loss of oil. Any other 535/335 members having the same issue? If not, some serious discussions with your dealer and BMWNA may be in order.
I never needed to add any oil. I did an interim oil change at 7500 mi, at which time the level was a tad less than full, but not a quart short. I am now at 12000 mi, and almost ready for my 1 year dealer oil change.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

The OP said it in his post, a rip-off dealer.... $12/quart?? I just had a mid-cycle oil change yesterday at BMW NW, and their price on the oil was $6.30/quart. I think the occasional top-off will remain in the discretion of the dealer and many will continue to provide the same level of customer service as their customers have become accustomed to in the past. Santa Monica takes a different tact, apparently. Find another dealer; you must only have about 99 others to choose from!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Since I have 3 cars in my garage and work/maintain two of them I'm usually at the local Auto Zone at least once a month. It costs about 7 bucks for a quart of recommended BMW oil and I've only added one quart since I got the keys to the car almost a year ago.

It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to the nearest dealership - not to mention the time needed to schedule and wait for an appointment. Thus, its a complete waste of time and money for me to bring in my car for a "top off".

Personally, I think some of you are wrapped around this "free maintenance" a bit too tight.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='638197' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:16 PM
Personally, I think some of you are wrapped around this "free maintenance" a bit too tight.
Well said!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='638197' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:16 PM
It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to the nearest dealership - not to mention the time needed to schedule and wait for an appointment. Thus, its a complete waste of time and money for me to bring in my car for a "top off".

No appointment is necessary for free oil- you just pull in to the service bay, and I would always be in and out.
The markup is what burns me.

The MSRP for the oil is $5.75.
I paid $11.50.

This is a big Fuck you!

If you are forced to cut corners because sales are in the toilet, don't mark the stuff up beyond list price! It should be LESS than list price! And I assure you, there is no sales slowdown in Santa Monica.

Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I don't.

Sure, it's chump change in the scheme of things, but still, it's getting less for what I paid for, which burns my balls.

This is like getting your weekly paycheck and having it be just a few dollars less than what you were expecting. Maybe some of you don't care, or even have to work for a living, so it doesn't matter.

For me, I just can't stand being taken advantage of.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Not to belabor the point...... but where did you ever get the idea that the top-off's were free and in the deal, anyway. I've never read that it is as a policy provision by BMW. I think it's strictly up to the dealer as a customer service gesture. Anyway, you made the right conclusion in the first post - drop this dealer and move to another one. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Cal
Old 08-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M-Sport Auto, Individual Spec (Ruby Black Paint, Champagne Nappa Leather, Piano Black Trim), Media Pack (Navigation Professional, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Voice Control), Sun Protection Glass, 19" Style 172 Rims, Hi-Fi Speakers, Heated Seats

All you US guys talking about a quart of oil.... I'm guessing this roughly equates to a UK litre of oil?

$5, 6, 7 a quart??? Damn, we're getting ripped off here.
For me to pick up a top-up bottle (1 litre) of good quality, BMW-recommended synthetic oil (Castrol/Mobil) is around ?15 (=$30!!!!!) - regardless of whether its from a dealer or elsewhere. And they don't do free top-ups at any dealer I've tried. Even though I have the full service and maintenance pack for 5yrs/60k miles........

My 530d asks for a litre every 6k miles or so.......
Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='638282' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:27 PM
Not to belabor the point...... but where did you ever get the idea that the top-off's were free and in the deal, anyway. I've never read that it is as a policy provision by BMW. I think it's strictly up to the dealer as a customer service gesture. Anyway, you made the right conclusion in the first post - drop this dealer and move to another one. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Cal

After 6 BMW's and with 3 of them covered under the "Ultimate Service" deal at about 6 different dealerships, all top off fluids were provided without a blink.

That's where I got the idea.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i 6M

Originally Posted by E60714' post='637865' date='Aug 1 2008, 09:42 PM
Well, it is a German manufacturer.
Are you stereotyping Germans?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638388' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:35 PM
After 6 BMW's and with 3 of them covered under the "Ultimate Service" deal at about 6 different dealerships, all top off fluids were provided without a blink.

That's where I got the idea.
So then go back to one of those six, simple huh? And, if for some reason there's been a grand conspiracy amongst all dealers in SoCal to stop providing free top-off's, so what?

Quick Reply: No More free oil????