Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collect my 530dA tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At long last I will collect my 530d tomorrow - I'm based in the UK. It seems the UK spec is slightly different to US (and perhaps Europe???).

The extra options are: Mystic blue exterior, black dakota leather interior, Autobox, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Rear Side Airbags, Grad Tint Windscreen, Auto dim int + folding mirrors, BiXenon headlights, Star spoke 122 8Jx17 wheels, BMW Professional Radio.

Hope to give an initial report of my opinion during the w/e. Please let me know if anyone has any specific requests for info or pictures etc etc?

Fingers crossed!.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Members

Cool

Good Luck Bazza!
I'm waiting on delivery of my 530i. Hopefully by the end of October. Look forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Good luck Bazza. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

I should get my 530d A in about 4 weeks. My mate collected his on Tuesday and is raving about how good it is. I went with him to collect it and it looks superb. It's silver grey with style 124 18" alloys and the dealer arranged for it to be specially trimmed in tanin red leather which looks superb and makes it pretty unique. I don't know why BMW don't offer this colour as a factory option as it was getting to be fairly popular. I'm sure that other people will want this colour combo when they see it.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Members

Enjoy !! I have had my 530dA for exactly 2 weeks and I am highly delighted. The car was still at the Uk distribution depot on the morning of the launch but my dealer got it to me that day!! A couple of small complaints... floor mats not available at UK launch, I understand they are now coming through albeit slowly; snap in bluetooth adapter for Nokia not available yet and I am missing the socket for the glove compartment torch. The car drives superbly, better than my E39 and the diesel is super quiet especially compared to the MB E320 CDi I had on test for a week. Pleased with the spec I ordered but should have had folding exterior mirrors, the extra width makes it tricky to get into a standard uk garage without folding in one mirror. Silver Grey with bkack leather and 116 wheels looks v good. I have also now seen the 2CF wheels I nearly ordered and these look good too. Other spec items inc. advanced a/c; sunroof; poplar wood; high fi speakers; bluetooth; servotronic steering
Old 10-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Members

SPEUK: Bluetooth?

We have news that the bluetooth-kit will not be available before March '04 (I have had my car for a month now...).
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

Apeshape,

Bluetooth was available from launch in the UK. My colleague has it in his 530dA and says it is fantastic. The i-drive screen acts as the phone screen and shows all of your stored numbers and flashes up the name or number of anyone calling in to the car. I have ordered it for my car.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Members

Got it - at last. Have driven it home from the dealer. Will supply more opinions later but first impressions are:
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>WOW!!!!</span>
Old 10-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Members

ISUK - any pics of the red tanin leather !!??
Old 10-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Members

I've had the car for three days now. My full review would be a repeat of other's positive review so rather then bore you, I'll only highlight the exceptional stuff.

I can confirm that the Active Steering and Dynamic Drive are amazing and make the car feel a lot smaller then it is. The engine noise inside is very quiet, outside it's obviously a diesel but still quiet. Until its settled-in I'm reluctant to revv it hard and so can't give a complete answer on engine performance but from what I've experienced its certainly not lacking. The steptronic gearbox does a great job in changing gears smoothly. I previously testdrove an MB E320 CDI. The E-Class looks great but the drive/handling feels sublime whereas the E60 looks distinctive and its handling feels direct & accurate.

The kids and I found the IDrive system easy to use. I think the change of the dashboard to accomodate IDrive is a good idea since the front passenger can use it too. Door switchgear ergonomics wasn't a big problem for me neither.

On Friday and Saturday, there were some big events with family, friends and relations (ie 300-400 people). Everyone who saw the car instantly recognized it as a BMW and were most impressed (eg. the front headlight clusters) Teenagers and young people surprised me by knowing all about the E60. I let two close friends test drive my car. Both were reluctant to end the drive!

My small petty gripes are: The door armrest is too low for my elbow when holding the wheel. When viewing through the rear-view mirror, the rear middle headrest/boot lid is higher then what I'm used to. As far as I can tell, the front headrests don't angle forward. I'm sure the 330 and 523 ones did - someone please correct me. The front cup-holders feel flimsy - thankfully I wouldn't use them.

Overall: If I already had a similar new-ish E39, I perhaps wouldn't upgrade yet to an E60, since the cost/benefit relative to an E39 isn't that great. We need two cars and my other car is small Daihatsu Charade (a superb value-for-money city car). The E60 will be mostly used by my wife for school runs etc etc. In conclusion, buying the E60 was a no brainer for me; the wife, kids and I love it.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

[the front headrests don't angle forward. I'm sure the 330 and 523 ones did - someone please correct me.]

Bazza, First and foremost congratuations on your new car. I will be ordering next March. As for the headrests, I looked the car over a couple of days ago, and I noticed that the headrests don't adjust like they used to. The previous headrests would pivot from the bottom of the headrest. Your seats I believe swivel from the top of the headrest, so there is not as much movementin the headrests as there used to be. Adust the headrest all the way up, and then look at them from underneath. You will see the "slot" that allows them to swivel.

Let me know if you find it, and enjoy the car!

Patiently waiting...Aaron

Quick Reply: Collect my 530dA tomorrow