Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW North America Is A Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

BMW techs are not typically trained to open up a tranny and replace anything. They're just told to replace the entire tranny and move on to the next job. This is why it pays to go to a reputable independent shop.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Props to you man. It is nice to see there are people like you (and me lol) that do alot of the diagnostics and maitenence ourselves!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by 05545i
Props to you man. It is nice to see there are people like you (and me lol) that do alot of the diagnostics and maitenence ourselves!
Adding to this, i think you should bring the car to BMW, and rub it in the dealer's and BMWNA's face.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Contributors

This is GREAT!!!! 20K on a rebuilt pump isnt too bad AT ALL.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

This was an interesting thread, and I am glad that it worked out for the OP (I've got my fingers crossed) I am curious if anyone has did a SMG Fluid change whether or not they did it themselves or had the dealer or shop do it.

I am at 5 year and 45K miles on my SMG and would really like to do a drain and fill if this is possible. I tried doing a search and really didnt see anything on someone doing it themselves.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Contributors

To the OP> You should publish your fix on the Roundel!!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

Originally Posted by luigi524td
To the OP> You should publish your fix on the Roundel!!
What is the Roundel? I'm starting to experience problems with the pump again. I'm going to order the pump and replace it. I'll write up a DYI. I'm at 110,000 miles. I've had to crawl under the car twice recently after the car was parked for several days and tap on the pump to get it going. Thankfully both times it happened, it was in my garage jacks etc..
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by blackfalcon
What is the Roundel? I'm starting to experience problems with the pump again. I'm going to order the pump and replace it. I'll write up a DYI. I'm at 110,000 miles. I've had to crawl under the car twice recently after the car was parked for several days and tap on the pump to get it going. Thankfully both times it happened, it was in my garage jacks etc..

Roundel is the magazine published by the BMWCCA, you should become a member - worth it for the parts discount alone for someone like you who does a lot of their own work

www.bmwcca.org
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

110,000 mi. Have you ever changed out the oil on the SMG gearbox? Do you think it may be a sludge problem?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

I know this is a old post, but I just have the same issue with my 550i.. I was told the same thing by the dealer that they run the diagnostics and they send it to BMWNA for them to analyze and come up with the final results..

I really hope that that's it for me too..

Just a quick note. I had another post about 6 weeks agao complaining that the SMG on my car was leaving me stuck in N at startup sometimes. I took the car into the dealership and and BMW NA claimed I needed a new $8000 transmission. It was very interesting, because the tech at the dealership implied that BMW DIS system does not let the technician see all the data from the car. They send all the data to BMW NA who makes the final decision as to what the issue is, and they don't always share the reason behind this with the local technician. I completetly disagreed with BMW NA and requested they have there regional rep come look at the car. He did and again stated it needed a new transmission.

I picked up the car to go get a second opinion from someone with a GT1. The car did act up at all after I picked it up for another 1000 miles or so. Wednesday the car completely starting shutting down, and eventually bricked itself in my driveway and would not shift into any gears.

I pushed the car into my garage and put it up a lifts, and got out my volt meter and started checking what voltage etc. was being sent to the pump, etc. from the main smg controll unit. I ended up figuring out that it was just a bad SMG Hydrolic pump motor. It wasn't completely shot, it would hang up sometimes when it was asked to start, and would start with light tap from my finger.

The motor was ridiculously easy to remove. There are only two/four bolts holdilng it to the hydrolic pump (only remove the torx bolts not the hex) and three mounting it to the transmission. BMW doesn't sell this little tiny motory by itself here in the states. You can only buy the whole damn hydrolic assembly to the tune of $3800. The is a completely absurd thing for BMW NA to do.

I took the motor into a shop that rebuilds them and he put it on some sort of tester and reved it up for a while and then handed it back to me and claimed it was fixed. (something about the grease in the bearings needed to be heated up and spun into place?) I took it back home and put it back in car and everything has been running fine since. FYI, you don't have to take the car in to blead tranmission, or have a DIS/GT1 at home.

The moral of this story is this... Don't believe BMW NA when they are trying to part you from your $$$. Take it for a second opinion first.

Secondly, if anyone nows were I can buy a DENSO hdryolic pump, I'd sleep better at night, instead of worrying that this one will crap out on my again.