Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Is $288 suspiciously low for windshield replacement?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Got into my car this morning and noticed an "L"-shaped crack running from the very top of my windshield, starting a few inches left of the rear view / rain-sensor cluster, running straight down about 3-4", then abruptly turning 90 degrees left for another 2", then stopping. No rock chip or other evidence of something from the outside creating this crack.

My State Farm deductible is $500 for a new windshield. Long Beach BMW just told me they do NOT cover stress cracks in windshields. (I bought this CPO 525i from them 6 months ago, and it's now at 56,000 miles...i.e. 6000 miles into the CPO warranty.)

I just got off the phone with SAFELITE (auto glass replacement company). For only $288+tax they're going to come to my office here in Culver City, CA and replace the windshield. The guy on the phone assured me the rain sensor would function perfectly afterward. Replacement windshield has "solar tint."

I'm worried about the low price quote! Am I missing something? Or should I just relax and be happy?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='652198' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:39 PM
Got into my car this morning and noticed an "L"-shaped crack running from the very top of my windshield, starting a few inches left of the rear view / rain-sensor cluster, running straight down about 3-4", then abruptly turning 90 degrees left for another 2", then stopping. No rock chip or other evidence of something from the outside creating this crack.

My State Farm deductible is $500 for a new windshield. Long Beach BMW just told me they do NOT cover stress cracks in windshields. (I bought this CPO 525i from them 6 months ago, and it's now at 56,000 miles...i.e. 6000 miles into the CPO warranty.)

I just got off the phone with SAFELITE (auto glass replacement company). For only $288+tax they're going to come to my office here in Culver City, CA and replace the windshield. The guy on the phone assured me the rain sensor would function perfectly afterward. Replacement windshield has "solar tint."

I'm worried about the low price quote! Am I missing something? Or should I just relax and be happy?

Make sure they are using OEM glass or better.
Price seems a little low, but not suspiciously low.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='652198' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:39 AM

I've used safelite before to replace the windshield on my X5 and the glass fit perfectly and my rain sensor works as normal. They do really good work. You shouldn't be worried about the price quote. You just happen to get a quote at a good time maybe because of a special sale or price/service incentive on particular vehicle windshields. Relax and be happy, but I do suggest that instead of having them come to you, that you drop your vehicle off at a local safelite and have them perform the work there. I say this because in the shop, they have a special glass placement mechanism that perfeclty centers the glass to the frame. On a mobile installation, you have 1 technician laying down the glass by hand and there can be room for error. A buddy of mine had his glass replace at this work and for a week he had a whistling noise coming from the lower part of the glass. He brought it back to safelite and they said the technician didn't center the glass properly. They reinstalled with the placement mechanism, noise gone.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't be worried.

Replaced the glass in my Lexus and called about 5 different places and the prices ranges from $300 to $700 installed. All according to them using OEM glass.