The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura

Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about switching from the 2005 545 to the new Acura RL. $16,000 less and quite a car. My wife is stuck on the BMW badge. I drive about 20,000 miles a year. Can anyone talk me out of it?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

No!! Save yourself some money and get the Acura RL.

IMO, if there is a debate within you as to RL or 545, I think you should get the RL, as you maybe buying the BM for the wrong reason.

and thus I say... buy the RL and save the money.

hope this helps,

beewang
Old 10-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Check this review of the Acura out. It should help.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

i seriously thing that its no comparison. One one side you have a japanese car (Acura -----> HONDA ) and on the other side you have a German car (BMW ). If you are looking to save ONLY money then go with the RL, but even at $40,000 its not worth spending that much on an Acura.

IMHO, you only live once....live it up and drive the 545i. Hands down its the best car out there right now in its class . (but it is a little pricey )
Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agreed with bwang, but I understand your situation. Mine is just the same. My heart swings from this brand to the other when I see some good specs of new cars, but my wife ALWAYS sticks w/ BMW (for status). I am OK with Acura RL, but its looks is more like a Honda Accord Coupe looking from the rear. Technology-wise, it's packed with a lot of stuffs.
Bottom line is your wife makes the decision and you purchase the car.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

You can also checkout the 530i. Handles better and has enough hp to move out when you need it. You might want to wait until the middle of the year for the new 530 motor.

More hp isn't everything, especially in a front wheel drive car like the Acura. As soon as you stomp on it, you'll get understeer all the time except when going straight.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:35 PM

I have previously owned Acuras and they are very well built and engineered vehicles. However, I now own a 545i and there is no comparison between the driving experience between the two.

Granted the new RL is an all wheel drive vehicle, so its driving dynamics have been changed with respect to the older front wheel drive Acuras, but you are still talking about a 300hp 3.5L V6 with only 260 lb-ft of torque mated to a 5 speed transmission. Given the smaller V6 engine, the RL performance suffers considerably (0-60 in 7.0 sec as opposed to low 5s for 545i), but the rated EPA mileage (18/26) is the same as the 325hp V8 with 330 lb-ft of torque mated to a 6 speed transmission (auto, manual or SMG) in the 545i. Note also that the fully loaded car weights about 200lbs more than the 545i.

Although the RL comes with an innovative all wheel drive system that can not only shift torque from front to back wheels, it can also redirect torque from left side to right side wheels -- the only limitation is that the torque splits can only change from 30%-70% range front to back.

As with all things in life, you get what you pay for -- in this case, you can use the $16K (MSRP of $45K) or so savings on something else....
Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with saurabh, too. You live only once and you should enjoy it. I remember my bro-in-law talked to the other behind my back that it's dumb to spend that much of money of cars - should use that money for something else. Well, use that money to raise his kid? After spending a lot of money for the kid and some day the kid would say "Dad, you're stupid" Wow, spending a lot of money for the word "stupid", and I have no idea
Anyway, a lot of people envy that we're driving BMW.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 12 2004, 02:28 PM
You can also checkout the 530i. Handles better and has enough hp to move out when you need it. You might want to wait until the middle of the year for the new 530 motor.

More hp isn't everything, especially in a front wheel drive car like the Acura. As soon as you stomp on it, you'll get understeer all the time except when going straight.
[snapback]43982[/snapback]
Thanks for the responce, but the new RL is all wheel drive.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 12 2004, 02:35 PM
I have previously owned Acuras and they are very well built and engineered vehicles.? However, I now own a 545i and there is no comparison between the driving experience between the two.

Granted the new RL is an all wheel drive vehicle, so its driving dynamics have been changed with respect to the older front wheel drive Acuras, but you are still talking about a 300hp 3.5L V6 with only 260 lb-ft of torque mated to a 5 speed transmission.? Given the smaller V6 engine, the RL performance suffers considerably (0-60 in 7.0 sec as opposed to low 5s for 545i), but the rated EPA mileage (18/26) is the same as the 325hp V8 with 330 lb-ft of torque mated to a 6 speed transmission (auto, manual or SMG) in the 545i.? Note also that the fully loaded car weights about 200lbs more than the 545i.

Although the RL comes with an innovative all wheel drive system that can not only shift torque from front to back wheels, it can also redirect torque from left side to right side wheels -- the only limitation is that the torque splits can only change from 30%-70% range front to back.

As with all things in life, you get what you pay for -- in this case, you can use the $16K (MSRP of $45K) or so savings on something else....
[snapback]43987[/snapback]
Thanks for the great responce!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura