The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

THANKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Guest_First Time Buyer

Thumbs down

THANKS!!! to everyone on this Forum. You have been an excellent source of info for me and I want to pass on my appreciation. I ordered the car on 9/27, follwed the web site and the ocean tracking of the ship. It arrived 11/3 in NJ and sat there because they scratched a rim. Finally got it on 11/20. Titanium Grey / Black Interior / Poplar Wood; Sport Package; Premium Package; Premium Sound; Cold Weather; Xenon Adaptive Lights.
This is my first BMW, drove a Lexus ES300 for the past 10 years. It was a great car, 167,000 miles, never had a problem. But, it is a different experience driving this car....truly unbelievable. Maybe some of it has to do with the advancement of technology in 10 years...but still truly amazing.
I absolutley love the color and everyone has commented (several times) that they think the color is beautiful. However, I think that color is a personal decision. I also like the black interior because it eliminates the two tone look.
So far I can only rave about every feature. Took me about 3-4 days to feel comfortable with the I-Drive; initially I would push it when I should have turned the dial and vice versa; but now I am very comfortable with it and love it in regard to changing CDs.
I didn't like the 3 flash turn signal feature, so I turned it off via the I-Drive. What could be better...don't like it...reprogram it.
The ride is amazing, and I appreciate it more the more I drive it. However, I think I better ask for a Valentine1 for Xmas...
The premium sound system is the best I have ever heard in a car...although I will bring it in to see if they can improve the clarity of the AM radio reception.
I also bought 17" rims (#116) and put on Dunlop M3 snows from Tirerack for the winter. I am anxious to see how it will handle in the snow.
I would have liked the NAV but wasn't ready to wait another 6 months...think I may have to buy a Garmin Street GPS.
So far....I have had no issues (aside from the AM reception) and am so pleased with my decision. Thank you all again, especially "das" for creating such a great forum.
If I can answer any questions or be of help to others let me know.
I am one happy new owner!!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:42 PM
sego

congratulations , welcome to the E60 club. I have a 525i, took delivery mid October, only one problem with the iDrive, sometimes the screen turns on immediately after starting the engine and sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds, everything else ok. Enjoy it!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also experienced this.

Sometimes the computer/iDrive seems to be in the need for a little boot-up time.
It doesn't immediately respond to the ignition being turned.

-paasan
Old 12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
DO

have you tried to upgrade your I drive software? I heard that BMW have new software upgrade this november.

hey, is your 525i doing great on the engine? no lack of power? I still confuse of getting 525 or 530
Old 12-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Members

I hear that the 525 is a bit underpowered but if you get the manual transmission you can compensate. A 525 with an automatice seems like it might not feel adequate.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Guest_First Time Buyer

I have also experienced the delay in the I-Drive booting up....anywhere from 3-10 seconds. It hasn't bothered me and it seems to be sporatic...usually boots up right away.
Based on the other postings....I have the software upgrade because I have the various Logic 7 settings, etc.... Also, based on the delivery of when I received the car I should have the upgrade.

I have a 530i and I think the power is fine...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DO' date='Dec 2 2003, 04:04 PM
have you tried to upgrade your I drive software? I heard that BMW have new software upgrade this november.

hey, is your 525i doing great on the engine? no lack of power? I still confuse of getting 525 or 530
the engine is great , more than enough for me, I drive mostly on highways at 140-150 kph (in miles around 90 I'd say), acceleration very good, besides is very quiet. Of course some people will tell you that it's too slow, but I think that the best way to solve your doubts is to test drive one yourself.

good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 12:57 PM

I forgot to say that I got the upgrade last week but the delay is still there, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. The record, so to speak, is 15 seconds from starting the engine till the screen turns on. It's no big deal, but the funny thing is that the very first days there was virtually no delay at all
Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Members

For winter, you bought genuine BMW wheels (style 116, the factory wheel on non-sport package 545i's)!? Wow. Excellent choice, but how much did those wheels cost?

Are your Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires run-flat?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Guest_First Time Buyer

Yes...Rims cost $320 each from the dealer (no other retailers could offer yet)
In New England will probably have them on 5 months of the year so wanted something good.

And Yes...Dunlop M3 run flats's ($160 each) from Tirerack.

You would never know the car has snows on....