The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Was a passenger in an E320CDi last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must all take this in context because I am driving a complete heap at the moment AND I have not even bothered to test drive the 530d I have on order:

Exterior:
Well I like both the e60 and the E-class (there's controversy for you!). I think the front of the bmw > merc, and at the back merc > bmw. Swings and roundabouts really. Overall though the e60 has it for me, it makes a lot of cars look dated.

Driving Dynamics:
This just really whet my whistle for next month. I thought the merc performance and refinement were magnificent and the 530d has it beat (on paper at least). The mid-range performance was just fantastic, perfect for British A and B roads.

Interior:
Gosh this is just SO different from the BMW. The dash dials are rather pretty with the blueish-white back lighting. The detailing was equivalent to my car on order with the black maple (anthracite you US guys call it) to the bmw. I preferred it on the merc - it has a "birds-eye" effect, rather than the "stripes", and looks more expensive.
The merc was fitted with the COMAND system and the screen/navigation looked superb. The phone (Nokia 6310i) was very neatly integrated in to the front armrest.
The climate controls look pretty similar to the advanced a/c controls on the bmw. Initially the interior really impressed me, but after a short time, I became concened about the lack of integration of the individual bits and "busy-ness" of the cockpit began to irritate me. There are lots of different colours going on between the dashboard (and that big clock on the dash IS stupid), COMAND buttons and climate controls.
Overall after seeing that I am defintely in the de-cluttering camp.
The seats seemed comfortable, but we didn't drive far enough for me to make any judgements about them. Also, I couldn't comment on the stereo as it was just on in the background while we talked.

Oh and finally, how much better are Xenon lights?!! Never actually been in a car with them, until now
Old 03-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Members

the back bmw>merc, it is stronger..
Attached Thumbnails Was a passenger in an E320CDi last night-bmw.jpg  
Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Members

My brother gets his new E320CDi next month, I'll let you know what I think when it arrives
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Good stuff, that should be some serious sibling rivalry!