The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been having some setbacks with my dealer on getting a good trade on my wife's A2, so I haven't been able to get the E60 on order yet.

Yesterday I was in the Audi dealership and I looked in to the the new A6. I found out I can get a decent deal on one and that trading my A2 would be no problem, so I started second guessing my purchase.

I find it's appearance quite impressive although more sedate than the 5er which I really love. I haven't driven it either so I can't compare that aspect.
The interior seems more driver oriented and somewhat better quality overall.

Based on the depreciation blues thread I wonder if it will have a better resale as well.

So my question is to you, is the new A6 a viable competitor/option or is it not even in the same league?

I hope the knowledge and maturity of this board will provide me some unbiased opinions to help with my purchase decision.

Thanks in advance-

J
Old 08-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Aug 1 2004, 09:34 AM
So my question is to you, is the new A6 a viable competitor/option or is it not even in the same league?
It is another 100,000 Euro German car, they cannot be that far apart..
Old 08-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Contributors

It was a timing thing for me. If the A6 would have been available in US specs in August my choice would have been much harder! The interior is nicer than the E60.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Members

Here's a previous thread on this topic:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1192&hl=
Old 08-01-2004, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 1 2004, 03:58 AM
It was a timing thing for me.? If the A6 would have been available in US specs in August my choice would have been much harder!? The interior is nicer than the E60.
I agree on that one..

I read an article during my vacation (I think in Car Magazine). Where the A6, the BMW 5 and the E series where tested against each other and they found the ride in the A6 very uncomfortable.. It lost against the merc and BMW (or was it Jag and BMW?????) I read 25 car magazines during my vacation and cannot remember correctly.. But they were not very enthusiastic about the A6.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 1 2004, 11:00 AM
It is another 100,000 Euro German car, they cannot be that far apart..
Espacially because Audi is allways looking at BMW and MB what they do, and then try to copy it, or create their own version of it.
All three (BMW, MB and AUDI) are real close together, I would say, it's a league of their own!
Old 08-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think once you get in this 'ballpark' and are considering similar cars from BMW, M-B, or Audi, you really need to decide for yourself and not place too much weight on what others think. Each of these cars has pros and cons and each is a fine automobile. If the descision is truly yours, you won't be second guessing yourself all the time.

The magazines and opinions of others are fine but how many times have you found that you don't agree with them? For that reason, I'll read the mags, listen to others, drive each car, etc. but in the end, it always comes down to what I think is best and what I can afford.

Obviously we're a passionate bunch about our choice in the E60. In my opinion, mechanically and technologically, the E60 is far superior to the offerings of the other two manufacturers. In the exterior styling department, people either love it or hate it. I love it and so again, for me, the descision was an easy one.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 1 2004, 04:48 PM
Obviously we're a passionate bunch about our choice in the E60.? In my opinion, mechanically and technologically, the E60 is far superior to the offerings of the other two manufacturers.? In the exterior styling department, people either love it or hate it.? I love it and so again, for me, the descision was an easy one.
You are so right.
I love the design too, and everything else of this super fine car. I wouldn't trade it in for any other car, currently. This is by far the most innovative car on the world market, currently off course...
When I've seen the first spy pics anout the E60 and read about the gadgets I instantly wanted to have one, and still have no regrets at all.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Let me tell you this..

I have always been a Mercedes fan and never really considered driving anything else. Last spring I walked into the local BMW dealer's, to pick up a brochure for the X3, as my wife was interested in one.
The 5 caught my eye as I was waiting for the salesman to bring me the brochure. The car in question was not even in the showroom, it was in a dark corner of the building where they wash cars.

I spend probably about 2 minutes wallking around the thing, then stood back and looked at it.

The thing that caught my eye was the design of the mirrors. I decided there and then I was going to buy one. The test drive was just to make sure the car suited me, I was already convinced.

The point is, the brain knows all cars in this class are good cars. It is the heart that picks the deciding factor. Or in other words, for that much money you might aswell love it..
Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 1 2004, 06:48 PM
The point is, the brain knows all cars in this class are good cars. It is the heart that picks the deciding factor. Or in other words, for that much money you might aswell love it..
That reminds me on something.
My wife would have never allowed me to buy a car in this price range, but this one touched her heart! I don't know what I would have done to talk her into it, but in this case it wasn't necessary. She wanted the car too!

Quick Reply: New Audi A6