The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default Looking for suggestions

I think it's time to move on from my E60. I've had it for 10 years now, and it's required nothing but oil changes and brake pads. From what I gather that is not the usual experience with newer BMWs. I've heard (from BMW mechanics no less) and read, things got pretty bad after BMW moved on from the M54 platform. Unfortunately, I'm not quite done with grad school so I just don't have the income to buy a used BMW and any associated maintenance.

Anyone have any suggestions for a reliable mid-size sedan that won't positively suck to drive? All my co-workers drive Hondas and Toyotas so I sound like a complete snob to them for not wanting to drive a typical economy car. I don't think they've ever known anything other than front wheel drive and cloth seats.

I've read good things about the Hyundai Genesis. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

So you'll pick a Hyundai over a Honda. Good luck with that.

Form someone who's owned both and you being a grad student reliability is what you should be looking for. Hondas and Toyotas have a low maintenance cost. You have to decide what's important to make the decision and leaning toward a Hyundai is not what you want. I bought one in 2012 and it was a 06 sonata for $900 because the owner got tired of fixing things and the last straw was the trans going. Now don't get me wrong the will go forever just a lot of maintenance to keep them going.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
So you'll pick a Hyundai over a Honda. Good luck with that.

Form someone who's owned both and you being a grad student reliability is what you should be looking for. Hondas and Toyotas have a low maintenance cost. You have to decide what's important to make the decision and leaning toward a Hyundai is not what you want. I bought one in 2012 and it was a 06 sonata for $900 because the owner got tired of fixing things and the last straw was the trans going. Now don't get me wrong the will go forever just a lot of maintenance to keep them going.
I thought Hyundais were trash but it seems since around 2013 they've really upped their quality and reliability. Interestingly, they use timing chains in their engines. I drove a corolla and it was a typical front wheel drive cvt experience. Not pleasant. I guess I've been spoiled by my e60 for the last 10 years. Unfortunately there's no such thing as an inexpensive, reliable, used rear-wheel drive sedan.

I think it's hard to match the creature comforts of a newer mainstream sedan. If I went for a luxury brand I'd have to go for a BMW or Mercedes from 2012 vs a Honda/Toyota/whatever from 2018.

I should specify, I'd be looking at 1-3 year old cars with ideally <30,000 miles. Budget is $15k.

Last edited by PaoChe; 02-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by PaoChe
I should specify, I'd be looking at 1-3 year old cars with ideally <30,000 miles. Budget is $15k.
Sorry to say, with those requirements, your choices are extremely limited. Add "something exciting to drive" into the mix, and your chances are nil to none. I'd try budgeting another $5k or just keep the E60 until you finish grad school and start pulling down those big bucks. Unless, of course, that's when student loan payments start.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Sorry to say, with those requirements, your choices are extremely limited. Add "something exciting to drive" into the mix, and your chances are nil to none. I'd try budgeting another $5k or just keep the E60 until you finish grad school and start pulling down those big bucks. Unless, of course, that's when student loan payments start.
Yeah I've realized through looking around that about 20-25k is the sweet spot for used cars. It just doesn't make financial sense right now. Just need to suck it up and get whatever for now. It just really rubs my ego the wrong way lol, to go from a nice older Cannondale road bike to the nicest newest bike Wal-Mart has to offer (to use an analogy from my other hobby)

luckily for me, in biologic sciences we don't have any student loans for getting a PhD. Just have to tolerate living on a stipend that dang near the poverty line.

I think I'll try servicing my E60's transmission. It's a bit of a gamble but if I can spend $1k to avoid spending $5k on a down payment for a year or so, that's worth it to me.

Last edited by PaoChe; 02-02-2020 at 05:47 PM.