The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Lexus ES compares with.. ?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus isn't quite in the same ball park as the German manufacturers.. yet.. in my opinion, but I always thought the ES series from Lexus was on par with the 5 series or Merc E-Class. However, on the radio the other day I heard them comparing it to the BMW 3 series in terms of features and prices. They weren't targeting the 5 series drivers at all. I guess maybe the car is a bit more like the 5 series but their going after the 3 series market with pricing? Any thoughts? Doesn't matter much I suppose but I took note of it.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

ES350 is a Camry. BMW 5 series is a thoroughbred.

/thread
Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by crypto
Lexus isn't quite in the same ball park as the German manufacturers.. yet.. in my opinion, but I always thought the ES series from Lexus was on par with the 5 series or Merc E-Class. However, on the radio the other day I heard them comparing it to the BMW 3 series in terms of features and prices. They weren't targeting the 5 series drivers at all. I guess maybe the car is a bit more like the 5 series but their going after the 3 series market with pricing? Any thoughts? Doesn't matter much I suppose but I took note of it.

I guess the GS would be a "closer" match? At least the old GS300 we had in Hong Kong... with the 3.0 TT engine from Toyota Supra!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Don't do it!!! ES350 is a joke! GS300, except for the old GS300 is a joke too. Handles like a Camry/Avalon and has ZERO excitement! Stale as a week ol' bread if you ask me. I leased a decked-out GS300 in the past. It was the most painful 36 months I spent with a car in my life when I HAD to lease one for the wifey. We didn't look back a second when we returned it. What the hell were we thinking? At least the lease was cheap! Back in the ALL BMW stable now.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Don't do it!!! ES350 is a joke! GS300, except for the old GS300 is a joke too. Handles like a Camry/Avalon and has ZERO excitement! Stale as a week ol' bread if you ask me. I leased a decked-out GS300 in the past. It was the most painful 36 months I spent with a car in my life when I HAD to lease one for the wifey. We didn't look back a second when we returned it. What the hell were we thinking? At least the lease was cheap! Back in the ALL BMW stable now.
Bah i think you should add a Merc to the stable hyung
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

ES350 is a terrible car unless you are 80+. It handles really bad. Its BORING. The torque steer is annoying. They compare it to the 3 series because of its price I think....? Then where does the IS go? The 5 gets compared to GS. If you are looking at jap brands it goes Infiniti>Acura>Lexus.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

If the price point is n issue,there's always the CPOs. Nicely kept up cars for decent money with all the depreciation mostly paid for by the leasees.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dbae1978
Bah i think you should add a Merc to the stable hyung
I kinda liked my mom's CLS550. I of course will opt for the CLS63. Not really a fan of the new body style so if you come across one with the old body, let me know. but then again, I still can't shake my craving for an E92 M3.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Lexus has never positioned the ES against the 5 Series. It's an entry level near luxury, the same class as the 3 Series. The 3 outsells it. Still, the ES isn't a bad car, it's perfect for its intended audience.

I'll concede that BMW's by and large are better cars, but if you put the brand bashing to one side and give credit where it's due, it's worth remembering that Lexus has delivered something rather special in the LFA. The fastest BMW around the Nurburgring is the M3 GTS at 7:48. Lexus can do it in 7:14.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
Lexus has never positioned the ES against the 5 Series. It's an entry level near luxury, the same class as the 3 Series. The 3 outsells it. Still, the ES isn't a bad car, it's perfect for its intended audience.

I'll concede that BMW's by and large are better cars, but if you put the brand bashing to one side and give credit where it's due, it's worth remembering that Lexus has delivered something rather special in the LFA. The fastest BMW around the Nurburgring is the M3 GTS at 7:48. Lexus can do it in 7:14.
Yes the ES is perfect for its target market: those who want a very reliable, softly sprung car with a beautiful interior (we've had 2 in the family (my grandmother and father in law) so I speak from experience).

If you are going Japanese and are interested in more of a driver's car, the Infiniti M (I leased a M45 Sport for 4 years) and G and the Acura TL (my mother leases this and I have driven it a lot ) are much better picks. If you want a beautiful interior and a plush ride and great reliability then the ES is for you. If you love to drive, the ES's driving dynamics will put you to sleep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus ES compares with.. ?