The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)

Old 12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

TL system. 225 Watt, 8 speaker Panasonic DVD Audio, with DTS 5.1 digital processing.

DVD Audio is the next big advancement in audio recording quality. It is 24 bit, vs. 16 bit for CDs. The jump is basically as big as the jump when CD was invented.

Granted there are not many DVD audio recordings available yet... but there will be more and more over time.

DTS is the same processing you will find in high-end home theater and movie theater sound systems. It is similar to Dolby Digital.... however has been known for being better with music than Dolby Digital.

The Logic 7 does have more speakers, and more power.... but that is not always the most important thing.

The TL system sounds better to me..... just my impression.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Members

I looked at the TL - which I think is a great value. Great engine, fantastic electronics and the stereo is incredible. The standard all inclusive creature comforts of this car of this price is amazing. Problem with this car is that it is the Accord FWD platform and drives like it. Nor IMO does it look much better than an Accord.

The E60 drive and handling is at a whole different level. No comparison.

I have no experience driving the RL - but agree with others that should go back and drive another E60 while your RL drive is still fresh. It's all about your priorities.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Dec 4 2004, 06:18 PM
As you can see from my signature, I'm awating my 05 530i. I love the styling and how it drove when I test drove it, and am willing to put up with all the little problems I hear about (should they come up). I never considered another car really. But yesterday..

My friend from work asked if I wanted a ride home, since his girlfriend was picking him up. I said OK. It was dark out and here comes this silver car which I thought for a moment was an S class Benz. I step inside and WOW! It was the new 05 Acura RL she told me after I asked. I've never even looked at this car or considered it - Acura/Honda - not my thing I thought. This car had EVERYTHING! Awesome Navigation, awesome sound, XM sattelite, Bluetooth, 600 command voice recognition, 300hp, AWD, etc. (looked up the rest/specs when I got hom on Acura's site) and just about every option that you can get on an E60 - all standard for under $50,000!! I asked her if I could drive it for a bit after about 10 minutes. She didn't mind, so I took off. This thing did NOT feel like some boring Japanese car. My previous experience with Japanese cars left a lot to be desired in terms of steering feel, handling, etc. The were good/reliable rental cars to me. But this thing handled like a gem! I read up on Acura's SH-AWD later on the web and it worked like a charm. Everything about this car was just so logically layed out. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the exterior styling. I liked it, but I like the E60 more. But is that enough? Did I make the wrong choice? Now it got me thinking.

I read these boards daily now that I await my 530i, and I see all the little issues people complain about. Of course that doesn't mean I'll have them, but nevertheless I can see my 530i in the shop a lot more than the Acura. I just can't imagine the Acura having these problems. It seems like a solid car and a fun car too.

Now I'm trying to stop myself from having second doubts. It's weird for me to even think about this Acura RL. I like it better than the Audis, etc. No match. Handling is great, power is good, and the options are ALL there and then some!

I need some counseling!
[snapback]64725[/snapback]

For kicks, go to the road fly forum. People went crazy on a Acura versus e60 comparsion. Bad manners were evident.

Buying a car nowadays is tough. From the pictures I've seen, the interior on the RL looks incredible. Acura has aimed for Audi in terms of performance and interior quality. Looks wise, the e60 wins hands down and is distinct IMHO. Of course, like alot of people here, I'm very biased towards German cars. I haven't driven the Acura RL and might not. The styling is just not there and you need this and the WOW factor. I can believe the cabin layout and electronics are superior, as well as the reliability.

That said, I never based a car purchase on great electronics, gadgets and reliability. As a friend reminded me, when bumming about my CVT tranny being replaced in my A4, "dude we don't buy these cars for reliability, we buy em for pleasure!" As long as there's a waranty, going with this motto won't kill you.

CVTbenhogan

Deciding between the e60 and 2005 A6

Status
5er (spending majority of time at BMW forums )
2005 A6 (great interior, but my CVT A4 has one already
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

RL styling is borring... IMO... I like the TL much better.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Never heard of Acura. Certainly don't sell in the UK.

Generally Jap cars are seen as great quality but crap design/style. So they are popular, but never compete directly with German cars.

Italian cars (Alfa Romao etc) are very stylish, but crap quality. French cars are not quite as stylish, but quality is better.

English cars are boring style (not bad, but not exciting), and poor quality (not terrible, but not great either).

Outside of Europe, Jap cars aren't seen as having bad styling and therefore compete much more. Perhaps part of the reason why BMW sells at far far lower prices in the US.

Generally though, European cars LOOK better, and Jap cars WORK better. It's up to the user to decide what they want. And if anyone thinks "what's wrong with Jap styling", then there's little point you buying a Euopean car. IMHO

And if styling doesn't matter, and you're just after performance. Then buy a Porsche.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 5 2004, 12:01 AM
Never heard of Acura. Certainly don't sell in the UK.
[snapback]64908[/snapback]
acura = honda
infiniti = nissan
lexus = toyota
Old 12-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:32 PM
TL system.? 225 Watt, 8 speaker Panasonic DVD Audio, with DTS 5.1 digital processing.

DVD Audio is the next big advancement in audio recording quality.? It is 24 bit, vs. 16 bit for CDs.? The jump is basically as big as the jump when CD was invented.

Granted there are not many DVD audio recordings available yet...? but there will be more and more over time.

DTS is the same processing you will find in high-end home theater and movie theater sound systems.? It is similar to Dolby Digital....? however has been known for being better with music than Dolby Digital.

The Logic 7 does have more speakers, and more power....? but that is not always the most important thing.

The TL system sounds better to me.....? just my impression.
[snapback]64821[/snapback]
DVD-A I expect will die a betamax death - the masses don't care about it.

I also can't believe you compared HK to Bose while implying that panasonic was better. Just b/c something is at best buy doesn't mean it is bad. Yes - you won't find Macintosh amps there but you won't see them in a production car either.

Did you listen to the TL for long? Where you only listening to DVD-As at low volume? The stereo was fine but distorts easily at higher volumes. Hey fine - maybe there was something wrong with the car I was in....
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

For kicks, go to the road fly forum. People went crazy on a Acura versus e60 comparsion. Bad manners were evident.
I couldn't find this thread anywhere... heh can someone link me?
edit: nvm found it.

Hmmm, gizmo/reliablility/ergonomics -> japaneese cars
styling/driving pleasure -> european cars ;P
Old 12-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Members

Thanks all. This wasn't meant to be a thread of Acura vs. BMW. It was just an observation I wanted to share and more importantly to reaffirm my choice. Previously I had never been inside of an Acura and Friday, this RL impressed the hell out of me, in that it wasn't just luxurious and functional electronically, but the handling and feel were superb. But as I said, and others have pointed out, the 300hp V6 on the RL feels about as quick as the 225HP engine on the 530iA - mostly due to the RL's weight and the AWD system. And also like I said, I MUCH prefer the BMW styling and RWD in general.

I am just afraid of the small gremlins that I read on this forum affecting me - that's all. But I'll be OK. I'm going with the E60
Old 12-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

SACD playback would be more prefferable then DVD-Audio. Over here you can hardly find DVD-Audio tracks and loads of SACD's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)