The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the RL and was actually a little dissapointed. It's slower than the TL, I don't think it feels any faster than the 530. So, if driving feel is what's important to you, get the 530 - there really isn't much to compare.

However, if you really get into all the bells and whistles - Nav, sat radio, heated seats etc., and if reliability is really important then the RL is tough to beat for the price.

I also find the styling of the RL pretty boring. But IMO you should continue to test drive until you're sure you are making the right choice.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I am in similar position. I just order my 530i, & expect to take delivery in mid February when my current lease is up. I test drove the Audi A6 as well as the Acura RL & TL.

The RL is definitely the nicest Acura or Japanese car I have driven. I thought its driving characteristic were similar to the TL in terms of ride comfort & feel. The cars handling was very good and the AWD was an added plus. The nav system was excellent & just as easy to use as Hertz Neverlost (my only exp). The car definitely had the WOW factor for all the cool electronics, but I felt the car was over priced in comparison to the TL. IMHO, the car drives too similarly to the TL and has no additional space. I found the BMW more fun to drive, albeit the interior in the RL as well as A6 was nicer.

I also liked the A6. To me, its the nicest looking car in its class. Its engine and overall driving dynamics have been greatly improved. Its handling still lags the BMW and the car is likely to have a lot of bugs. I have owned 5 Audis in the past. I love them, but I would expect to be at dealer fairly often. While both cars are similarly priced to the 530i, you can get a better deal of the 530i, particularly if you lease.

You have made a good choice. If you are nervous, go and take another test drive. Your spending a lot of money and you really should have no doubt what is best for you. I think reliability should be good & improving based on my 2002 X5 in comparison with its earlier years.

macct

PS - I also wanted to mentioned I test drove the Subaru Outback 2.5X. Its not in the luxury class, but it was a really fun car to drive with the turbo. I can now see why the Subaru has such a high loyalty percentage.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Acuras do give you a lot for your money, but for 50K, I don't see how I could pass up on an Audi S4.

Any particular reason why you dislike Audi?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:53 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:50 PM']go test drive both again before you make your final decision.? for me, style is very important.? that's why no rl for me .
[snapback]64747[/snapback]
He has made his decision. The E60 is arriving any day.
[snapback]64748[/snapback]
[/quote]
i know. but if he hasn't paid for it yet, he can always change his mind .
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

urbo73, If you are still in doubt between 530i and Acura RL, my suggestion to you is.. get 545i.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Acura makes great cars, and they are excellent value for the money.

The stock stereo in the TL is noticably better than even the Logic 7 on any BMW. Plus, it plays DVD Audio. Certainly ahead of the competition in the technology arena.

I considered the TL when I was looking for my new car. I really liked it.... but I just wanted more car. Not really a fair comparison to my 545 SMG..... although I wish my 545 had the Acura stereo in it.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 4 2004, 08:16 PM
Acura makes great cars, and they are excellent value for the money.

The stock stereo in the TL is noticably better than even the Logic 7 on any BMW.? Plus, it plays DVD Audio.? Certainly ahead of the competition in the technology arena.

[snapback]64772[/snapback]
Ahhhhh... No it is not. Something is wrong with your car. Logic 7 is better than the TL stereo - guaranteed. Now the RL is pretty close..
Old 12-04-2004, 05:39 PM
RAI
Members

I haven't driven an RL, but if its similar to the TL (as some above say) I know I wouldn't like it at all. I thought the TL was the definition of boring to drive--severely disappointing. I don't know...I just wouldn't even consided the RL in the same sentence as the E60 at all. Not at all.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I know this probably sounds stupid.....
But I used to compete in car audio.... Sound Quality, 1000 Watts and higher.

Last stereo in my old car was 1800 Watt competition Sound Q system.

I have listened to both TL and Logic 7 (I now have Logic 7)

TL sounds better..... to my ears.

The processing on the Logic 7 must be turned on in order to get a decent soundstage. The Concert and Theater settings do improve the imaging, but still did not sound as warm as the TL. I have adjusted the EQ setting some. (My old car I had two separate 30 band EQs (one left channel one right). So I'm used to more tweaking, but the EQs on the Logic 7 do help some.

The TL has a true, 5.1 channel system. DVD Audio capability. Technologically, it puts Logic 7 to shame. Plus, BMW uses Harmon Kardon gear.... which is almost as bad as Bose. Harmon Kardon stuff is typically found at Circuit City, so that should be enough testimony to the quality.

Panasonic designed the TL system. I'm not a huge Panasonic fan either, but it's certainly a step up from Harmon Kardon.

End of the day, I preferred the TL system. I was impressed by the sound on both systems. For factory (which isn't saying much), they are both top-notch. I've just been spoiled with my old hobbies..... that's all.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow! TL sound system that good?????????

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)