The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)

Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can see from my signature, I'm awating my 05 530i. I love the styling and how it drove when I test drove it, and am willing to put up with all the little problems I hear about (should they come up). I never considered another car really. But yesterday..

My friend from work asked if I wanted a ride home, since his girlfriend was picking him up. I said OK. It was dark out and here comes this silver car which I thought for a moment was an S class Benz. I step inside and WOW! It was the new 05 Acura RL she told me after I asked. I've never even looked at this car or considered it - Acura/Honda - not my thing I thought. This car had EVERYTHING! Awesome Navigation, awesome sound, XM sattelite, Bluetooth, 600 command voice recognition, 300hp, AWD, etc. (looked up the rest/specs when I got hom on Acura's site) and just about every option that you can get on an E60 - all standard for under $50,000!! I asked her if I could drive it for a bit after about 10 minutes. She didn't mind, so I took off. This thing did NOT feel like some boring Japanese car. My previous experience with Japanese cars left a lot to be desired in terms of steering feel, handling, etc. The were good/reliable rental cars to me. But this thing handled like a gem! I read up on Acura's SH-AWD later on the web and it worked like a charm. Everything about this car was just so logically layed out. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the exterior styling. I liked it, but I like the E60 more. But is that enough? Did I make the wrong choice? Now it got me thinking.

I read these boards daily now that I await my 530i, and I see all the little issues people complain about. Of course that doesn't mean I'll have them, but nevertheless I can see my 530i in the shop a lot more than the Acura. I just can't imagine the Acura having these problems. It seems like a solid car and a fun car too.

Now I'm trying to stop myself from having second doubts. It's weird for me to even think about this Acura RL. I like it better than the Audis, etc. No match. Handling is great, power is good, and the options are ALL there and then some!

I need some counseling!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:18 PM
As you can see from my signature, I'm awating my 05 530i. I love the styling and how it drove when I test drove it, and am willing to put up with all the little problems I hear about (should they come up). I never considered another car really. But yesterday..

My friend from work asked if I wanted a ride home, since his girlfriend was picking him up. I said OK. It was dark out and here comes this silver car which I thought for a moment was an S class Benz. I step inside and WOW! It was the new 05 Acura RL she told me after I asked. I've never even looked at this car or considered it - Acura/Honda - not my thing I thought. This car had EVERYTHING! Awesome Navigation, awesome sound, XM sattelite, Bluetooth, 600 command voice recognition, 300hp, AWD, etc. (looked up the rest/specs when I got hom on Acura's site) and just about every option that you can get on an E60 - all standard for under $50,000!! I asked her if I could drive it for a bit after about 10 minutes. She didn't mind, so I took off. This thing did NOT feel like some boring Japanese car. My previous experience with Japanese cars left a lot to be desired in terms of steering feel, handling, etc. The were good/reliable rental cars to me. But this thing handled like a gem! I read up on Acura's SH-AWD later on the web and it worked like a charm. Everything about this car was just so logically layed out. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the exterior styling. I liked it, but I like the E60 more. But is that enough? Did I make the wrong choice? Now it got me thinking.

I read these boards daily now that I await my 530i, and I see all the little issues people complain about. Of course that doesn't mean I'll have them, but nevertheless I can see my 530i in the shop a lot more than the Acura. I just can't imagine the Acura having these problems. It seems like a solid car and a fun car too.

Now I'm trying to stop myself from having second doubts. It's weird for me to even think about this Acura RL. I like it better than the Audis, etc. No match. Handling is great, power is good, and the options are ALL there and then some!

I need some counseling!
[snapback]64725[/snapback]
Its hard to help you with this one. I have long been a Honda/Acura fan. I drove the TL but didn't like the FWD. There was no AWD RL when I bought my E60, and I wanted a manual transmission so I would probably go E60 again if I had a choice. If I was considering a 530iA, I would give the RL nod.

That said, I love my car. I have had no problems whatsovever. It runs like a dream and has every creature compfort I want.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 07:45 PM
If I was considering a 530iA, I would give the RL nod.
[snapback]64729[/snapback]
I hear you. Do you say that because of the power mainly? I didn't find the RL that much faster than the 530i - it's heavier and still has a V6 that loves to rev. Even on paper, 0-60 times are similar.

Or are you basically saying that if one is going the auto tranny route, the RL is the better choice perhaps, regardless if you choose an auto 530 or 545?

I don't know - I love the E60 styling and handling just as much. I'm just afraid of the little "gizmos" that I read about. And I've never seen the Nav on the E60 - but the Acura's was amazing. I've read iffy things about the BMW Nav.

I guess it's like comparing a Japanese Benz to a sporty BMW. And in your opinion, the BMW should be with a manual tranny. That makes sense, but after 15+ years of driving only manual RWD cars, I've gotten a tad lazy and want the auto.

I guess my main "fear" is the BMW in the shop all the time.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

You didn't make a mistake.

You're right about that RL having every bell and whistle known but don't let that 300HP fool you. All the comparisons I've seen thus far would suggest a 225hp 530i is just as quick 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

We were interested in the RL but were given such a bad brush off by our Acura dealer that we decided to explore some other options. That RL is a lot of car at a great price (considering) but from what I can tell, IMO you're getting more car with your 530i.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I think the RL is more advanced in the electronics, but in quality and engineering the BMW is far supperior, as far as this board goes you only hear about the problems from a small group we who are not having problems don't start topics here
Old 12-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The only mistake you made is, you've asked the wrong question on a BMW board.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Dec 4 2004, 08:21 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 07:45 PM']If I was considering a 530iA, I would give the RL nod.
I hear you. Do you say that because of the power mainly? I didn't find the RL that much faster than the 530i - it's heavier and still has a V6 that loves to rev. Even on paper, 0-60 times are similar.

Or are you basically saying that if one is going the auto tranny route, the RL is the better choice perhaps, regardless if you choose an auto 530 or 545?

I don't know - I love the E60 styling and handling just as much. I'm just afraid of the little "gizmos" that I read about. And I've never seen the Nav on the E60 - but the Acura's was amazing. I've read iffy things about the BMW Nav.

I guess it's like comparing a Japanese Benz to a sporty BMW. And in your opinion, the BMW should be with a manual tranny. That makes sense, but after 15+ years of driving only manual RWD cars, I've gotten a tad lazy and want the auto.

[snapback]64740[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've owned both BMWs and Honda's and on average I would guess the reliability rating reported for Honda/Acura are probably better. Averages are just that however: my 2003 Honda Pilot has been in the shop 3x for simple recalls during a time when my 1999 e46 was in the shop once for general maintenance. Another point is that I would not go by message board like this one to gleen reliability scores since those with problems are inpired to post on them. I used to frequent e46 boards for years and reading them I would have thought I bought the worst car ever made (my real experience has been quite the opposite)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:21 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 07:45 PM']If I was considering a 530iA, I would give the RL nod.

[snapback]64740[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know, if I didn't read this forum, I would think the E60 is as reliable as any car on the road. I actually think it is. It is the enthusiast with high standards that critic the car.

I have had NO problems with my car. I had a problem with the seal between the A pillar and the winshield. It whistled over 125mph. I may never have noticed this in a Honda, because you just don't breeze over that speed that often. I took delivery in Germany so it was easy to detect. This was fixed before US delivery.

I have also had the Bluetooth retrofit. It boils down to your relationship with your dealer and how good they are. My dealer has the best service department in town. They like me, are very accomodating and look after my needs.

The ACURA dealer next door was not as friendly when I tested a TL. My wife's Honda odyssey has recently cost us $2000 in repairs to AC and front suspension.

Almost $400 of this was rework done by Honda dealerships. We finally went to an independant to take care of this.

So If you like the E60, I would not worry about it. Its a great car, has a bumper to bumper warranty and yours is a 2005. You will be happy.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

go test drive both again before you make your final decision. for me, style is very important. that's why no rl for me .
Old 12-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:50 PM
go test drive both again before you make your final decision.? for me, style is very important.? that's why no rl for me .
[snapback]64747[/snapback]
He has made his decision. The E60 is arriving any day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)