The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Cupholders - Why?

Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 525 Sapphire Black

Apart from the obvious - to have sips of your favourite drinkie while driving around but surely there can't be that many parched motorists out there? I have always been intrigued by why people care so much about cupholders on cars... Call me simple but I have never used one and doubt I ever will. I drive 30 minutes each way to work but never feel the need to drink anything in that time. Taking longer trips in the past I have just bought bottles of drink with lids which you can put anywhere you like, not sticking up beside your dash. If you "need" coffee from a drive-through you are probaby too tired to be driving so should take a break. I snicker to myself and think of people in ten years time driving around with bain marie's in their cars taking servings from the wet dishes - this is how I consider cupholders! Does anybody else out there consider them pointless?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:22 AM
JDN
Contributors

Nope. I enjoy and use mine on occasions for more enjoyable motoring. Mebbe I drink more coffee than you do.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

No I like cup holders, not just coffee, sometimes soft drinks or hot chocolate.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I actually don't like the BMW cup holders. If you have a bottle in the cup holders it will actually fall out if you accelerate pretty much and that sucks!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ross1972' post='200593' date='Nov 19 2005, 11:20 AM
Apart from the obvious - to have sips of your favourite drinkie while driving around but surely there can't be that many parched motorists out there? I have always been intrigued by why people care so much about cupholders on cars... Call me simple but I have never used one and doubt I ever will. I drive 30 minutes each way to work but never feel the need to drink anything in that time. Taking longer trips in the past I have just bought bottles of drink with lids which you can put anywhere you like, not sticking up beside your dash. If you "need" coffee from a drive-through you are probaby too tired to be driving so should take a break. I snicker to myself and think of people in ten years time driving around with bain marie's in their cars taking servings from the wet dishes - this is how I consider cupholders! Does anybody else out there consider them pointless?
Welcome to the fora. I am drinking something pretty much constantly--water, coffee, or soda. Thus, I use my drink holder a great deal of the time I am in my car. My holder contributes to my excellent state of hydration; thus, our holders provide a medical benefit. ~{;^) While not documented, the holders also reduce our insurance costs by minimizing the number of lawsuits because of hot coffee being spilled in our passengers laps. ~{;^) I'm sure that our imaginative group can think of other benefits.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ross1972' post='200593' date='Nov 19 2005, 08:20 AM
Cupholders are obviously not pointless -- nearly every single car even remotely marketed to the general public (i.e. not a Lotus Elise for example) come standard with cupholders (yes, plural, as in more than one cupholder).

So obviously the research/marketing depts. of all major car manufacturers think and believe (and in my opinion rightfully so) that cupholders are relevant -- and therefore not pointless.

I think what frustrates most people about cupholders is not their presence (or existence) in the car's interior cabin, but their placement and construction.

Cupholders are so easy to make vis-a-vis everything else that goes into making a car comfortable, safe and easy to use. Cupholders are probably easier and cheaper to design than airbags, or remote access, or memory seats, lumbar support, bluetooth, voice command, etc.

Take this as an example. If car designers like BMW approached cupholders in the same way they approached, for example, the rear view mirror then the E60 would probably have a rear view mirror that was not rectangular in shape but maybe something awkward like triangular. Can you imagine looking into a rear view mirror that was not in the same shape as your rear glass panel??
Old 11-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

while reading reviews on cars from all makes - i noticed that numerous magazines mention that our American friends are the ones who insist on having cupholders
Old 11-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I have two in my car and use them all the time we drive normally 2000-4000kms one trip, so you GET thirsty, mine are still ok, never had a problem with them...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ats77' post='200931' date='Nov 20 2005, 05:43 AM
I have two in my car and use them all the time we drive normally 2000-4000kms one trip, so you GET thirsty, mine are still ok, never had a problem with them...
My only problem on trips is drinking too much and having to stop too often. And, its not because I am one of the old dudes. So, no comments along these lines allowed. Well, OK, go ahead if you want.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Hi,

The only free time to do some sport is in luch time so i have to eat and drink something on the way. As you can imagine cup holders would be nice to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cupholders - Why?