The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Cadillac STS Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I have driven a CTS and I thought the driving was good. Not sure it I can say its better than BMW but it was nice. both the styling of the CTS and STS is nice especially the CTS-V. But again its not for me.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Members

I haven't driven the STS but have driven the CTS-V. While its interior wasn't on par with BMW, the driving experience was very good. Very sports car-like. I was surprised that it didn't seem any quicker than the 545 given the CTS-V has 400 BHP. Then again, the demo car had less than 250 miles on it.

In the end I went for the 545 because it seemed more refined, more spacious, and definitely more advanced. Plus I couldn't stomach the huge depreciation hit of the Cadillac.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Originally Posted by reckamech' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:22 AM
Before you bash it, has anyone driven the new STS?? I have and it is better that you think.
[snapback]54550[/snapback]

I wasn't bashing the STS but GM/Cadillac obviously approved a commercial that says the E60 and others should FEAR the STS.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by jyeatman' date='Nov 10 2004, 12:25 PM
I haven't driven the STS but have driven the CTS-V.? While its interior wasn't on par with BMW, the driving experience was very good.? Very sports car-like.? I was surprised that it didn't seem any quicker than the 545 given the CTS-V has 400 BHP.? Then again, the demo car had less than 250 miles on it.

In the end I went for the 545 because it seemed more refined, more spacious, and definitely more advanced.? Plus I couldn't stomach the huge depreciation hit of the Cadillac.
[snapback]54589[/snapback]
I drove one of the first CTS-V's to hit New England. I could not stand the interior (reminded me of an early 90's Firebird). Handling reminded me of a 93 Mustang Cobra (very twitchy and unsettled and loads of axle hop). Needless to say, I went with the 545.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Members

Well at least the MOB/Crime families have another choice for their fleet of cars! :winkcool:
Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:46 AM
[quote name='reckamech' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:22 AM']Before you bash it, has anyone driven the new STS?? I have and it is better that you think.
[snapback]54550[/snapback]
Do you think its better looking than an E60?
I think it definitely looks more aggressive.
[snapback]54559[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply I have been busy and haven't been here in a while. To be honest with you I really like the STS styling and after driving one I was really impressed with the handleing. The V8 really does move and it has a lot of bang for the buck. I do not think it is better than the 545 but it is a very good competitior. I don't have either one yet but the competion is getting very stiff for BMW from all auto manufactures not just Caddy. Go to the Caddy website and check out all the features. With that said the 545 is at the top of my list still.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I looked at the STS when I was in Michigan about 2 months ago. Didn't get to drive it, but I have driven the previous STS before, and its engine was pretty nice, so I don't doubt that it can go and comfortably, but it is still missing the "small details" that it needs to really pull customers from BMW, not to mention other automakers. The biggest issue I had with the interior was the material used on the door panel under the door pull. If felt like some type of robust plastic. Very, very cheap feel there. Also, it does not (STS-V may) come with a manual or an SMG-like option. And Cadillac's still don't hold their value very well. Time may change that, but it will take SOME time.

The funny thing is, I am planning on getting a 525-6speed. With my GMS discount, I could get the STS V8 version for less than I am going to pay for the 525. Am I crazy? Some may think so, but acceleration is not the only important factor I look for, and for me the STS just misses the mark.

Caddy does make better quality than other GM divisions and they may get close, but I don't think they will ever be THERE.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributors

I looked at the CTS and STS. Both nice cars. Cadillac has come a long way but I don't think they have caught up to BMW for a pure "drivers car". I like the handling on my car much better and the SMG is awesome.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 13 2004, 01:39 PM
I looked at the STS when I was in Michigan about 2 months ago.? Didn't get to drive it, but I have driven the previous STS before, and its engine was pretty nice, so I don't doubt that it can go and comfortably, but it is still missing the "small details" that it needs to really pull customers from BMW, not to mention other automakers.? The biggest issue I had with the interior was the material used on the door panel under the door pull.? If felt like some type of robust plastic.? Very, very cheap feel there.? Also, it does not (STS-V may) come with a manual or an SMG-like option.? And Cadillac's still don't hold their value very well.? Time may change that, but it will take SOME time.

The funny thing is, I am planning on getting a 525-6speed.? With my GMS discount, I could get the STS V8 version for less than I am going to pay for the 525.? Am I crazy?? Some may think so, but acceleration is not the only important factor I look for, and for me the STS just misses the mark.

Caddy does make better quality than other GM divisions and they may get close, but I don't think they will ever be THERE.
[snapback]55768[/snapback]
Aaron,

I also get GMS but that will NOT sway my decision . I am just saying that caddy has come a long way. I hear sales are brisk for the new sts.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

reckamech,

I believe it. The STS is a good value, but it is rather bland in my opinion. The CTS is much more cutting edge and I like its design better than the STS. I think the XLR is a little too far, the CTS is nice and the STS is not far enough...does that may since?

I am glad that I am not alone. I know that an STS will be able to dust me off the line in my 525, but I will be happier while I am driving, and I will be much happier five years from now when my car still has some value and it is still making me smile.

Quick Reply: Cadillac STS Commercial