The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kinda odd doing it in Germany sometimes because there might be 2 or 3 towns or areas in the same code. But yes it works like a charm.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 PM

As far as the nav the alpine that I have on my sub that is 4 years old is 10 times better, as far as the BMW system you can put the arrow display on HUD the map in the right screen and use the left screen for radio, phone, cd ect.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Definitely check the tire pressure, mine was delivered seriously off (25 f/30 r). What a difference correct tire pressure makes!

The 18" runflats in the sport package do tramline considerably, I have to agree. I believe part of it is that the servotronic is a overboosted. The other part is that NYC roads suck, and 18" tramline a lot. When I have 17"s on (winters) tramlining is very different. One other thing to keep in mind, is that if there is a lot of crosswind, AS will auto-correct. It feels a bit unnatural at first, but if you just learn to trust it, it does do the right thing.

Don't know what else to tell you, see if you can get the dealer to give you a car for a test drive and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Members

Very harsh words. I'm at 3500 miles and loving every minute in the car, except that I'm bumming over a scratch on my rear passenger side door.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributors

I like the Nav, but I have the HUD, and it displays the exit number and street/destination with arrow. I loved it on my trip back.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Members

one thing that i keep in mind is that not all people are gonna like all this technology. i love technology now but when im 60+ im gonna hate it.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Dec 3 2004, 10:05 PM
one thing that i keep in mind is that not all people are gonna like all this technology.? i love technology now but when im 60+ im gonna hate it.
[snapback]64367[/snapback]
Unless your 59ish now, you'll be used to it by the time you're 60!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Guest_2004RType_*

First off the Nav should display the exit numbers and be much more specific,thee is no reason a car of thei caliber has to have a mediocre system, the map is plain useless, not much better than and Audi system in the A4 series. I mean You can miss an exit if your driving faster than 65mph it almost happend today I cant get over that I mapquested my destinations today not feeling very confident in the NAV, I couldn not turn the thing off once I got to my location and the screen frooze twice I gave up and just cranked the radio more, it actually annoyed me, plus the Nav voice sounds like a robot, I miss My British Jaguar Nav girl.

If i knew it was this type of system I would have opted not to get it, for 2k its sucks or at least make it standard, the car has so much technology and this area is so lacking for us, especially how US markets are so influential on new car designs.

I finally got the Logic 7 toned down to make me 80% happy, I put the fader a bit towards the rear, and cut all the frequencies from 500hz up 3 nothces and lowered the bass to the center and treble to the center, it helped alot.

The first thing I checked was tire pressue I have direct air feed in my home and a real tire gauge, it did nothing, the car just feels so nervous, It remids me of my 2001 Jaguar Silverstone with worn out Lower Control arm bushings with 20" wheels, it feels terrible, and Im riding on only 18's on a larger car.

The Ms with 19's and is so small feels more confident on these NY roads in my opinion.

Im running 35/33 f/r and I tried about 6 different configurations so far this felt best.

And someone posted will I sell the car, I already Have two calls in to family members who want it, well see. Take the lease and give me 1/2 of my upfront fees and Id take the loss and buy something else.

I clearly think the car drives amazing, under ideal conditons, my comute daily is far from ideal.

Dealers give you BS test drives so that was useless.

I test drove one for almost 1.5 hrs from a guy I met on swapalease.com

However I drove the car in areas I never attend, thats what sold me on the car, thereafter no local dealer had a 545i Sport to further test drive, so I used the experience from the guy who met me as the reason to go ahead with the purchase.

The car also feels very light up front, I can not get over how badly the crosswinds push and pull this car all over the place, It reminds me of a Mercedes ML all over the road.

One of the main driving characteristics that really I enjoy is confidence, in the E60 I have it on local roads up to 45mph on the highway I dont have it as in other cars.

I do not think putting more miles on the car will change my perception right now, I know no car is perfect and each car exhibits its own unique behavior and I can hands down say as a NY driver this car just does not please me 100%

if we had German highways here it would ROCK 100% we dont and between the nuerotic NY drivers, cell phones, traffic and idiot drivers you really have to change your driving style, I dont feel relaxed one bit, let just say, at 3am Im tired I dont want to or should have to fight the steering wheel all the way home. I thought the sponge Mercedes EClass was bad.

One last note I have a Snow Tire Package, and I have swaped them out the other day it took me 30 min and the car still feels the same, 17'

Go figure.

Anyone in the NY tri state and has serious interest the car is loaded, black.bk 500 miles and its a 2 year lease.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Sell it to someone who will appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nav does give the exit numbers -- not sure what you're looking at...

Quick Reply: 545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating