The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:43 PM

jtp1947

I agree is your 545i a total nightmare?

Car was fun but now I live with it everyday it doesnt do crap for me anymore, has no character

I was at a clients house today and I took his red XKR for a ride I was in heaven, Love the XKR Coupe.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Wanna sell your ride? <_<
Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Members

I too hated the nav but now i got it to work properly with the arrow funtion on the spit scree.

Maybe its me but I love the active steering man, I really do.

I have the smg and and love that too.

Best car I haev ever driven thus far, although this being my 3rd bmw i am sure im gonna be at the shop ALLOT.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 3 2004, 07:42 PM
You should have got an Aston Martin Vanquish.? Then you would have had no problems.? But since you have an E60,? may I suggest that you RTFM.

The Navigation may not be as stellar as on some Japanese cars (so I've heard) but it does all you ask of it.

You can turn voice instructions on or off with the steering wheel button.? It can also be used to prompt for instructions. As posted here you can also cancel guidance using the I-drive.

There are 3 kinds of MAP.? The direction of Travel,? the Map facing north and the Arrow Map.? If you really need guidance you can have the arrow map in one window and the main map in the other.? The arrow map tells you where to exit, which street to turn on and the distance you need to travel before the turn/exit down to 50ft.

All of this is readily available through both I-drive and Voice commands.? You can even zoom the maps in or out using voice commands.? I am really not quite sure what else you need to guide you.

Now if they would allow Zipcode entry it would make entering an address easier.

I have driven the looser and tighter (post software update) AS for over 2000 miles each at high speeds.? I have never experienced any wandering.? Check your tire pressure.

AutoBox acting up???? I have a manual.? Its the sweetest tranny I have ever driven.
[snapback]64289[/snapback]
Good post. I agree with everything you said.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 3 2004, 02:21 PM
Can't defend the Nav- never really liked the concept to begin with.

However, you definitely have something wrong with the steering.? I assume you test drive a car before you bought it, and you did not have this problem, so we can rule out your driving 'style'.? My car is the best I've ever driven in terms of high speed stability and road feel.? I have heard the runflats can be a problem on uneven or grooved roads, so this might be part of your problem.? But I had my car with runflats up to over 150 mph on the German Autobahn and it felt rock solid.? I would check your tires, wheels, and alighnment.? Check your tire pressure first.
[snapback]64149[/snapback]
When I picked up my car I was surprised at how off the tire pressures were, and how much being off effected the runflats.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

SOP for my dealership is 32 psi all the way around. That is the way it was delivered. I checked the spare for the first time a week or so ago and it was a cool 20 psi low.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:42 AM
Now if they would allow Zipcode entry it would make entering an address easier.
Hmm... I have been using zip code entry since I got the car!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:28 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:42 AM']Now if they would allow Zipcode entry it would make entering an address easier.
Hmm... I have been using zip code entry since I got the car!
[snapback]64316[/snapback]
[/quote]
Are you serious?
I've only seen that on bus nav!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Barring that something is actually wrong, this car does drive and handle much differently than most other cars. There are some tradeoffs in making a 3800 lbs car drive like a 2800 lbs car. The steering, brakes, and tranny's, especially with the sports package, are very responsive and since you are coming from a Jag, the 545 will feel downright twitchy. I drive in NYC with both my car and motorcycle and especially on the bike, you would not believe how much the tractor trailors create ruts in the road-There is a differential of 6" between the center of the lane and where the tires track. All my other cars, both Mercedes and BMW's, get caught in it. 500 miles is not enough time, many of us now feel funny driving other cars. When ever I drive my wifes car it feels like I'm driving a boat in water- the 545 will eventually spoil you.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yes, you can do zipcode entry. At the city prompt, look past all the letters and enter the numbers first...

Quick Reply: 545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating