The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used my Nav, I hate it, I cant see where in the menu you can cancel the the guidance when you want

It is all voice dont know why they even show a map, it does not highlight which exit number, or road name or highway, I think this is terrible,

Is there something I am missing here?

Active steering is great ,on the freeay the car is all over the road, it feels like i have bad lower control arms and a loose steering rack, just came from a clients house 1 hour away i had to fight the wheel on every straight stretch.

Not happy

And to top this off my Auto Box is acting up so badly I am so mad that this is all coming from such an expensive 67k car.

The more I get used to this car in my daily driving conditons I hate to say this I really miss my Jaguar for a number of reasons, Looks, Speed, Best Nav I ever used and its rock solid stability at all speeds, granted its noiser, not built as good etc, but I really enjoyed driving the S Type R more than my Brand New Bimmer.

Hey I may post one day for someone in the NY tri state to assume my lease I am that disgusted and its only one week!!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I can't defend BMW's Navigation system. It's not the best out there. But nevertheless, it gets me there correctly.

Now, regarding your stability issues; I have never experienced any abnormality with my car. Maybe I have only taken it to 120 MPH, and on glass-like surfaces of German autobahn.

I honestly feel your pain. I would talk to the dealer about it and possibly get out of this car with minimum damage to your wallet. Get a different car if BMW doesn't rub you in the right way.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Dec 3 2004, 08:22 PM
Is there something I am missing here?
[snapback]64080[/snapback]
Yes!!!!!

RTFM
Old 12-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

it took me a little while to figure out how to cancel the route guidance too, it drove me nuts for the longest time.

go to NAVIGATION - go down & select your ROUTE - & click on it - then a menu will come up - and take the check mark out of that route. you also have options of split window, i generally make the left (BIG) the map view, and the right (little) ARROW guidance.

hope this helps a little.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Members

At least Im not the only one and in terms of an autobahn road in NY, it does not exist the car tramlines so badly its dangerous on some roads.

I have to say I hate the Nav

And I really mean it I should have bought the 2005 Jaguar S Type R, but I just wanted something new and didnt want to drive the same car twice just in a different color. And now look what I alreayd got myself into!!

If this car really give me HELL with Problems Im and not going to keep it long, and I will even include my radar ssytem for FREE
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I just used my Nav, I hate it, I cant see where in the menu you can cancel the the guidance when you want
In the list with the destinations you see your current destination marked with an arrow pointing towards a point in front of it. Select it by pushing the idrive knob and then uncheck the box in the menu that pops up.

And to top this off my Auto Box is acting up so badly I am so mad that this is all coming from such an expensive 67k car.
Your tranny is learning how you drive and adapts your driving style. It may get better. If not a software update can help too.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I've assigned nav to the wheel buttons. Press the button for 5 seconds and nav voice is muted. Then I can just ignore nav, rather than having to cancel it.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Can't defend the Nav- never really liked the concept to begin with.

However, you definitely have something wrong with the steering. I assume you test drive a car before you bought it, and you did not have this problem, so we can rule out your driving 'style'. My car is the best I've ever driven in terms of high speed stability and road feel. I have heard the runflats can be a problem on uneven or grooved roads, so this might be part of your problem. But I had my car with runflats up to over 150 mph on the German Autobahn and it felt rock solid. I would check your tires, wheels, and alighnment. Check your tire pressure first.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

And I really mean it I should have bought the 2005 Jaguar S Type R, but I just wanted something new and didnt want to drive the same car twice just in a different color. And now look what I alreayd got myself into!!

I think you shoud have also.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

You should have got an Aston Martin Vanquish. Then you would have had no problems. But since you have an E60, may I suggest that you RTFM.

The Navigation may not be as stellar as on some Japanese cars (so I've heard) but it does all you ask of it.

You can turn voice instructions on or off with the steering wheel button. It can also be used to prompt for instructions. As posted here you can also cancel guidance using the I-drive.

There are 3 kinds of MAP. The direction of Travel, the Map facing north and the Arrow Map. If you really need guidance you can have the arrow map in one window and the main map in the other. The arrow map tells you where to exit, which street to turn on and the distance you need to travel before the turn/exit down to 50ft.

All of this is readily available through both I-drive and Voice commands. You can even zoom the maps in or out using voice commands. I am really not quite sure what else you need to guide you.

Now if they would allow Zipcode entry it would make entering an address easier.

I have driven the looser and tighter (post software update) AS for over 2000 miles each at high speeds. I have never experienced any wandering. Check your tire pressure.

AutoBox acting up??? I have a manual. Its the sweetest tranny I have ever driven.

Quick Reply: 545i Only 500 Miles More Remarks Im hating