Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

SOS Malfunction and High Battery Drain

Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi winter sport package
Unhappy SOS Malfunction and High Battery Drain

Hi Everyone,
I've been searching this site ( and the internet) for a while and i haven't found anyone with the same issue so i figured i'd post here for some ideas

I have a 2008 528xi that i first noticed the High Battery Drain message a little over a year ago and i think within the same week, my bluetooth and voice command stopped working, and with it came the SOS malfunction message with every start and the high battery drain message everytime the car was parked for 8 hours or more. Before long the car was going completely dead and needing a jump.
Took it to the Dealership and i was told i needed a new battery. ( Duh!). The service guy said the malfunction warnings were just telltale signs of a weak battery. So $400 later, with the new battery in the car. I got the same message on start up . I refuse to go back to the dealership and play hit and miss with out of warranty repairs with them so i decided to do as much research as possible. Here's what i know so far:
1: I have an iphone 5. I was advised that the phone is not compatible with the bluetooth system on an e60. Continuing to use it might fry the module
2: Whenever bluetooth is enabled in iDrive, which is always because it's stuck, the battery drains overnight.
3: I took the car to an indy who "ran tests" . Whatever he did, he was able to [uncheck/disable] bluetooth in iDrive and my battery stopped draining for about a week or so.
after which the problem came back. because bluetooth enabled itself in iDrive again.

The indy guy says he doesn't remember what he did the last time but they're giving me a quote for about $600 to replace the iBS cable and a bunch of battery connectors. I could had sworn this is a bluetooth issue even though my radio and every other part of iDrive still works perfectly.
Does anyone know how the battery cables to be replaced would fix the bluetooth? I don't know too much about cars so i really can't make the connection. I'm ready for this problem to end but my car is out of warranty. I'd rather pay to have it fixed once and for all.

Last edited by AtLBeem; 02-27-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

HI

1. iPhone Works very well in BMW E60 , no problem there , what you been told is "old mans talk"
2. Seems the TCU/ULF unit is defect , either the modul it self , or a bad MOST-Bus connection , this does that the modul do not go into "sleepmode" and then you get the battery power drain.
3.Try and disconnect the TCU/ULF modul ( remeber to make a loop on the MOST-Bus ) , if the problem then is solved , your TCU/ULF modul is defect , if not , it will proberly be your IBS at the battery that is defect ( common faliur )

Regards
BenAnd