Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth enable TCU - question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Don't rely on a sticker. Look at the TCU build date. Anything listed as prior to March 2004 (listed on the sticker in DAY.MONTH.YEAR format, ie "USA 01.03.2004") simply won't work correctly. The Bluetooth hardware existed in the early build TCUs - hence the stickers and such. However, the hardware driving the system couldn't handle telematics and BT simultaneously. The early TCU bluetooth modules were hardware-disabled to ensure proper telematics remained operational. Unfortunately, that meant retrofits for those with TCUs earlier than March 2004.
Thanks for the info, last question, can a E90 TCU work in an E60?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by superjodz
I just got my car back from the dealership and they gave me a really sketchy story about why they can't get my bluetooth to work.

I have an 04 545i with an 11/2003 build date. It has the right TCU and everything else, but they told me they couldn't reprogram the main computer to make it work because of it's build date.

Based on what you guys are saying that story doesn't hold water. Any thoughts on this??

What should I do next and who can I follow up on this with?????

Thx
I have an 04 545i with a 10/2003 build date, I bought a Blue Tooth TCU and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. My mechanic "bimmersport.ca" will do the coding, they said it will work.
Why don't you wait until I get mine working, will post a progress report as soon as I start the work, hopefully next week.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
Thanks for the info, last question, can a E90 TCU work in an E60?
I believe they were interchangable. But it will have to be coded properly. The 84106972696 TCU is one example of a unit that was in both E60 and E90 cars.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by superjodz
I just got my car back from the dealership and they gave me a really sketchy story about why they can't get my bluetooth to work.

I have an 04 545i with an 11/2003 build date. It has the right TCU and everything else, but they told me they couldn't reprogram the main computer to make it work because of it's build date.

Based on what you guys are saying that story doesn't hold water. Any thoughts on this??

What should I do next and who can I follow up on this with?????

Thx
An 11/2003 build car wouldn't have a bluetooth capable TCU, unless the TCU was subsequently replaced with a newer unit at some point. What is the date on the TCU? Keep in mind that the dealer will be limited to what they can and will do. When you do your own coding (or find an enthusiast near you who successfully codes), you have a bit more flexability in getting things activated. You can add options to the VO that weren't original to the car, you can code individual moduals, change individual module settings, etc. That said, if the TCU itself is newer than say 03/2004, the car should be codable for BT activation. Mine 545 is an 09/2003 build (non-navi), and not only do I have BT, I also have Concierge and repair reminder services available if I want to pay for it, with the TCU I'm using (an 07 build).
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

what is the Concierge option you speak of?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

LOL I just checked the TCU that installed in call and it has a manufacturing date of 2006. Sigh, I bought a TCU for nothing...oh well I can easily sell it here in Canada
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth enable TCU - question-photo-11-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My blue tooth now works after it was coded

Can't find a way how to mute the call though, and all of a sudden voice command works but says it cannot understand or sorry? and then system off.

Happy about Bluetooth though
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Members

Guys, I have 2003 E60, CCC... Haven't looked at TCU itself but I have Bluetooth option in iDrive Menu, I can pair it with the phone, however nothing else then pairing works. I also have inCar Phone. what does this mean? btw I suspect my TCU is broken (it unlocks my windows and drains my battery) so, still good to know.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 2004, Chevy Camaro '67

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Don't rely on a sticker. Look at the TCU build date. Anything listed as prior to March 2004 (listed on the sticker in DAY.MONTH.YEAR format, ie "USA 01.03.2004") simply won't work correctly. The Bluetooth hardware existed in the early build TCUs - hence the stickers and such. However, the hardware driving the system couldn't handle telematics and BT simultaneously. The early TCU bluetooth modules were hardware-disabled to ensure proper telematics remained operational. Unfortunately, that meant retrofits for those with TCUs earlier than March 2004.
Hi Advancedlogic, Do you think that I could use BT in my '04 by disabling the telematics? I can pair my iPhone 5, make and receive call, access to my phonebook but the callers can't ear me... I tried both microphones options: "USED_MICROPHONES wert_01 (1 microphone) or wert_02 (2 microphones)" but none helped... Thanks!