Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth cannot be activated in iDrive 05' E61

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission
Default Bluetooth cannot be activated in iDrive 05' E61

Hi folks,

I just wondered whether anyone has come across this issue. My car went in for a routine Brake Fluid and Oil service at a local BMW dealer. They also replaced some battery terminal connector as part of a recall. Since then my bluetooth has not connected to my phone. I checked the bluetooth options and it appears un-checked. I try to check it, but nothing happens.

Just wondered if there is a cheap or a costly fix. Obviously the dealer can offer reason why this has happened. Is there anything I could try before going back to them?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Contributors

You should "re-pair" your phone.

Seems unlikely that disconnecting the battery for the terminal recall caused it to drop and I don't remember if I had that happened when mine was done.

If it worked normally before the dealer service, and you cannot reconnect BT to your phone, I'd bring it back to the dealer and ask them to un-do whatever they did. Shouldn't be a cost to you assuming it worked normally before they had the work done.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Well I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20mins last night. Checked the bluetooth activation screen and I still could NOT click the activation check-box. So took it to the dealer who had a quick look and could not determine the cause, ans said it was probably a coincidence that it stopped working while it was in for service and recall fix. He suggested letting them have more time with it, so I will leave the car with them next week and see if they can find out why it has stopped working.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 AM
New Members

Hi guys,

I have a 2006 E60 BMW 530D m/sport and it looks like there is no bluetooth available on this car as i have tried to pair using my android and it will not find the car, also on the idrive under communication it says "mobile phone" not available???
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Supertramp
Hi guys,

I have a 2006 E60 BMW 530D m/sport and it looks like there is no bluetooth available on this car as i have tried to pair using my android and it will not find the car, also on the idrive under communication it says "mobile phone" not available???
Hi Supertramp - It might be that the car did not have Bluetooth module - search the forum for bluetooth and you should be able to find some things you could try to check. But on the face of it, your car probably does not have it.

If you had bluetooth and it was enabled, you should be able to click the iDrive controller down, scroll down to communications, then see the option to enable bluetooth, once enabled. It should then allow you to pair with your phone.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 AM
New Members

Hi kkrazykool,

Thanks mate, it would seem that there is no blue tooth connectivity I find this strange as the previous owner who purchased her from new had it fully spec'd, "heads-up, SAT Nav, Pro Logic 7 sound system, rear blinds etc etc ..

Anyway not the end of the world
Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM
New Members

Hi guys,

Did you looked left side in the trunk? Pull the cover and look may you have TCU module.It is a gray big box and should have some fiber connectors.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: E34 530 V8 M-Technic manual upgraded to 540 6-speed manual E61 530dA - daily driver E46 GTR race car - under construction

Originally Posted by kkrazykool
Well I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20mins last night. Checked the bluetooth activation screen and I still could NOT click the activation check-box. So took it to the dealer who had a quick look and could not determine the cause, ans said it was probably a coincidence that it stopped working while it was in for service and recall fix. He suggested letting them have more time with it, so I will leave the car with them next week and see if they can find out why it has stopped working.
Any update on the bluetooth issue you had? Did the dealer find the problem?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Hi guys,

Hello Supertramp, check your build date, for 2006 Bluetooth became standard on the E60 (at least in the U.S.), so unless you have a VERY early build (before 09/2005) then you have a faulty TCU. Also you can check the TCU in the trunk (boot) to see if it has 2 symbols on it: 1) the Motorola "M" and the Bluetooth symbol, if not, then sorry BT isn't available on your car.
My TCU went bad, the dealer quoted me $1400 to replace and fix, my repsonse? I pointed to my BT headset and said "this is $50, I am not paying you $1400 for it". I picked up a TCU on Ebay for $98, then just had it coded by an indy shop - problem solved.

Last edited by pjinca; 01-10-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM
New Members

Default Bluetooth Capability

Thanks for the advice, will look in the trunk and see what it says, or I will also go the route of a TCU unit, as ususal BMW would most likely charge the earth which they are famouse for ....

Quick Reply: Bluetooth cannot be activated in iDrive 05' E61