Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Better Bluetooth Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Tsoup

And I note in your pic you don't have the red/white RCA plugs going into left/right channels of the Sure board...perhaps b/c you have my setup...no Aux 'board' that the plugs wld be soldered to (Aux board)?? So w/no Aux board it's just the one connection frm Aux cable to Sure middle jack?? I did note one of your pics has the white headphone jack in middle and a black plug connected to the side jack(of Sure board)...not sure what that's about/for.
No, I have the AUX connection in front of the rear seats just like the pictures show. I just opted not to use the RCA connection; I'm using the 3.5 mm headphone jack instead. You pick one or the other.

Then, the cig lighter connection (power): I don't fully grasp this yet. I believe a wire is tapped or spliced to go to Sure board (soldered somewhere on board). I wld like to have the option of listening to music with car off though...which might require another power source frm my limited understanding.
There is a female "barrel" connector on the board that you can use to supply the power. I felt that was more safe than trying to solder directly onto the board. I had a spare power supply from some other electronic device that I sacrificed the male connector for to tap into the cigarette lighter leads.

To listen to Bluetooth with the car off, you'll need to find a fuse that stays active with the ignition off and tap into that. Just be careful because you'll open yourself to a whole host of battery drain problems if somehow you draw power for an extended period of time.

Thanks for walking me through this. I didn't want to order board before fully understanding - nothing worse than going in and missing something then having to put things back together unfinished! I think I'm ready to order the board now!
I understand completely! I had issues comprehending how the connections are made too. I finally had a friend who's an electrical engineer help me put it all together.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by JayArras
No, I have the AUX connection in front of the rear seats just like the pictures show. I just opted not to use the RCA connection; I'm using the 3.5 mm headphone jack instead. You pick one or the other.

There is a female "barrel" connector on the board that you can use to supply the power. I felt that was more safe than trying to solder directly onto the board. I had a spare power supply from some other electronic device that I sacrificed the male connector for to tap into the cigarette lighter leads.
THIS: I asked about this above but this explains the "other" connection I mentioned you have: The black 'barrel' connection is the power cord!! I also verified it by once again going back to the top of the post (pg 1). Now to find or buy a 12v power cord!! I also like this as the cleaner option instead of soldering.

I do see the "VCC" and "GND" areas on the board now...I believe this is power. Solder to the board via the cig lighter is what I've seen...I don't believe no one ever simply states: "solder your black side cable to the GND area or the white/black side cable to the VCC area of the Sure Board". Or red/black cables etc. I don't know which way they actually go. My point is I guess this is why this post is still getting questions!! loll

To listen to Bluetooth with the car off, you'll need to find a fuse that stays active with the ignition off and tap into that. Just be careful because you'll open yourself to a whole host of battery drain problems if somehow you draw power for an extended period of time.

I understand completely! I had issues comprehending how the connections are made too. I finally had a friend who's an electrical engineer help me put it all together.
I wouldn't use for extended periods but I don't wanna get into messing w/fuses etc. So I'll prolly just leave it at this. Funny story: As teenagers we went to next town over visiting family. My "brother" the mechanically inclined one //side eye!!// decided he knew the fix to my mom's car that wouldn't start when we were ready to drive back home. He put aluminum foil on a fuse that not only brought the car back to life and started, but it also caught fire! The fire was put out and the car needed an expensive tow back home w/damaged electricals! loll Thankfully he's certified now!! loll
Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Default HOW to have BOTH??? Keep Aux -- add BT Module

Now that I have all my parts in place and ready to install, what is needed or what is the process for keeping the Aux input - and adding Bluetooth?? I see Roskinc has a BT Kit that he sells that allows this but after looking at the install video and scouring forums, I can't figure out what and or how.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

Assuming your going to install the BT board at the back of the center console where your aux input is that is real easy as well as shown in previous pics, just connect the the BT output wires at tha back of the aux socket, preferably soldered.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Assuming your going to install the BT board at the back of the center console where your aux input is that is real easy as well as shown in previous pics, just connect the the BT output wires at tha back of the aux socket, preferably soldered.
Hey Thanks but that's not what I'm asking.
1.) My 04 530i (10/2003 Build) Sport didn't have Aux in back. I purchased Roskinc Aux cable kit which is installed up front 2yrs ago.
2.) I just purchased the Sure BT Board and was prepping to install using the Aux port/cable/jack that I installed up front. I've read all 19pgs of this post several times as well as youtube clips and NOW understand how to install it using my Aux port.
3.) My post question is how to keep my non OEM Aux and add BT.

Unfortunately, I only learned after purchasing everything that Roskinc also has an adapter allowing for both (Aux and BT). So already having all the parts, I can't be too far off from the end goal....I just haven't been able to find info on the net or forums on how to keep them both - when they're NON OEM installed. I have also reached out to ask Roskinc but no response yet. Thx.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Administrator

All you need to do is tap into the two leads from the wires that run to your OEM aux to the Sure board. What you should know, though, is that it's not a good idea to use both because whatever device you plug in could blow the board. It's not expecting an amplified signal.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

All you need to do is tap into the two leads from the wires that run to your OEM aux to the Sure board. What you should know, though, is that it's not a good idea to use both because whatever device you plug in could blow the board. It's not expecting an amplified signal.
My suggestion in that case would,be to install a switch in the power circuit of the BT board and turn it off when you want to use the aux from another input, I for myself did not even install the aux socket as I could not see the need for it once you start using Bluetooth ......
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I too, disconnected the aux port at the recommendation of my electrical engineer friend. With Bluetooth built into almost every audio device these days, I can't see the future need for it. I decried losing the cassette player in my E39, but I can't remember the last time I played one.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:18 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
My suggestion in that case would,be to install a switch in the power circuit of the BT board and turn it off when you want to use the aux from another input, I for myself did not even install the aux socket as I could not see the need for it once you start using Bluetooth ......
That sounds too complicated and I haven't read where that's been done. At the time 2yrs ago, the Aux input was all the rage. That was my first install and coding project. Now it's BT and losing the cables.

I too, disconnected the aux port at the recommendation of my electrical engineer friend. With Bluetooth built into almost every audio device these days, I can't see the future need for it. I decried losing the cassette player in my E39, but I can't remember the last time I played one.
I did see where you stated this previously. My desire or thoughts to keep the Aux is for older non-BT Ipod and simple users of my car....if it's doable and not overly complicated.

Roskinc.com has the answer on his product page but outside of his pkg kit, it's not clear what's all involved. If the dual option is in the type of board, I just need to know and decide if I want to keep or return this one and get the dual option board/kit etc....yes, it is already sounding overly complicated! lol

Last edited by Tsoup; 03-13-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM
New Members

Default Bluetooth Adapter Installed!!!

So I finally decided to do this mod. I had previously ordered everything but it all sat on counter b/c I was fearful of getting in and not having something or other options if the main "simple" (so it appears) option failed. I went to auto stores seeing if I could buy a clean fuse tap - and guidance "where" to plug it - but both where blah, blah, blah.

Anyways...I am going back to Aux cable b/c 1) it has a muffled sound - Mine is NOT as crystal clear as everyone else claims. The Aux cable IS crystal clear...or normal I would say. 2) It does NOT Pair easy. 3) It does NOT pair more than one device at a time..i.e. My Note 4 and my wife's IPhone 6.

Pairing: I have to go through a whole exercise of car switched on, to car fully started. Turning off Bluetooth on my Note 4 to allow it to rescan. Reselecting Aux on the dash (iDrive). In my experiment, this (selecting or reselecting Aux) appeared to "turn on" or make the Sure HiFi appear on the Bluetooth list. Once it's listed, then the exercise of selecting it but it won't connect. Sometimes (prolly initially) it appears as Hex, then later as the name.

It's just too much running around the block to only get a muffled sound. My plan going forward is to revert back to the Aux cable until I can narrow down the right year etc OEM BMW TCU to purchase.

FYI: What I mean by getting in and finding out instructions where not as easy as stated. Others used the cigarette lighter in the rear to tap for power source. I've made it clear I was using the front since that's where my Aux cable is located. Well getting to the bottom side of the front cigarette lighter was a roadblock. Couldn't find info nowhere w/my stereo NOW out!! I found and used the cigarette lighter under the passenger side glove box. After pulling the panel (underneath the glove box) the wires and plug are right there to pull out. Plus, the lighter is labeled pos/neg on the cover for semi-novices like myself. I used the blue 3M Quick Connects to tap into the wires to my power plug I bought. All of my connects are a simple plug in for the Aux, and plug in for the power - no soldering!! Clean is what I wanted!!

Hope this helps others still searching for Bluetooth answers for their non "enabled" Bluetooth E60!!

Quick Reply: Better Bluetooth Streaming