Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

basic bluetooth questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
B1N
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got bluetooth activated on my car, ive seached these questions before and found the answers but cant seem to find the threads again

1) When i get an incoming call with a passenger in the car, and i dont want them to hear the conversation, what are my options? Do i have to disable bluetooth before accepting the call? i tried to pick up my phone but it was still through idrive, do i have to accept on my phone? (usually if i open it up it will automatically connect)

2) do mp3 ringtones play through the speaker or do i have to set it?

thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by B1N' post='499368' date='Nov 27 2007, 12:36 AM
I just got bluetooth activated on my car, ive seached these questions before and found the answers but cant seem to find the threads again

1) When i get an incoming call with a passenger in the car, and i dont want them to hear the conversation, what are my options? Do i have to disable bluetooth before accepting the call? i tried to pick up my phone but it was still through idrive, do i have to accept on my phone? (usually if i open it up it will automatically connect)

2) do mp3 ringtones play through the speaker or do i have to set it?

thanks
1)You will have to disable bluetooth prior to accepting the call to make it private. Accepting the call from your phone instead of your idrive will still result in the call being connected through the car speakers. Another option is to kick the passengers out of the car.

2)Ringtones will only ring from your phone not through the cars speakers.

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='499375' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:44 PM
1)You will have to disable bluetooth prior to accepting the call to make it private. Accepting the call from your phone instead of your idrive will still result in the call being connected through the car speakers. Another option is to kick the passengers out of the car.
Not entirely true. Sure disabling BT will make the car drop the connection (leaving it active on the phone) but many phones have an option to switch to the handset without severing the BT connection to the car.

For example, on a Blackberry, while you're on a call connected to the car, you can choose "activate handset" or "activate speakerphone." Either one will cause the call to drop off of the car's speakers and instantly be available on the handset or the phone's built in speaker (depending on what you select, of course.)

This feature comes in really handy when you are on a call and want to get out of the car (say to pump gas) but not have any interruption of the call, etc. Since the BT connection is never severed, you can instantly switch back to the car once you get back in. Obviously, this only works if you don't stray too far away from the car, etc...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='499395' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:43 AM
Not entirely true. Sure disabling BT will make the car drop the connection (leaving it active on the phone) but many phones have an option to switch to the handset without severing the BT connection to the car.

For example, on a Blackberry, while you're on a call connected to the car, you can choose "activate handset" or "activate speakerphone." Either one will cause the call to drop off of the car's speakers and instantly be available on the handset or the phone's built in speaker (depending on what you select, of course.)

This feature comes in really handy when you are on a call and want to get out of the car (say to pump gas) but not have any interruption of the call, etc. Since the BT connection is never severed, you can instantly switch back to the car once you get back in. Obviously, this only works if you don't stray too far away from the car, etc...
Oops, that will work too. Sorry for the partial info. And I have a Blackberry
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport

If you havea nokia, the bottom right of your screen on the phone will label one of the buttons as "loudspeaker". Push that, followed immediatly by pushing the call accept button, and you should be good to go. Doing this basically does the following: disconnects the phone from the BT "headset", routes sound to the phone's own speakerphone functionality, routes sound to "normal" operation.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='499395' date='Nov 27 2007, 05:43 AM
This feature comes in really handy when you are on a call and want to get out of the car (say to pump gas) but not have any interruption of the call, etc.
We are banned from using mobile/cell phones on the forecourt!! They shout at you over the tannoy system until you turn it off.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by megablade' post='499451' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:04 AM
We are banned from using mobile/cell phones on the forecourt!! They shout at you over the tannoy system until you turn it off.

All the studies I have seen suggest that static discharge from a mobile phone could never cause the ignition of vapor at a filling station.

The most compelling evidence links getting back in the car during the pumping of the gas as the most likely cause of combustion. There is a staggeringly large majority of these kinds of accidents with women, who are much more likely to return to the comfort of the vehicle while the gas is pumping.

So... cell phone use while pumping gas isn't dangerous. Getting back into the car is. Stay outside and pump your gas.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='499510' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:45 AM
All the studies I have seen suggest that static discharge from a mobile phone could never cause the ignition of vapor at a filling station.

The most compelling evidence links getting back in the car during the pumping of the gas as the most likely cause of combustion. There is a staggeringly large majority of these kinds of accidents with women, who are much more likely to return to the comfort of the vehicle while the gas is pumping.

So... cell phone use while pumping gas isn't dangerous. Getting back into the car is. Stay outside and pump your gas.
I agree -- I've yet to see any convincing evidence that the phone is causing any fires, etc.

This subject was discussed at some length in the following thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=39572
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

On my motorola V3c, when i disconnect BT from the phone (option -> disconnect BT), it will go back to the phone speaker for awhile, but in 10-20 seconds it will automatically jumps back to BMW BT. Is that normal?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='500216' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:28 PM
On my motorola V3c, when i disconnect BT from the phone (option -> disconnect BT), it will go back to the phone speaker for awhile, but in 10-20 seconds it will automatically jumps back to BMW BT. Is that normal?
Unfortunately, yes it is. I have seen it on my V710, V3c, Maxx ve and now my V9m.

Quick Reply: basic bluetooth questions