Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

30pin bluetooth dongle on OEM iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!
Default 30pin bluetooth dongle on OEM iPod integration

I have been searching for some time and can't find a definite answer to this question. I want to have iPhone connect via Bluetooth to my OEM Bluetooth receiver and stream music (Pandora/Spotify/Youtube) music. I know I know, i can just put a old iPod in there and have it work. I really wanted to play the music on my iPhone and stream them via Bluetooth.

I saw this:
CoolStream : Bluetooth Receiver for iDock | | Exeter Science & Entertainment

Basically plug this to the 30-pin connector in my glove box and stream music to it while controlling the volume, back/forward etc. from either the steering wheel and or controls in the center.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone confirm it will work. Not necessarily with this brand but this similar device. There are a ton of them on eBay.

I don't have the aux (headphone jack) in as 2006 did not have that option. I have the (AUX) port being used on the CCC with the OEM iPod integration module.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

This is what I use that might help you
White 3 5mm Stereo USB Bluetooth Audio Music Receiver Adapter for Speaker Phone | eBay

Basically it creates a Bluetooth receiver powered by USB and transmits the audio through the aux to whatever can receive audio from an aux. Then it can do exactly what you want. I use spotify in car all the time.

If you don't have a USB powered ipod port, you can just use a USB cigarette lighter adapter for power.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

Thanks for the info sahiljain22.

Unfortunately, I don't have the USB option. The car only had i-Drive. I had the dealer install the OEM iPod integration with only the 30-pin connector in the glove box. I dont have the headphone or USB port in the center console . The only solution I can think of is the one above.

Does anyone know if it is easy to install a USB port or headphone AUX port on the i-Drive?

I found this on Bimmerfest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69512

Last edited by bimmerspeed; 03-24-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61

I'm a new owner of a 2008 E61 and have been trying to figure out a use for the glove box mounted iPod interface. I have an Android phone so the iPod connection isn't much use to me.

I purchased a Bluetooth A2DP to 30 pin reciever Amazon.com : Mpow® Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker : Docking Stations : Computers & Accessories which works great with the aux jack and Y connector, but does not work with the glove box iPod adapter. The issue is that the bluetooth adapter doesn't emulate an iPod, so the option to select the input is never enabled in iDrive.

Luckily I ran across a Bluetooth adapter that does emulate an iPod! The Viseeo Tune2Air adapter Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories emulates an iPod and will display track information and allow skipping tracks via the steering wheel controls. It's not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

--Eric

Last edited by ericgla; 09-18-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

ericgla,

Thanks for the heads up! When you pair your phone with the ViseeO you can stream music and control the iphone with the steering wheel. Now the next question. What if you want to take a phone call. Since you are connected to another bluetooth device are you able to connect to the phone bluetooth thats connected to iDrive at the same time to answer the call using the cars bluetooth?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61

As long as you are able to connect to both bluetooth devices at the time time it works perfectly. The easiest way is to make sure you have paired your bluetooth phone first, then pair with the Tune2Air. Otherwise the Tune2Air will atttempt to handle both phone and system sounds.

--Eric
Old 04-06-2014, 02:40 AM
Members

I have an '07 E60 in which I've installed the OEM iPod kit. Last year, tried the Coolstream (didn't work with OEM iPod adapter) and Viseeo. Viseeo worked, but frequently dropped the connection, or did not find the connection if the iPod/Phone was not in the car when it started. This was annoying in the winter when I would warm the car prior to driving. Resulted in having to disconnect and reconnect the Viseeo, or restart the car. I recently installed the Dension Gateway 500sBT. Provides BT (A2DP), USB, and an extra AUX port. If you do not have BT phone capabilities in the car, it will provide that as well, or work with existing BMW BT phone audio support. Works with all devices (not just Apple) and routes cleanly through the car. I never liked pulling out and tucking away wires, etc. Dension is the most expensive of them @ +$500 form the manufacturer and most ebay resellers, but I found Enfig Audio which sells them for $450. A clean DIY installation is is demonstrated on

Last edited by ovrshado; 04-06-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added car information
Old 06-02-2014, 11:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Are there any options for Ipod integration on my 04 545i that doesnt have the 3.5 jack or the usb port??
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xdrive --- JB4 G5 iso --- BMS intake --- e85 ---
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by eazye757
Are there any options for Ipod integration on my 04 545i that doesnt have the 3.5 jack or the usb port??
I used this in my previous car and it was very good. Gave it to my sister. It can overpower the fm stations in NYC.

Amazon.com: Satechi Bluetooth Hands-free Car Stereo Fm Transmitter for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, Nexus S, HTC One X, S, Motorola Droid Razr HD, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus G and Bluetooth Stereo A2DP supported Devices: Electronics Amazon.com: Satechi Bluetooth Hands-free Car Stereo Fm Transmitter for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, Nexus S, HTC One X, S, Motorola Droid Razr HD, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus G and Bluetooth Stereo A2DP supported Devices: Electronics

That's the inexpensive way. You could always get a retrofit as well.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
bqt
New Members

My Ride: NA
Default 30-pin to bluetooth...

I have been talking both with Viseeo (who makes the Tune2Air) and other companies making similar devices.

Unfortunately, none really do what I was looking for, which essentially would be a device you plug into your 30-pin connector in the car, and then your phone is available trhough the stereo. Both control, sound, and track information. None of the companies I talked to seems to really be interested in fixing it either.
The Tune2Air comes closest, in that it do provide the functionality, but only if you have an Apple device. For non-Apple devices, it has some limited functionality only. But worse is that the Tune2Air seems buggy, and at least for me only works about 1 time out of three.

If anyone know of any other devices worth testing, let me know.

For now, I have decided that I will build the device I need myself. I have all the components, and have a prototype running already. Still need to fix a couple of bugs, and then make a neat small pcb and package to have in my car.
Unfortunately, making these things myself don't exactly make them as cheap as some (non-working) options out there. I'd guess the cost for a device ends up at about $150 in the end. Possibly that price could drop some if I bought components for lots of them. Also, it will not be fast actually assembling them. But if anyone would be interested, they can contact me.

Also, if anyone have any questions about more details surrounding all of this, just ask.

Johnny (bqt@softjar.se)

Quick Reply: 30pin bluetooth dongle on OEM iPod integration