6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

SMG steeringwheel installed (on steptronic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='548587' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:19 PM
I am going to do mine soon as well (to m5 steering wheel),
i have the active steering and does it mean i'll need to take it to the dealer for resetting the AS as well?
why would need the AS reset after disconnect the battery?

Cheers
keith
Yep, you need to do the AS reset.
That's what they told me, and asking the dealer: they confirmed that. So that's what I did.
It's no biggy, just 20 minutes at the dealer.
And yes, it kinda sucks that we have to go the the dealer for every disconnect of the battery.

But in the end it was definately worth it!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

DocHorror thanks but also Fred is helping me out big time.....but sadly my parts have not arrived yet as "someone" sent it to the wrong "COUNTRY" ...hope it will be resolved soon ....
Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='551181' date='Mar 26 2008, 07:52 PM
Yep, you need to do the AS reset.
That's what they told me, and asking the dealer: they confirmed that. So that's what I did.
It's no biggy, just 20 minutes at the dealer.
And yes, it kinda sucks that we have to go the the dealer for every disconnect of the battery.

But in the end it was definately worth it!!!!!!
Thanks for the info
Probably need to call my dealer before i get mine fitted in the local garage

btw...Is that going to be a problem if i cant get the AS resetted at dealer straight after the installation?
Thanks all your helps mate
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='551806' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info
Probably need to call my dealer before i get mine fitted in the local garage

btw...Is that going to be a problem if i cant get the AS resetted at dealer straight after the installation?
Thanks all your helps mate

I drove for about 5 km to the dealer. Apart from the 'AS-warning light' I couldn't feel a difference. So, I don't think it matters if you drive a few days or so without resetting. But while you are calling your dealer, ask them...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way to reset it is turn your steering all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, and center it. Then drive for a few Km and it'll be gone. When you park, for car with AS, you have to center your steering wheel.
There is no need to go to dealer. It was just because you park with steering wheel at angle.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='548311' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:50 PM
For this I went to my BMW dealer, they were very suprised and delighted to see the SMG steeringwheel working! on the steptronic.

In dealers they are all idiots and every time I go there they confirm my opinion.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by my530i' post='551976' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:06 AM
The way to reset it is turn your steering all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, and center it. Then drive for a few Km and it'll be gone. When you park, for car with AS, you have to center your steering wheel.
There is no need to go to dealer. It was just because you park with steering wheel at angle.
Thanks for that You've just saved me few bucks of getting it reset at the dealer.
But one silly question, do you do it while the car stationary (with the engine running) or you need to driving at low speed to get it done?
And will the message disappear after doing it?
btw, will order your kit in early May, so pls save two kits for me Fred
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='551976' date='Mar 28 2008, 01:06 AM

Wow, guess I should have tried this first, before visiting the dealer.

I'll try it next time if I have to disconnect the battery.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributors

hey all, so i talked to my BMW guys and they said that you wouldn't need any additional wiring. just replace the steering wheel and you're set. any thoughts?

Also, anyone have pricing on the 650 and M6 steering wheels?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

thats friggin sweeet!

Quick Reply: SMG steeringwheel installed (on steptronic)