Matt paint

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone got any experience of getting a 5GT (or similar) repainted with a matt black finish? Any views on costs and practicalities would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Contributors

All that can be said about the matte paint finish is that while it may look nice on a showroom car, the practical world we live in does not fit that view. Roundel, which is the monthly magazine for the BMW Car Club of America has a great story in this months edition on this topic as they are discussing the special edition Frozen Grey M3 that was recently offer in the US, of which only 30 were made and sold within minutes. Basically BMW has you sign many waivers on the paint specifically, gives basic guidelines on cleaning the car, which notes not to ever use any waxes or any "forceful" cleaning of the paint itself, and that infact if you have an issue where you get a problem with the paint, whether due to weather/natural conditions, ie "bird droppings" or road tar, what have you, or if you get into an accident, you cannot repair the paint on the panel that was damaged, but would potentially have to have the entire car repainted! And, most BMW NA service centers would not be able to repaint the car in any case as they do not have the ability to do so....so in short...great look in the showroom or at the autoshow, but not practical in any way, shape, or form if you actually drive your car on the street!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by m630
All that can be said about the matte paint finish is that while it may look nice on a showroom car, the practical world we live in does not fit that view. Roundel, which is the monthly magazine for the BMW Car Club of America has a great story in this months edition on this topic as they are discussing the special edition Frozen Grey M3 that was recently offer in the US, of which only 30 were made and sold within minutes. Basically BMW has you sign many waivers on the paint specifically, gives basic guidelines on cleaning the car, which notes not to ever use any waxes or any "forceful" cleaning of the paint itself, and that infact if you have an issue where you get a problem with the paint, whether due to weather/natural conditions, ie "bird droppings" or road tar, what have you, or if you get into an accident, you cannot repair the paint on the panel that was damaged, but would potentially have to have the entire car repainted! And, most BMW NA service centers would not be able to repaint the car in any case as they do not have the ability to do so....so in short...great look in the showroom or at the autoshow, but not practical in any way, shape, or form if you actually drive your car on the street!

Couldnt have said it any better!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I saw a matte black SL55 AMG and a matte white E350 at the MB dealership where I get stuff for my wife's car.

I thought it looked cool on the AMG since it was a sports car - didn't like it much on the E class.

I didn't bother to check if the option cost more or less compared to normal factory paint. Never knew about the restrictions and waivers though....
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
New Members

Hello everyone; I have seeing new thread 5 Series orums. Its realy a Interesting site.So I want jion it.Please some help me...Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Members

Wrap it, don't paint it.

Linky

These people quoted me roughly £1800 to turn my X5 from grey to white
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Members

Here is a link to a photo of a matt grey F11

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/up...11-655x424.jpg
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Members

there is nothing like matt black finish on any car..leave alone GT..i am sure it'll look like a killer of a car..
Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i. Sport package, fully loaded. RPI race pipe. Full interior/ext LED lighting upgrades incl Angel Eyes.

Just vinyl wrap it, its non destructive, most have warranties of 4 to 5 years and if you get tired of it, it just peels off!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i. Sport package, fully loaded. RPI race pipe. Full interior/ext LED lighting upgrades incl Angel Eyes.

Just make sure it's a reputable company that does the work!