Bangle on the new GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Furious_g' post='1054360' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:53 PM
+2 Couldn't have said it better my self.
An American tranforming the motor instustry. The last time thath happend was Henry Ford and he was Irish !!
Have you guys been living in a cave or have you seen the news about GM (the healthcare & pensions company that also builds cars)
You can see Bungles herritage and visionary design skills in action in that company. He nearly did the same to BMW, until they kicked him out under a dark cloud
I beleive simple economic would prove that there would be a bidding war for Bungles skills if he was really so talented as you point out.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1054554' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:35 AM
An American tranforming the motor instustry. The last time thath happend was Henry Ford and he was Irish !!
Have you guys been living in a cave or have you seen the news about GM (the healthcare & pensions company that also builds cars)
You can see Bungles herritage and visionary design skills in action in that company. He nearly did the same to BMW, until they kicked him out under a dark cloud
I beleive simple economic would prove that there would be a bidding war for Bungles skills if he was really so talented as you point out.
1) Bangle simply began his career at Opel, and he was never the design leader. He didn't do anything to GM/Opel, so I have no idea why you keep raising this or implying that he's somehow to blame for their troubles in most of you posts.

2) As to whether Bangle is in demand, you do realize that most professionals and business leaders have non-compete covenants that limit, for a period, their ability to work for a competitor of their former employer? He probably has little financial need to work, so it's equally possible that he's simply taking time out.

3) Why so many anti-American jabs in your posts?

4) For someone with a forum post history that has a hugely disproportionate number of anti-Bangle posts in your short time with us, it strikes me as a little odd that you've either bought or were about to buy an E61, one of the poster children of the head-in-the-sand anti-Bangle brigade. Isn't that a little hypocritical? I also see from your post history that you came to the E60 from a 3-series, which from its age I am assuming to be an E46. A car that is often cited by the as one of the last classic BMW designs. And more to the point, a car that was actually largely the work of Mr Bangle.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I agree with most of your points however, in many cases it's not the design that sells the car. From the artist's renderings and the spy photos I like the F10 way more then the E60 which would be a first for me. Normally I have to hate a model for a while before learning to like it.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Interesting video. I think the e60 is a bit flamboyant. The F10 appears to be moving back in the direction of the e39.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='1054614' date='Nov 14 2009, 11:58 AM
I agree with most of your points however, in many cases it's not the design that sells the car. From the artist's renderings and the spy photos I like the F10 way more then the E60 which would be a first for me. Normally I have to hate a model for a while before learning to like it.
It depends on the styling for me. I like a design that's an instant classic, such as the E39. A design like the E60 is very polarizing, to luv it or hate it. It also takes a while to warm up to. Now I find the E60 to be a good looking car in its own way, but it will never be a "classic". Although, the F10, will be considered boring after the E60.

The auto industry goes thru phases. In the 90's all Japanese cars looked alike as did all German cars. Now the industry is producing more polarizing designs. Look at the Maxima and Acura TL or the CTS or many others. I think Bangle lead the way with the E65 and E60. It is now OK to do that.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1054151' date='Nov 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Needless to say, I disagree with most of the above and maintain my position that Bangle's work transformed BMW, and the industry, for the better.

Time will tell which of us is right.
+3.

Seems that member higher has a beef with California. I sure don't. Cali has so many great things going for it.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1055129' date='Nov 15 2009, 08:09 AM
+3.

Seems that member higher has a beef with California. I sure don't. Cali has so many great things going for it.
No beef with California, Guys, I even lived in Palo Alto for a time. Just some friendly banter about cultural differences and my view on Bangle's awful designs. I have an E61 M sport, which design wise is OK, not great though and before that the 3 touring, another of Bangle's designs, absolutely awful design and ride, which has been revised several times since Bangles departure/ No oild stick, temp gauge, run flate tyres, not the greatest moves and not followed by any other manufacturer, for obvious reasons.

As you said in a couple of years once BMW's design confidence returns, we will see what his heritage has left behind. Don't judge the F10 as his legacy as thsi will be a conservative knee-jerk reactio to Bangle, it will need a couple of years before the design 'bounce' settles back to classic BMW. It will then be interesteing to see what remains of his legacy design touches.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1054586' date='Nov 14 2009, 11:09 AM
1) Bangle simply began his career at Opel, and he was never the design leader. He didn't do anything to GM/Opel, so I have no idea why you keep raising this or implying that he's somehow to blame for their troubles in most of you posts.

2) As to whether Bangle is in demand, you do realize that most professionals and business leaders have non-compete covenants that limit, for a period, their ability to work for a competitor of their former employer? He probably has little financial need to work, so it's equally possible that he's simply taking time out.

3) Why so many anti-American jabs in your posts?

4) For someone with a forum post history that has a hugely disproportionate number of anti-Bangle posts in your short time with us, it strikes me as a little odd that you've either bought or were about to buy an E61, one of the poster children of the head-in-the-sand anti-Bangle brigade. Isn't that a little hypocritical? I also see from your post history that you came to the E60 from a 3-series, which from its age I am assuming to be an E46. A car that is often cited by the as one of the last classic BMW designs. And more to the point, a car that was actually largely the work of Mr Bangle.
so... the fabled new 5 series makes it's debut and....not a hint of the 'great' Bungle's legacy design. I think we can safely say that his era is over...and given he has not had another job offer since his departure (sacking) from BMW, we won't be seeing him or his designs again soon thank goodness.

I understand there is a job going at this old company 'GM'. Sure they can make use for him. Or i could use him to cut my lawn, wash my car, paint my house etc. I'm always happy to help the unemployed.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1062575' date='Nov 25 2009, 11:01 AM
so... the fabled new 5 series makes it's debut and....not a hint of the 'great' Bungle's legacy design. I think we can safely say that his era is over...and given he has not had another job offer since his departure (sacking) from BMW, we won't be seeing him or his designs again soon thank goodness.

I understand there is a job going at this old company 'GM'. Sure they can make use for him. Or i could use him to cut my lawn, wash my car, paint my house etc. I'm always happy to help the unemployed.
You really have no idea, do you...

Bangle was still at the helm when the F10 was designed, and when the F10 design was approved by BMW management.

Given production lead times, not only the F10 but also some future models to come, will still essentially be a product of the Bangle era.

More to the point, as an evolutionary and not a revolutionary design, the F10 has more than just a "hint" of the Bangle legacy - it is Bangle's legacy.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' Black Saphire 530i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated rear seats, Power sunshade, Logic 7 w/CD Changer, PDC, Fold down rear seats Mods* 19" Beyern Mesh wheels with Goodyear F1 pro A/S tires

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1062594' date='Nov 25 2009, 02:25 PM
You really have no idea, do you...

Bangle was still at the helm when the F10 was designed, and when the F10 design was approved by BMW management.

Given production lead times, not only the F10 but also some future models to come, will still essentially be a product of the Bangle era.

More to the point, as an evolutionary and not a revolutionary design, the F10 has more than just a "hint" of the Bangle legacy - it is Bangle's legacy.

I wasnt all that impressed with the e60 at first, but now I find it a beautiful design. I had never paid attention to how many car makers copied BMW's design until I owned one, it is now plainly obvious that many companies (especially japanese makers) copied the designs so much that there are times I can only tell its a BMW by the kidney grill if I dont get a really good look at it. With that many companies copying the design, I would have to say he was a success.

Personally, I like the looks of the new F10 as well, seems a bit more aggressive to me I guess, I hated the look of the GT though, but now I am warming up to that as well, especially since I have a dog, and any time we take a trip with her I dont get to drive my bmw, instead I have to use my 4 runner (which is a nice ride, but not as fun to drive).

Quick Reply: Bangle on the new GT