Bangle on the new GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1030204' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:12 AM
I couldn't disagree more! It is indeed the vision of the design chief that sets the direction and tone for the design teams to execute and operationalize. The vision is and was Bangle's, not the BMW board's. While others such as David Arcangeli and Adrian Van Hooydonk played key roles in executing on the designs for specific models, the design language and design philosophy was clearly Bangle's. Bangle had the design chief job since 1992, and more to the point, it is indeed Bangle who is credited with getting an otherwise notoriously conservative BMW board to approve some of the most radical designs seen in recent years. The flame surfacing design language was all his, and frankly he deserves WAY more credit than you're giving him here. He was indeed a true visionary, and more to the point he had the balls to push through designs that BMW would never have considered without him. I can't think of another designer who has had such an influence on the industry in recent years. More to the point, most of his peers felt the same way. About the only notable critic in his peer group was J Mays, design head at Ford. Personally, I don't think J Mays work comes even remotely close to Bangle - in both quality and influence. In that respect, I don't consider Mays to be fit to lace Bangle's boots.
+1.

Bangle, like many visionaries, was criticized and even reviled for his work when it came out. But my oh my has his design work stood the test of time. Now, in 2009, the E60's exterior design still looks fresh and modern IMHO.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I cannot remember the last new BMW design that I fell in love with right off the bat. Well, maybe the E46 M3 but that's about it. I have hated every new model to come out that was a complete departure from its predecessor. That does not include models like the M5, of course, because its change was more subtle. I hated the E60 and ended up owning two of them. I hated the new 3 series convertibles and again, now I am in love. I'm not sure why it is but it has been a continuing trend in the evolution of my taste and, from what I've read, it's fairly common.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' post='800680' date='Feb 24 2009, 06:41 PM
very nice video

i do think that Bangle will be missed over time, will be interesting to see where the next-next generation goes
+1
Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Bangle was the best that ever happend to Audi !!!

He (Bangle) works for himself now doesn't he ? Which is also, known as 'no-one will touch him after what he did to BMW design'
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1053934' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:36 AM
Bangle was the best that ever happend to Audi !!!

He (Bangle) works for himself now doesn't he ? Which is also, known as 'no-one will touch him after what he did to BMW design'
Bangle changed both the industry and BMW for the better. BMW is a poorer organization without him, and you'll see that in more conservative design language going forward.

BMW sales reached their highest ever levels due to the designs and design language he instigated. The E60 outsold the E39, and despite the initial furore around the E65 and E66 7-Series design, it went on to be the best selling version in the history of the model. In large part, this success was due to Bangle's vision and him having the biggest pair of balls in the business.

No other car designer has had the impact he has had on a mainstream brand in recent years.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1054029' date='Nov 13 2009, 01:12 PM
Bangle changed both the industry and BMW for the better. BMW is a poorer organization without him, and you'll see that in more conservative design language going forward.

BMW sales reached their highest ever levels due to the designs and design language he instigated. The E60 outsold the E39, and despite the initial furore around the E65 and E66 7-Series design, it went on to be the best selling version in the history of the model. In large part, this success was due to Bangle's vision and him having the biggest pair of balls in the business.

No other car designer has had the impact he has had on a mainstream brand in recent years.
+1. I'd really luv to know the real story behind his departure, I'll never believe it was mutual...he was forced out and now those that made the decision will have to find a way to the company forward.again.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1054029' date='Nov 13 2009, 02:12 PM

Like so many things in California, this is a completely out-of-date perspective based on a small snapshot of 'Bungles' reign.

BMW sales did reach a high point, not just for the 5 but other non-bungle designed models, they have since deflated to their lowest ever point

His design language has since been widely criticised and even BMW had taken every opportunity to wash it out of the current and future 'design language'.

Of course the E60 outsold the E39, like every model outsells is predecessor
Bungle did not have a vision; he bought American GM car design (his previous employer) to an iconic European design, driving down cost and quality to a price point. Look what his legacy did to GM. Time has shown that even a third-world designed ?Kia? can outsell a GM or any other US branded vehicle.

He doesn't have any balls, he's a 70's throw-back complete with 70's hair-style, beard and black crew-neck sweater, should fit in perfect in California then !!!

Thanks goodness BMW has seen sense, probably because of the economic downturn and collapsing sales and have put in place Adrian Van Hooydonk (a European) to return BMW to their conic design build and handling qualities. In a couple of years, once BMW's design confidence is back he will show you what great car design is all about.

Lastly, where is Bungle working now....that's correct for himself...let's see how much work he gets, this guy with the big balls ? and an etch-a-skectch.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1054080' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:06 AM
Like so many things in California, this is a completely out-of-date perspective based on a small snapshot of 'Bungles' reign.

BMW sales did reach a high point, not just for the 5 but other non-bungle designed models, they have since deflated to their lowest ever point

His design language has since been widely criticised and even BMW had taken every opportunity to wash it out of the current and future 'design language'.

Of course the E60 outsold the E39, like every model outsells is predecessor
Bungle did not have a vision; he bought American GM car design (his previous employer) to an iconic European design, driving down cost and quality to a price point. Look what his legacy did to GM. Time has shown that even a third-world designed ?Kia? can outsell a GM or any other US branded vehicle.

He doesn't have any balls, he's a 70's throw-back complete with 70's hair-style, beard and black crew-neck sweater, should fit in perfect in California then !!!

Thanks goodness BMW has seen sense, probably because of the economic downturn and collapsing sales and have put in place Adrian Van Hooydonk (a European) to return BMW to their conic design build and handling qualities. In a couple of years, once BMW's design confidence is back he will show you what great car design is all about.

Lastly, where is Bungle working now....that's correct for himself...let's see how much work he gets, this guy with the big balls ? and an etch-a-skectch.
Needless to say, I disagree with most of the above and maintain my position that Bangle's work transformed BMW, and the industry, for the better.

Time will tell which of us is right.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1054151' date='Nov 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Needless to say, I disagree with most of the above and maintain my position that Bangle's work transformed BMW, and the industry, for the better.

Time will tell which of us is right.
+1, seems someone 'above' had their ego hurt because an American transformed BMW and the entire automotive world...his impact is undenied and etched in stone (and lots of sheetmetal across the world).
Old 11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1030204' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:12 PM
I couldn't disagree more! It is indeed the vision of the design chief that sets the direction and tone for the design teams to execute and operationalize. The vision is and was Bangle's, not the BMW board's. While others such as David Arcangeli and Adrian Van Hooydonk played key roles in executing on the designs for specific models, the design language and design philosophy was clearly Bangle's. Bangle had the design chief job since 1992, and more to the point, it is indeed Bangle who is credited with getting an otherwise notoriously conservative BMW board to approve some of the most radical designs seen in recent years. The flame surfacing design language was all his, and frankly he deserves WAY more credit than you're giving him here. He was indeed a true visionary, and more to the point he had the balls to push through designs that BMW would never have considered without him. I can't think of another designer who has had such an influence on the industry in recent years. More to the point, most of his peers felt the same way. About the only notable critic in his peer group was J Mays, design head at Ford. Personally, I don't think J Mays work comes even remotely close to Bangle - in both quality and influence. In that respect, I don't consider Mays to be fit to lace Bangle's boots.
+2 Couldn't have said it better my self.

Quick Reply: Bangle on the new GT